Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any advice on my badass 4WD (servicing)?

Any advice on my badass 4WD (servicing)?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 8:58 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice on my badass 4WD (servicing)?

Locking it up in a garage for at least 6 months, maybe more (depending on putative Little Don #3).

Needs a service but would you recommend I skip that for now (we're going back to Europe in under 3 weeks)? Then get the service done when we come back?

Anything else I need to do apart from disconnect the batteries?
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:03 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on my badass 4WD (servicing)?

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Locking it up in a garage for at least 6 months, maybe more (depending on putative Little Don #3).

Needs a service but would you recommend I skip that for now (we're going back to Europe in under 3 weeks)? Then get the service done when we come back?

You really should do it now.
It will save the guy who swipes it when u are away the trouble! :scared:
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:06 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Bix
You really should do it now.
It will save the guy who swipes it when u are away the trouble! :scared:
Think I'll increase the insurance cover, good point.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Philanthropist5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

If possible jack it up and put it on blocks or stands, this will prevent the tyres distorting and make theft more difficult.
Get a alarm on the garage.
Whilst the battery is off you can get a charger for approx 40 quid which keeps the battery charged up, specially designed for stood vehicles.
service wise, difficult one, probably best when you get back, you may need some other work doing anyway, ie freeing of seized brakes.
Don't leave the handbrake on
Don't leave much fuel in it as this goes off after time.
Plus thers stuff you can do when you get back, like spin the engine over without it starting until the oil pressure light goes out, this ensures the engine is well lubricated before you fire it up and putting fresh fuel in it also.

just a few ideas hope they help
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:55 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Philanthropist5
If possible jack it up and put it on blocks or stands, this will prevent the tyres distorting and make theft more difficult.
Whilst the battery is off you can get a charger for approx 40 quid which keeps the battery charged up, specially designed for stood vehicles.
service wise, difficult one, probably best when you get back, you may need some other work doing anyway, ie freeing of seized brakes.
Plus thers stuff you can do when you get back, like spin the engine over without it starting until the oil pressure light goes out, this ensures the engine is well lubricated before you fire it up and putting fresh fuel in it also.

6 months not 6 years but won't take the robbers more than 6 hours anyway!

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:23 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

just turn it off,its a Toyota
Disconnect the batt power and leave a window slightly open,don't leve it in a damp place or under a tree.I would'nt bother servicing it untill you get to use it again,it won't harm it.Also,fill the diesel tank to the brim as this stops condensation forming in the tank.Diesel won't go off like petrol does,it can sit there for years.Also,just over inflate your tyres or stick it on axle stands.....but its not essential as tyres do take a long time to deform.If possible park it in a well ventelated garage or underground car park(risky one that though)It will be fine.
jus' my thoughts
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:35 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

All sound advice but...........
If you do jack it up and leave it on blocks you'll need to deflate the tyres also. Tyres are designed to take the weight of the vehicle on them, remove that and the side walls bulge out [I made that mistake with my dad's car that he uses on his visits to the U.K cost him a new set]:lecture:
Old Jan 30th 2004, 1:13 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

leave the service. fit an immobiliser.

If you put the car on blocks it`ll save the thieves time stealing your tyres
Old Jan 30th 2004, 3:17 am
Just Joined

cols is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to disagree a little with the advice to not service it now. Ideally you should service the car before and after.

If you want to protect the engine from damage you should change the old engine oil/filter. Old oil contains combustion byproducts which can be acidic and attack parts of the engine. It is best to not run the engine much after the oil is changed. It is a good idea if possible to drain and replace the gearbox and drive train oil as well.

Some people say to drain and replace the coolant as well. This is to protect the engine from corrosion. It will probably be OK if you have a good amount of anti-freeze in there, but if this was due to be done in your next service then it's probably best to do it now.

Clean it thoroughly - including underneath. Wax will protect the paint from oxidation. Don't cover the car with plastic sheets or non-breathable car covers. Keep it in a dry but ventilated place out of the sun.

Put one of those damp absorber things inside the car to help stop it from stinking up.

Might not be worth jacking it up if it is only for 6 months - but pump the tyres up a bit.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:52 am
Don
Banned

Many thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:53 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by deedee
just turn it off,its a Toyota
Disconnect the batt power and leave a window slightly open,don't leve it in a damp place or under a tree.I would'nt bother servicing it untill you get to use it again,it won't harm it.Also,fill the diesel tank to the brim as this stops condensation forming in the tank.Diesel won't go off like petrol does,it can sit there for years.Also,just over inflate your tyres or stick it on axle stands.....but its not essential as tyres do take a long time to deform.If possible park it in a well ventelated garage or underground car park(risky one that though)It will be fine.
jus' my thoughts
Cheers, Deedee!
Old Jan 30th 2004, 4:55 am
Don
Banned

Originally posted by cols
Have to disagree a little with the advice to not service it now. Ideally you should service the car before and after.

If you want to protect the engine from damage you should change the old engine oil/filter. Old oil contains combustion byproducts which can be acidic and attack parts of the engine. It is best to not run the engine much after the oil is changed. It is a good idea if possible to drain and replace the gearbox and drive train oil as well.

Some people say to drain and replace the coolant as well. This is to protect the engine from corrosion. It will probably be OK if you have a good amount of anti-freeze in there, but if this was due to be done in your next service then it's probably best to do it now.

Clean it thoroughly - including underneath. Wax will protect the paint from oxidation. Don't cover the car with plastic sheets or non-breathable car covers. Keep it in a dry but ventilated place out of the sun.

Put one of those damp absorber things inside the car to help stop it from stinking up.

Might not be worth jacking it up if it is only for 6 months - but pump the tyres up a bit.

Thanks Cols! (And thanks also Cresta57 and Stormz!)
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:16 am
Just Joined

cols is an unknown quantity at this point

I researched this stuff before I shipped my car over here. Everyone has different opinions on these things, problem is that you can't really see what internal damage has/hasn't been done. Found some info on RAC site:

http://www.rac.co.uk/carcare/advice/...aying_up_a_car

Anyway, if your car is due for a service, I highly recommend at least changing the oil before laying up to prevent damage to engine bearings. There are some things that should be done at regular intervals regardless as to whether the car has been driven or not.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 5:20 am
Don
Banned

Thanks for the link!