Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any advice much appreciated !

Any advice much appreciated !

Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Aussiehopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Any advice much appreciated !

Hi there, we would be grateful for any assistance or advice here, we want to live & work in Australia BUT, (there's always a but!) I have a professional qualification as a Counsellor but it's not a skill that's in demand and my husband is in the same position as a Family Support Worker. I am struggling to comprehend that an employer would be prepared to offer us a position (therefore providing us with sufficient points). Therefore we are contemplating coming over and taking root then actively looking for work and going through the process that way. However, wonder if this is acceptable practice ? And has anyone else done this ? Does it work ? We have the finances to support ourselves for approx six months and we are very prepared to take the risk, qstn is..... is it realistic ? Would be extremely grateful for any info. Thanks !
Old Sep 12th 2006, 8:57 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice much appreciated !

Originally Posted by Aussiehopefuls
Hi there, we would be grateful for any assistance or advice here, we want to live & work in Australia BUT, (there's always a but!) I have a professional qualification as a Counsellor but it's not a skill that's in demand and my husband is in the same position as a Family Support Worker. I am struggling to comprehend that an employer would be prepared to offer us a position (therefore providing us with sufficient points). Therefore we are contemplating coming over and taking root then actively looking for work and going through the process that way. However, wonder if this is acceptable practice ? And has anyone else done this ? Does it work ? We have the finances to support ourselves for approx six months and we are very prepared to take the risk, qstn is..... is it realistic ? Would be extremely grateful for any info. Thanks !
Do you mean coming over on a tourist visa?
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Aussiehopefuls is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess so. Which comes first the job offer or the work visa ? I assumed we come out on a holiday visa, then apply for work visa's.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:06 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess so. Which comes first the job offer or the work visa ? I assumed we come out on a holiday visa, then apply for work visa's.

I know that you cant seek work while on a holiday visa, dont know how the others work. You may be better putting this on the Immigration forum.

Have you checked out the various visa's on the DIMIA website
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend you speak to an agent, they can offer you a far more detailed explaination and insight to possible routes. Would suggest George Lombard (is a BE member just search for him and send him a pm) or try www.gomatilda.com.
Seems you've only just begun to look into this and is very difficult to answer without going into much greater detail.
Good luck