Any army wives

Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough
Default Any army wives

Just wondered if there were any other army families who came over via lateral transfer????

How has it turned out for you? Pm if you'd prefer
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:27 am
Just Joined

rabbitstew is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any army wives

My OH joined the ADF in July 07, So been out here a while now.

We came across and said that we would just look at it as if it were just another posting. So far we are enjoying it here in Brisbane. Saying that if we can live in Saudi for 3 years im sure we can live anywhere.

Tracey

Originally Posted by wiltshire_1
Just wondered if there were any other army families who came over via lateral transfer????

Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

GaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really niceGaryKristensen is just really nice

We came over last November and tried to treat it like another posting. We live in Toowoomba about an hour from Brisbane. It is probably only in the last month we have really settled in. I struggled to get a job (school teacher) and our 4 year old really struggled to settle in, he could not understand why he did not see nana every day. So have to say the biggest impact was on him, something we never took in to account. It has been a long few months. But we knew we had turned a corner when he told us the other day he was Australian and was living here forever.

We tried to treat it as another posting and after 22 years there had been plenty, but whilst that worked for us, like I say was a really struggle for him, at one point he was so unhappy I was contemplating returning to the UK I am just glad we persisted with him. He loves the outdoors and we focused on things like that, which helped.

Hope this has not been too dreary for you just tried to be honest!!! Though I can not fault the Aus Army they have been great we have a lovely house and the people husband works with are great.

Kat xx
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:01 pm
Now a Citizen!

seaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to allseaangel is a name known to all

We've been here since Feb 07. Have to say that the biggest impact has probably been on my husband. Took him a good few months to get to grips with the way things are done over. Having said that, once he did, he has been happy and is enjoying the job.

For myself and our children, the transition has been very smooth. I work part time during the week and the kids go to the local state school. No complaints as regards the education at my childrens' school.

We all enjoy an outdoor lifestyle and have made friends with other laterals and aussies alike.

So far the move has worked for us and we are glad we came over! Feel free to ask any questions!
Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:33 am
Just Joined

mrs_t is an unknown quantity at this point

We are in the process of transfering. Hoping to send off our visa next week and then just need to get the meds done. We are being posted to Brisbane and we cant wait however we probably wont get over there until Aug 2009.
Sam
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 11:59 pm

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

Hi There

We did the lateral transfer just over a year ago now (Sept 07). Although we were originally 'penciled in' for Townsville and came and did a recce, we were then sent to Sydney (working out of Holsworthy). Hopefully transferring to Toowoomba in about a years time.

Hubby has found some processes a little slow here, but I guess you have to get used to how everyone works. We are and always have been pretty self sufficient as a family especially when you haveto move every few years (as most military families do). That is not to say we don't miss friends and family but we are quite happy with our lot here. And as other posters have said, it is easier to treat it as another posting and see how you get on - nothing has to be forever.

Obviously, the area you are going to will have an impact on how you settle in. Ask yourself questions like ; Do you have to have loads of close friends and family; do you have to work and are you able to get out and about and explore; can you cope on your own for periods of time? I think these are all points you may have to consider and possibly adjust if need be.

I have to say, I don't particularly like where we are now in the suburbs of Sydney. Hubby has a 40 min commute and I think it is too noisy and built up but having said that there are some very good schools and we are a 40 min train ride to the centre of Sydney - pro's and con's.

Let us know where you are going, as I am sure one of us is already there or at least knows of another lateral in that area.....

Hope this helps. PM me if you want any info
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

We are actually already here! We are in Singleton and although DH seems to like the job so far, I am really struggling and considering going home.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:01 am

oddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really niceoddsinoz is just really nice

We are actually already here! We are in Singleton and although DH seems to like the job so far, I am really struggling and considering going home.
Hi There

You see - I really don't go on here a lot I am really sorry to here that youi are thinking of going home - I am sorry to hear that

PM me if you want any support/advice....

I am sure people have given you good advise but please feel free to contact me if you want a chat.

Sarah
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Bluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant future

Hi there,
we are in the early stages of joining the Aussie Army. Had interviews, given job offer, in Townsville (no supprises there) Not the best job offer for OH but we are going for the lifestyle rather than the job. OH had enough of pushing in British Army wants to enjoy family life a bit more. Hoping to move July 2009 with 3 children and a dog. We are all really excited, this is a fantastic chance for us all. Life is far too short, we are fed up living with 'What ifs', at least we will be able to say that we gave life a chance and start living. I haven't stopped smiling since we got the news!
Anyone else out there in or going to Townsville please get in touch.
From Kim.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluekim
Hi there,
we are in the early stages of joining the Aussie Army. Had interviews, given job offer, in Townsville (no supprises there) Not the best job offer for OH but we are going for the lifestyle rather than the job. OH had enough of pushing in British Army wants to enjoy family life a bit more. Hoping to move July 2009 with 3 children and a dog. We are all really excited, this is a fantastic chance for us all. Life is far too short, we are fed up living with 'What ifs', at least we will be able to say that we gave life a chance and start living. I haven't stopped smiling since we got the news!
Anyone else out there in or going to Townsville please get in touch.
From Kim.
Kim & Others,

Australian Regular Army (Royal Aust Engrs) was 24yrs & 9mths of my life from 81-05. During that time I was posted in Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Wodonga, Melbourne, Queenscliffe (a couple of time in few places). My brother also served ARA (now out) and is living in Townsville.

