Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any advice for a reccie job hunting trip??

Any advice for a reccie job hunting trip??

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:02 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Any advice for a reccie job hunting trip??

Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance as I know this comes up quite often. I've had a quick look but can't really find what I'm looking for. So if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

So we've had the visa (136) since Dec 2, but no luck finding a job yet. My husband is a mining engineer and we are hoping to go to Hunter Valley, New South Wales. He didn't get one job, and has applied to 3 others in mid January but have not heard anything yet.

We've decided that the job hunt would probably be much easier if we were actually in the country. So we're in the process of planning a 3 week trip in the country. We will likely spend about 2 weeks in the Hunter/Newcastle and Sydney area, and maybe a week in Brisbane.

Does anyone have any pointers they can give us about setting up meetings with employers or recruiters. Any other tips on what we can accomplish while we are there (bank accounts, TFN, medicare, etc?). We will only be there for 3 weeks before we come back to Canada. We could potentially stay there if he finds a job that starts quickly.

I would love to hear any input at all, including links to other intereting threads. I'm just stressing right now that we'll go over and he won't find a job. So I would love any advice I can get.

Haley
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:10 am
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice
Default Re: Any advice for a reccie job hunting trip??

Originally Posted by comet555
Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance as I know this comes up quite often. I've had a quick look but can't really find what I'm looking for. So if anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

So we've had the visa (136) since Dec 2, but no luck finding a job yet. My husband is a mining engineer and we are hoping to go to Hunter Valley, New South Wales. He didn't get one job, and has applied to 3 others in mid January but have not heard anything yet.

We've decided that the job hunt would probably be much easier if we were actually in the country. So we're in the process of planning a 3 week trip in the country. We will likely spend about 2 weeks in the Hunter/Newcastle and Sydney area, and maybe a week in Brisbane.

Does anyone have any pointers they can give us about setting up meetings with employers or recruiters. Any other tips on what we can accomplish while we are there (bank accounts, TFN, medicare, etc?). We will only be there for 3 weeks before we come back to Canada. We could potentially stay there if he finds a job that starts quickly.

I would love to hear any input at all, including links to other intereting threads. I'm just stressing right now that we'll go over and he won't find a job. So I would love any advice I can get.

Haley
If hubby is a mining engineer Western Australia is the place
Up north there is such a mining Boom it's just not real!
They will give him a job, car, house, pay all bills and pay loads of $$$ to boot

My wife has done this, she is a quantity surveyor and flys up there to work and comes home at every other w/e.

Just a thought, Perth is very nice!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:16 am
Now in Perth and lovin it

Pookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nicePookster is just really nice

Hi everyone,

Haley
Tax file number http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/38760.htm

Medicare
http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/

As for banks I went with ANZ
http://www.anz.com.au/

They have been very helpful, all set up via email (ANZ) just had to show them passports and visa when we arrived.

hope that helps
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

Haley
Let me know when you're planning on coming over and I'll arrange to meet you guys for a weekend. My sister lives in Brisbane, so if you're planning on going there I could stay with her.
Pookster is absolutely right about the jobs being in WA. There is also a big boom here in SA. However, if you have your hearts set on NSW, then that's where you should go. Does Randy want me to get him on the Hot Candidates list now?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:37 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I am aware that the mining industry is booming in Perth. Unfortunately for us it's just not what we're looking for. Virtually every job there is fly in fly out and that's not something we want to do. My husband currently works 8 days on 4 days off (then the same on nights). He puts in 13 hour days plus 2 hours of driving to and from work. We've all had enough with the schedule.

I'm sure he could make a crapload of money if we moved to Perth. But frankly we already make a crapload of money where we are. We would rather make less money (a lot less if need be) and be able to have some quality of life. We have two small kids (age 3 and 5 months) that he barely gets to see.

We've already put in about 5 years in a remote mining community in Canada, we're not about to do the same in Australia. So.... Hunter Valley it is, if he can find a job there. That is one of the only mining areas that has lots of mines within about an hour of the coast. Plus we could live in a fairly nice place and he would only have a commute of about 30-40 minutes.

Anyway.... sorry to ramble on. I just most wonder what on earth we're thinking when we say we don't want to go to Perth. I'm sure Perth is lovely, but unfortunatley his job won't be within driving distance of any desireable areas to us.

Last edited by comet555; Feb 3rd 2007 at 5:42 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:41 am
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Let me know when you're planning on coming over and I'll arrange to meet you guys for a weekend. My sister lives in Brisbane, so if you're planning on going there I could stay with her.
Pookster is absolutely right about the jobs being in WA. There is also a big boom here in SA. However, if you have your hearts set on NSW, then that's where you should go. Does Randy want me to get him on the Hot Candidates list now?
Hi Dorothy,

I think we're pretty much ready to do that, I'll ask him tomorrow (I'm in Ontario right now). What would we need to do for that? Just email his resume again? You can PM me about it if you like. Would that be a conflict if he's already applied for jobs with a few recruiters? I know I'm paranoid but I would hate to annoy anyone.

