Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any Aussie Vets on here?!

Any Aussie Vets on here?!

Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:44 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any Aussie Vets on here?!

Ok so today we put a deposit down on our wee boxer, he'll be home in 6 weeks aged just over 8 weeks. He'll have his first injection etc. Is it the same as in the UK here, until he's had his second injection he isn't allowed out for walks etc? Also is there anything else you'd recommend he had, like other innoculations for things that might kill him here in SEQ?

Anyone any recommendations for any vet companies or should we just go on what the locals say, and any pet insurance companies you'd say yay or nay to?
Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Aussie Vets on here?!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ok so today we put a deposit down on our wee boxer, he'll be home in 6 weeks aged just over 8 weeks. He'll have his first injection etc. Is it the same as in the UK here, until he's had his second injection he isn't allowed out for walks etc? Also is there anything else you'd recommend he had, like other innoculations for things that might kill him here in SEQ?

Anyone any recommendations for any vet companies or should we just go on what the locals say, and any pet insurance companies you'd say yay or nay to?
I've heard Parvo virus is shocking up here at present for instance...
Old Mar 7th 2011, 9:06 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Also, a kid in my class was telling me about an implant you can get that keeps ticks off?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:11 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We have had a massive issue with Parvo over here in WA and I wasn't allowed to let my baby out until a week after her 3rd vaccination.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

On pet insurance, there is one I would not recommend. And that is Medibank.

My cat had a tick paralysis in november and they still have not paid up.

They are trying every trick in the book, asking for stuff that has already been sent and then eventually they paid out but said it was up to a cap on the policy of $500 but the cap is quite clearly $1,000 so off we go again...

The minute this is sorted out my pet insurance and indeed my medical insurance which is also with them shall be transferred.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:11 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by northernbird
We have had a massive issue with Parvo over here in WA and I wasn't allowed to let my baby out until a week after her 3rd vaccination.
3rd vaccination?! Wasn't aware there was one, the breeder will give him his first and we're to get his second a month later...now I'm confuzzled!?! lol
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

3rd vaccination?! Wasn't aware there was one, the breeder will give him his first and we're to get his second a month later...now I'm confuzzled!?! lol
Both our dogs had 3. The 3rd and final vaccination was done at 16 weeks.

I went with a personal recommendation for our vets (from BE as it goes), he is local and not a chain and I haven't been disappointed. I am sure someone local to you will be along soon with a recommendation.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Doco will become famous soon enough

Ya our wee fella is due his second injections next week, then there is one more lot after that, then he is allowed out for walks
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Can definitely recommend Pet Plan, underwritten by Allianz. We pay $42 per month for our Staffy x Ridgeback. He had an accident and broke his leg, to cut a long story short and numerous trips to the vet and orthopedic surgeon, all claims were settled within 1 week of them receiving the claim form. We have the standard dog policy which covers up to $14,000 per year.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:07 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Doco
Ya our wee fella is due his second injections next week, then there is one more lot after that, then he is allowed out for walks
Oh my crikey, the poor wee lad is gonna be going stir crazy in the house if he has to wait for 2 sets of injections once he's home!!! What is the third injection for?

I found this: http://www.vetwest.com.au/caring-for-your-dog-1 but it doesn't mention a third jeg?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:52 am
Gutter Gob!!

Oh my crikey, the poor wee lad is gonna be going stir crazy in the house if he has to wait for 2 sets of injections once he's home!!! What is the third injection for?

I found this: http://www.vetwest.com.au/caring-for-your-dog-1 but it doesn't mention a third jeg?
This is on my vets website. http://www.joondalupvet.com.au/data/...ppy%20care.pdf

As you will see it says 2 weeks after the 2nd vaccination but with the horrendous parvo outbreak we have had here they recommended waiting until after the 16 week one.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Doco will become famous soon enough

Here's what it says in the bumph vet gave me when I was in making appointment,

"Your new puppy has been vaccinated up to date, however they will need 2 more boosters over the coming weeks. These are only temporary vaccinations and your new pet should be kept isolated from other pets and public areas (parks etc) until 2 weeks after the 3rd booster (approx 16/18/20 weeks). This is necessary to prevent diseases such as parvovirus, which is extremely harmful to dogs."

"Vaccinations are very important for the health of puppies and kittens. Your new puppy/kitten will have had its first vaccination but will require two more boosters. These vaccinations are for diseases that include Distemper, Hepatitis and Parainfluenza as well as Parvovirus. Two weeks after the 3rd booster the puppy/kitten will be fully vaccinated for a whole year."

I can only ever remember getting 2 lots for my dog at home, but that was years ago so maybe thats just the dementia! lol

It does seem like a long time to keep them in, and mine is just a small quiet puppy! even more difficult with a more boisterous pup! He's quite content with a few hours in the garden every day, but it does worry me a little that he will struggle to socialize with other dogs, if he doesn't get the chance to before his 3rd lot!

Laura x

P.S Congrats on finding "your Derek!" btw.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:12 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Okie dokies, poor wee man is gonna be bored senseless stuck inside all day! We have dogs to the back and on each side of us, 6 in total, should we worry about them?
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Okie dokies, poor wee man is gonna be bored senseless stuck inside all day! We have dogs to the back and on each side of us, 6 in total, should we worry about them?
You've got a garden haven't you? I'm sure I saw a pic of you kayaking in it. He can go out there, just not out and about where other dogs may be - I think anyway. Not a dog person.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 12:42 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You've got a garden haven't you? I'm sure I saw a pic of you kayaking in it. He can go out there, just not out and about where other dogs may be - I think anyway. Not a dog person.
Correct. Our dog just spent a long time outside in our back garden. It is about minimising the risk with severe parvo outbreaks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.