Had a bit of time with the BAOR with 26 Engr Regt whilst they were still in Iserlohn in Germany; so I understand the Brit Military as well.

Been working in Afghanistan for the past 3yrs as a contractor by which I have been able to see both forces doing the business. Met a number of 'Aussie Diggers' with Brit accents.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant futureBluekim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JR230898
Kim & Others,

Australian Regular Army (Royal Aust Engrs) was 24yrs & 9mths of my life from 81-05. During that time I was posted in Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney, Canberra, Wodonga, Melbourne, Queenscliffe (a couple of time in few places). My brother also served ARA (now out) and is living in Townsville.

Had a bit of time with the BAOR with 26 Engr Regt whilst they were still in Iserlohn in Germany; so I understand the Brit Military as well.

Been working in Afghanistan for the past 3yrs as a contractor by which I have been able to see both forces doing the business. Met a number of 'Aussie Diggers' with Brit accents.
Wow JR
so your the person to ask any burning questions if we have any?
We' ve spenta lot of our time out in Germany too, lived in Hohne, Osnabruck, Monchengladbach and Paderborn and loved it all.
OH was in Afghan too.
What are your views on Townsville and the Australian Army? I'd love to know what to expect.
Many thank.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Melbourne, Australia & Maputo, Mozambique, working in Somalia
JR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of lightJR230898 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bluekim
Wow JR
so your the person to ask any burning questions if we have any?
We' ve spenta lot of our time out in Germany too, lived in Hohne, Osnabruck, Monchengladbach and Paderborn and loved it all.
OH was in Afghan too.
What are your views on Townsville and the Australian Army? I'd love to know what to expect.
Many thank.
Bluekim,

Townsville is Qld's biggest regional centre. Not exactly remote but, distant from any other metropolis. You will notice the weather. The winter's aren't; it is more a 'dry season' but, delightful, with sunshine and clear blue skies every day. Coming into November and lasting until..maybe March, you will notice the humidity rise. Don't worry, there are enough swimming pools and aircon through all of the Married Quarters (MQs) and shopping centres, to seek refuge in.

You will notice a marked difference between the MQs in the UK compared to Aust. The ADF have really worked on the provision of community standard (or better) housing for it's members. If you are lucky there are MQ's available very close to Lavarack Barracks at Annandale, just across the road.

Townsville used to be the 'Ready Brigade' with units, or elements of units, standing ready for deployments. Which gave the place a 'harder edge' as they took the prospect of readiness very seriously. Now though, all the Bde's (Darwin, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney) are very much on the same state of readiness with current deployments of their elements into Afghanistan, Solomon Islands, and East Timor. If you aren't out...you are getting ready...if you are part of the Land Command. If you are posted to a Training Command unit you could generally rely on pretty much an 8-4 existence for a 2-3yr post.

Townsville used to be largely Army, and when the units were out of town (Ex of Ops) the retail sector used to notice the lowering in business. Not so much now, with the mineral sector boom the place has grown markedly and there is not too much that you will not find in the place.

You won't be alone as far as being Brit goes; plenty of others doing the same.

Weekends and leave periods in Townsville can be spent enjoying a lot of the regional natural features such as, on the Great Barrier Reef, up to Cairns, the Atherton Tablelands, or down to the Whitsunday Islands. Many people in Townsville own boats and fishing is a favourite pastime; along with beer-brewing!....which leads to many poolside BBQ's.

From having my daughter attending primary school while we were there, the school's are well used to the transient ADF population, and do their best to accommodate.

As far as the Australian Regular Army (ARA) goes, what your OH will notice is the change in size; much smaller. Which has it's benefits, as many people know each other well....serving in the ADF gives you a very wide network. Another difference is that we are not so 'wedded' to particular Regiments like in the UK, and during a career with them he will undergo postings to both Land Command & Training Command units and will not necessarily return to the same regiment he was in before. Because of the large distances between bases a posting will more often than not mean a change of housing location...just speaking of my experience, I lived in 17 different houses in 25 years...some of which were my decision to move because of doing things like buying and selling houses; not everyone has the same experience. The ADF are currently very conscious of winning and retaining personnel, and one aspect of that is trying to reduce family turbulence and disruption.

Drop us a line with specific questions.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by JR230898; Nov 26th 2008 at 4:31 am.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

frenchiex is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my God it is rumoured that Singleton is where we will be going if my hubby is accepted. Your post has freaked me,why do you want to leave,is it really that bad?lol
frenchiex
Old Dec 10th 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

BBabes is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to find this thread! DH has been offered a lateral transfer to Darwin. Any of you there already?

We're getting the paperwork together now and should be out there around Jan 2010. Feeling a bit apprehensive as it's such an unknown.
Old Dec 19th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

frenchiex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by frenchiex
Oh my God it is rumoured that Singleton is where we will be going if my hubby is accepted. Your post has freaked me,why do you want to leave,is it really that bad?lol
frenchiex
woo hoo job offer arrived. singleton it is. Im sooooooooooooooo excited just the visa hoops to jump and hopefully we will be there in June 2009. Any info anyone has would be grateful...................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.