I really want to find a job pretty soon. I'd love to sell the house but Randy won't do it until he finds a job. Luckily our house should only take about a day to sell so I guess there's no panic.

I'll let you know what we're up to regarding the trip. We are hoping to get a plan together by the end of the month and then book everything. But I'm still hoping a job will come through before then and it won't be necessary.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:44 am
Canuck/Aussie

I should mention that I would consider other areas of the country if they were near major centers and if the jobs weren't fly in fly out.

I've done a lot of research into the mines and the only open pit mines that are in a decent spot are in the Hunter Valley area. I'm sure the area is nice, but I would love to have other options. So please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Last edited by comet555; Feb 3rd 2007 at 5:48 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:13 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

I should mention that I would consider other areas of the country if they were near major centers and if the jobs weren't fly in fly out.

I've done a lot of research into the mines and the only open pit mines that are in a decent spot are in the Hunter Valley area. I'm sure the area is nice, but I would love to have other options. So please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
we are hunter valley region. what line of work is your hubbie in? todays papers (saturday) are the best of the week for jobs.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:27 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
we are hunter valley region. what line of work is your hubbie in? todays papers (saturday) are the best of the week for jobs.
He's a mining engineer so in theory there should be lots of jobs. I haven't seen too many advertised though. We've only seen about 5 in the area and 3 of them he's already applied to.

I did check out the paper online but didn't see anything. I also regularly check careerone, seek and infomine.

If anyone from the Hunter region has any contact information with the mines or anyone we should talk to I'd love to have it.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:05 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

He's a mining engineer so in theory there should be lots of jobs. I haven't seen too many advertised though. We've only seen about 5 in the area and 3 of them he's already applied to.

I did check out the paper online but didn't see anything. I also regularly check careerone, seek and infomine.

If anyone from the Hunter region has any contact information with the mines or anyone we should talk to I'd love to have it.
i will keep my eyes open for you
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Nikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond reputeNikki has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Haley

We have chatted on here before in the past, below is a link to a jobs website, I think it is all the local papers online:

http://www.jobsguide.com.au

There are often lots of jobs advertised on here for the mines (I have been looking at admin posts on there), but when you click on the link and go direct to the mines website, they have their own employment page and often other vacancies not advertised.

As I mentioned, we are in Cessnock, as luck would have it my cousin is about to start a job in the mines next week, also his Dad had 25 years in the mines so I could get plenty of info off them and maybe a few contacts, although I can't promise anything (I have been told round here it is more of a case of who you know!!!).

The Hunter Valley certainly is a beautiful place to live!

Once again, if you need any other help just ask and if you want to meet up on your trip we will be more than willing.

Regards

Nikki
Old Feb 4th 2007, 8:45 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi Haley

We have chatted on here before in the past, below is a link to a jobs website, I think it is all the local papers online:

There are often lots of jobs advertised on here for the mines (I have been looking at admin posts on there), but when you click on the link and go direct to the mines website, they have their own employment page and often other vacancies not advertised.

As I mentioned, we are in Cessnock, as luck would have it my cousin is about to start a job in the mines next week, also his Dad had 25 years in the mines so I could get plenty of info off them and maybe a few contacts, although I can't promise anything (I have been told round here it is more of a case of who you know!!!).

Once again, if you need any other help just ask and if you want to meet up on your trip we will be more than willing.

Regards

Nikki
party at john and nikki's !!!!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2007, 1:48 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
party at john and nikki's !!!!!!!
yes maybe!!!!

I'll let everyone know when we will be there.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:22 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Originally Posted by Nikki
Hi Haley

Regards

Nikki
Thanks for that link again. It's been a while since I checked that site but I'll make sure to keep checking it again.

So far I've only been checking on Careerone, Seek, Infomine and the companies website. There hasn't been a whole lot on the company sites though.

I've been worried that the job hunt would difficult without a lot of contacts as you say. That's why I'm a little stressed at the moment. It might be hard to get in there unless we know people which is difficult I'm afraid.

Anyway if you do find out anything let me know... I need all the help I can get at this point.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 2:41 pm
Canuck/Aussie

Can you recommend any nice places to stay within an hour of Singleton (preferably nearby the water).

I have been looking for a nice 2 (or 3) bedroom place, self contained, to rent for a week or two in May. So far I've been looking around Lake Macquarie but I'm sure there are lots of other nice places around.

Our budget is flexible. We really just need a clean place and within walking distance of a water and parks for the little kids. Somewhere between $500-$1000 a week would be good (the cheaper the better).

So if anyone knows of anyplace nice, or where to look let me know. So far I've been checking OzStays, and realestate.com.au.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.