British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   any advice is great (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/any-advice-great-631066/)

fenno Sep 16th 2009 11:38 am

any advice is great

Myself, wife and kids thinking about a possible move to oz. We will have about $750,000 to spend on a home which we would like to have about 5 acres of land for horses, close to good schools and beach.
Questions.
1. Where is the best place for a young family?
2. Are Horses popular in oz & would people pay livery for them like in England?
3. Is there much work for Bricklayers/ Site forman
4. Any areas to avoid
5. Do we have enough money ($750,000)
6. Monthly cost of living for family of 2adult 2 kids
Any further advice welcome as we are on the very first step of a possible move here

asprilla Sep 16th 2009 12:07 pm

Re: any advice is great

Originally Posted by fenno (Post 7935692)
Myself, wife and kids thinking about a possible move to oz. We will have about $750,000 to spend on a home which we would like to have about 5 acres of land for horses, close to good schools and beach.
Questions.
4. Any areas to avoid
Any further advice welcome as we are on the very first step of a possible move here

1. very subjective this one, but I would say, anywhere near other young families and good schools (and the place of work for the parents.)
2. not sure, but I would assume that the answers are "yes" and "yes". With more land and more larger, cheaper properties in Australia, I would hazard a guess that a horse owner is more likely to keep the horse on his own property.
3. Not sure but search the forum, plenty of other threads.
4. yep, again search the forum.
5. yes, I reckon you have. But if you start looking at properties within 30kms of the major cities, you'll be pushing it (horse property, car, furniture etc.)
6. varies a lot, again lots of cost of living threads on the forums. do a search.

good luck !

mohogony Sep 16th 2009 12:52 pm

Questions.
4. Any areas to avoid

$750,000 is enough for 5 acres of land near the beach in country OZ, the closer you are to a large city the more expensive the land, OZ is a huge country theres, no one can tell you where the best place to live is becasue its such a huge county, The Cental and Northern NSW coast would be a nice area, try looking at homes on acreages on www.realestate.com.au

Sally Simpson Sep 16th 2009 1:15 pm

Welcome to BE!:thumbsup:

Try using the advanced search facility to look at options but the money you have would be a great start.
You def need to research areas & think about what you want in terms of year round temps, (it gets cold in many places in winter & those that don't are hot & humid in summer), beach, small town, city, schools etc etc

When you come up with a couple of options, ask again!

Good luck!:fingerscrossed:

xizzles Sep 16th 2009 1:35 pm

There's a nice place in South Australia, Gawler, I believe it was, that's not too far away from Adelaide, and a little further away from the beaches, but I know of families & friends there who have huge acreages and love riding their horses there :) $750,000 would go a long way in Gawler :)

ray2gill Sep 16th 2009 11:56 pm

Questions.
4. Any areas to avoid

Suggest you first look on the skills list as I thought due to the current global situation a restriction was in force with regard to construction workers visas.

Hervey Bay in Queensland is a good place. Quite a few places with between 2 & 10 acre sites Some with houses some without. Hervey Bay is on the coast with fantastic climate all the year round, lots of beaches, no crowds, local Pony Club and quite a few horses around.