Reload this Page >

Any advise for me please!!

Any advise for me please!!

Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

paulouise is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Any advise for me please!!

New girl again.
Should have told the story, we thought it would take months and months to get over, but husbands new employer has got us in on a 457 long stay visa.
So we are off very much sooner than i anticipated and i am s****ing it.
Really want to go but have no idea on anything really as no research or anything done. At the momnent we are too busy raising the cash as we also thought we would have time to save over the summer!
So i am a wreck at the moment having to give notice at work ect. Worrying about getting the boys into schools and money and my daughter (18) won't come as she is all loved up.
Any advise or words of wisdom would be great
thanks all
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:15 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advise for me please!!

Originally Posted by paulouise
New girl again.
Should have told the story, we thought it would take months and months to get over, but husbands new employer has got us in on a 457 long stay visa.
Really want to go but have no idea on anything really as no research or anything done. At the momnent we are too busy raising the cash as we also thought we would have time to save over the summer!
So i am a wreck at the moment having to give notice at work ect. Worrying about getting the boys into schools and money and my daughter (18) won't come as she is all loved up.
thanks all

OMG! welcome to BE Paulouise, when are you expecting to be going? Where are you heading? You have come to the right place, you will find out loads of info on here....just ask away, someone always is able to help! What age are your boys?

Jackie x
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
OMG! welcome to BE Paulouise, when are you expecting to be going? Where are you heading? You have come to the right place, you will find out loads of info on here....just ask away, someone always is able to help! What age are your boys?

Jackie x
Thanks Jackie,
We have been told about 4 weeks, we have xrays ect 22nd of this month. The sponser has been approved .
Boys are 7 & 16, i really dont know where to start. Paul has job in Sunshine but we have been told its not so good to live their.
Initially we think we should rent a place cheap as poss and then decide where to go. It has to be close enough to get back and forth to work for him, but also nice for the kids.
I have been applying for jobs in my field (social care for elderly) and have already had some positive feedback.
Really getting nervous now
Louise
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:35 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jackie,
We have been told about 4 weeks, we have xrays ect 22nd of this month. The sponser has been approved .
Boys are 7 & 16, i really dont know where to start. Paul has job in Sunshine but we have been told its not so good to live their.
Initially we think we should rent a place cheap as poss and then decide where to go. It has to be close enough to get back and forth to work for him, but also nice for the kids.
I have been applying for jobs in my field (social care for elderly) and have already had some positive feedback.
Really getting nervous now
Louise
4 Weeks! OMG thats no time! no wonder you are freaking out! Is your hubby's job on the Sunshine Coast? why have people said it is not a good place to live? I think you are right in renting first and then having a look around different areas before deciding where to settle. Is your hubby company able to sort out a rental or anything for you? How are your boys looking forward to it? Your daughter may change her mind later on, you never know. Will you find it hard to leave her behind?

J x
Old Mar 4th 2006, 11:45 pm
Living the Dream!

OOps sorry Louise I just read your other thread...you are off to Melbourne not Sunshine coast.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

New girl again.
thanks all
Hiya,

Welcome to BE.

Don't fret at all. I spent months doing research an loads of Aus stuff then just as our application was about to go in my husband was offered a 6 month contract in the US. Different country, different set of info.

We had 6 weeks in which to organise everything like renting out and packing up our house, me chucking in my job, saying good bye to family, all over Christmas, oh, and just for good measure we decided to tie the knot in that time too, so we could do it in front of all our friends and family. We also had all our medicals and police checks done in that time as our agent told us it would be easier to get it all done in UK up front. And we survived it and are here to tell the tale.

You have the support of your hubbies new employer and that should be a big help. Since I got here I found that my hubbies colleagues are keen to help and advise, and if we are not sure about anything we usually just ask them.

You will be fine, and flying by the seat of your pants just adds to the adventure!

Good luck with it all
Suzi
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by suzimc
Hiya,

Welcome to BE.

Don't fret at all. I spent months doing research an loads of Aus stuff then just as our application was about to go in my husband was offered a 6 month contract in the US. Different country, different set of info.

We had 6 weeks in which to organise everything like renting out and packing up our house, me chucking in my job, saying good bye to family, all over Christmas, oh, and just for good measure we decided to tie the knot in that time too, so we could do it in front of all our friends and family. We also had all our medicals and police checks done in that time as our agent told us it would be easier to get it all done in UK up front. And we survived it and are here to tell the tale.

You have the support of your hubbies new employer and that should be a big help. Since I got here I found that my hubbies colleagues are keen to help and advise, and if we are not sure about anything we usually just ask them.

You will be fine, and flying by the seat of your pants just adds to the adventure!

Good luck with it all
Suzi
Thanhks Suzie,
How the USA?
Old Mar 5th 2006, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanhks Suzie,
How the USA?
Not as good as Oz would be but it's ok, and an experience.

I guess it's my dry run.

I made the fatal mistake of not bothering to try and make any friends because we were only going to be here 6 months, and it was making me desperately unhappy, but I have joined a couple of groups now and at least I know I won't make the same mistake when I get to Oz. Everything else has just sort of fallen into place really. And anything that we've struggled with hasn't exactly been life threatening. Honestly, don't panic coz it will only slow you down, just enjoy the ride, you will look back on it and grin in the future (after a couple of weeks of exhaustion). Just schedule yourself a bit of relaxation time somewhere at the end of it, and delegate as much as you can.
Old Mar 5th 2006, 4:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by suzimc
Not as good as Oz would be but it's ok, and an experience.

I guess it's my dry run.

I made the fatal mistake of not bothering to try and make any friends because we were only going to be here 6 months, and it was making me desperately unhappy, but I have joined a couple of groups now and at least I know I won't make the same mistake when I get to Oz. Everything else has just sort of fallen into place really. And anything that we've struggled with hasn't exactly been life threatening. Honestly, don't panic coz it will only slow you down, just enjoy the ride, you will look back on it and grin in the future (after a couple of weeks of exhaustion). Just schedule yourself a bit of relaxation time somewhere at the end of it, and delegate as much as you can.
Hi Sorry it was hard for you at first, USA is somewhere i have always wanted to visit (not live)
Thanks for all support and advise, i am busy trying to work out an area to go to start with.
Louise
Old Mar 6th 2006, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sorry it was hard for you at first, USA is somewhere i have always wanted to visit (not live)
Thanks for all support and advise, i am busy trying to work out an area to go to start with.
Louise
It is good to visit!

There are som e fantastic lists at the top of this forum which might help you out to get started - they made me think of all sorts of things I hadn't even considered to begin with. Then if there's anything specific that you want to know more about do a search in the forums - there is usually lots of info. If there's anything I can help with give me a yell!

Good luck with it all,
Suzi