Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any advice on the following Perth suburbs please.....

Any advice on the following Perth suburbs please.....

Old May 8th 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

fiogle is on a distinguished road
Red face Any advice on the following Perth suburbs please.....

Hi everyone. Hubby has just been offered a job in Canning Vale and we are hoping to head out that way in a few months time (just as soon as I have sold my house in Italy - sale agreed, contracts just about to be signed, fingers crossed!!). Can anyone give me some advice about the following suburbs - Thornlei, Willetton, Parkwood, Leeming, Cannington - are any of these suburbs within a decent distance of Canning Vale or am I looking at being too far away (hubby doesn't mind travelling about 1/2 hour or 3/4 hour to get to work). We are a family of 4, 2 kids aged 6 and 11 - any advice on schools in this area? Is it a good place to be? Good for kids and families? Plenty to do? etc, etc. I know that there are hundreds of posts on this site with similar questions, but who better to get information from than someone who lives in the area?
Thanks in advance. Fiona
Old May 8th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

cowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to allcowpeys is a name known to all
Default Re: Any advice on the following Perth suburbs please.....

hi Fiona

www.aussiemove.au

has all the details on the suburbs with an easy to use map

have fun exploring

Julie
Old May 8th 2007, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Look at Forest lakes in Canningvale.
Old May 8th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fiogle
Hi everyone. Hubby has just been offered a job in Canning Vale and we are hoping to head out that way in a few months time (just as soon as I have sold my house in Italy - sale agreed, contracts just about to be signed, fingers crossed!!). Can anyone give me some advice about the following suburbs - Thornlei, Willetton, Parkwood, Leeming, Cannington - are any of these suburbs within a decent distance of Canning Vale or am I looking at being too far away (hubby doesn't mind travelling about 1/2 hour or 3/4 hour to get to work). We are a family of 4, 2 kids aged 6 and 11 - any advice on schools in this area? Is it a good place to be? Good for kids and families? Plenty to do? etc, etc. I know that there are hundreds of posts on this site with similar questions, but who better to get information from than someone who lives in the area?
Thanks in advance. Fiona
best tip from my point of view would be Canning Vale. The other subs you mentioned are older suburbs 30+ years old. Ok, Canning Vale is dearer than the others. Leeming would be my next choice.
Old Jun 30th 2007, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about

Thanks in advance. Fiona
Hi Fiona,

I live in Willetton and really like it here. Willetton High and Rossmoyne High have very good reputations. We're in a part of Willetton which is in the Rossmoyne High and Willetton High zone so when the time comes we can decide which high school we'll enrole them into. I have a two kids (4 and 7). They go to Riverton Primary and really enjoy it there. There is the Leisureplex where everything seems to happen. Swimming, library, karate, gym, creche, etc. My kids go for swimming lessons there and dance lessons too.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck with your move!

x
Old Jun 30th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

hi nomayaja,

we're hoping to get to perth jan 08 and have heard about the good reputation of rossmoyne, willeton and leeming school ( i have 2 girls 9 & 13) Is it difficult to get rentals there though because of this, I've loooked at the many realty sites and there doesnt seem to be much available at the minute

Also, do you know how long the commute from there to subiaco would be? I have a job at KEMH

Thanks x

ps apologies to op for hijacking post!
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:07 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance. Fiona
Hi Fiona, we too live in Willetton and have actually only been here for 6 weeks, we have a rental at the moment and we like where we are, seems a pleasant enough area, lots of parks and things all very close by for kids to play. Our 12 yr old daughter goes to a school called Bateman which is a little way from where we live but close enough for us all to cycle each morning(20 mins) which is great, we sent our daughter there because Bateman is a feeder school for Rossmoyne which i see you know about already, although there are plenty of other primary schools in this catchment. We are close to the freeway so its quick and easy to get to the city and places, canning vale is not far at all really, its a bit busy in the mornings on the main roads but thats the same anywhere at that time of day. We have two lots of shops near to us, we have the local shops which have everything you could want for the kitchen, there is a supermarket, fruit shop, butchers, newsagent, chip shop, chemist, bottle shop, hairdressers etc all under one roof open 7 days a week 8 til 8 and then we have our 'big' shops a short walk away (two mins in car) with lots of different shops, two food shops (Coles, Woolies), cinema, cafe's, restaraunts, post office, clothes shops etc. I will say that pretty much most suberbs have these facilities im just letting you know what Willetton is like. Anyway good luck with the move, if you need to know any more just pm me.

Take care,

Nev
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:09 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nomayaja
Hi Fiona,

I live in Willetton and really like it here. Willetton High and Rossmoyne High have very good reputations. We're in a part of Willetton which is in the Rossmoyne High and Willetton High zone so when the time comes we can decide which high school we'll enrole them into. I have a two kids (4 and 7). They go to Riverton Primary and really enjoy it there. There is the Leisureplex where everything seems to happen. Swimming, library, karate, gym, creche, etc. My kids go for swimming lessons there and dance lessons too.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

x
Hi How long have you guys been in Willetton and where did you come from origionally? unusual to see someone on BE other than us living SOR

Cheers for now,

Nev
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by midwife2be
hi nomayaja,

we're hoping to get to perth jan 08 and have heard about the good reputation of rossmoyne, willeton and leeming school ( i have 2 girls 9 & 13) Is it difficult to get rentals there though because of this, I've loooked at the many realty sites and there doesnt seem to be much available at the minute

Also, do you know how long the commute from there to subiaco would be? I have a job at KEMH

Thanks x

ps apologies to op for hijacking post!
Hi Midwife2be,

Don't know about the rentals here as we bought our house....sorry. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to drive to Subiaco but that's not at peak hours so not sure how long it would take in traffic.

x
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nomayaja
Hi Midwife2be,

Don't know about the rentals here as we bought our house....sorry. It takes me about 20-25 minutes to drive to Subiaco but that's not at peak hours so not sure how long it would take in traffic.

x
Thanks for that, it helps to understand travelling times etc from people 'in the know'
Old Jun 30th 2007, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by redlion
Hi How long have you guys been in Willetton and where did you come from origionally? unusual to see someone on BE other than us living SOR

Cheers for now,

Nev
Hi Redlion,

We've been in Willetton for about 7 months. We stayed in Rockingham for 4 months before moving here. I'm originally from Cyprus but have moved around quite alot. I know quite a few English people in the area although it does seem that most the English go up north or south (Rockingham, Port Kennedy). How are you settling in? I know how difficult it can be when you just arrive so if you'd like to drop in for a cuppa and chat please feel free to pm me.

Marina xx
Old Jul 1st 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks in advance. Fiona

We are actually moving to Canning Vale in November, our house in in the Reserve at Brookland Greens estate.
We bought there as we have been to the area before, friends of ours who have grown up in OZ had bought there and it seemed quite central to everywhere 20mins to city (not rush hour) 20mins to beach.
Evelin is right the house prices are quite abit more expensive in Canning Vale as its a new area.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:44 am
Just Joined

SunshineGirl2 is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Canning Vale and find it central to most places. I work in the City 2 days a week and travel in by bus which takes about half an hour to three quarters during rush hours. (More if the blasted bus breaks down on the freeway as it did last week).

Buses are every 5 minutes. I could drive as I have dedicated parking at the office but the bus is so much easier thanks to the bus lanes.

We like Freo and it's only a 20 minute drive down South Street.

PM me if I can help more.