Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:21 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Robinson Family's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Telford, Shropshire
Posts: 80
Robinson Family is on a distinguished road
Default Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Hi all
My hubbie and myself have decided that we need to make a visit to oz to check it out before we make the big move.

We are planning on visiting for a month in August and want to have a look at Adelaide, Melbourne (South -East sub) and possibly finish off with Brisbane.
Alot to fit in I know.

We have two little ones 5&6 and need to include things for them as well.

Any tips on
*travel (independent or through travel agent)
*accomadation
* how to fit everything in!!!
*airlines
* Do the trip in one go or break the journey
* transport while there
* Internal flights
* Drive from Adelaide to Melbourne or fly???

Anything else you think we should consider????

Just beginning the planning process and all these questions swimming around in our heads

Thanks in advance for any advice

Robinson family

Last edited by Robinson Family; Jan 24th 2005 at 1:25 pm.
Robinson Family is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2005, 3:12 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2003
Location: London
Posts: 202
Poppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nicePoppy is just really nice
Default Re: Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Hi Robinson Family

Well I'll tell you what we did and then you can make your mind up.

We are a family of 5, 3 boys aged 8, 5 and 2 and we went for a month in October just gone. We flew from Heathrow to Sydney on a night flight which I thought would be excellent, but the kids didn't sleep - the films and games in the back of the seats are great entertainment tho'. We stopped off at Bangkok for around an hour or so which was good to stretch our feet. The only problem with the night flight is that we arrived in Sydney at 5.30am and wanted to last the day so we could then go to sleep Oz time, but we couldn't last having not had much sleep during the night and then got up in the afternoon and then the kids were awake again at 2am and this went on for a few days! so on reflection, I would probably choose to fly in the day with kids. If you can be bothered to stop off, then fine, but personally I would rather get there unless there is somewhere you would really like to see.

We stayed in Sydney a week, but the weather was bad and because I had pre-booked internal flights, we had to stay the full week - we were considering Sydney originally to settle before we got there are saw the property prices, but it is a great place.

We then flew via Qantas to Melbourne where we stayed another week - same thing, weather terrible so it was hard to do much with the kids, but again a good place, but we decided weather wasn't great so decided against living there, but we did hire a car and go right down the Mornington Peninsula which is nice. we then flew to Brisbane to go to Surfers Paradise only purely so the kids could go to the theme parks etc and guess what! yes, the weather was terrible, horrendous storms and we could only go to Wet n Wild and there we were in our swimmers with thunder and lightning. So we didn't get to the other theme parks and decided to drive from Surfers up to Port Douglas which is 2700km drive. it was fantastic, it took three days, but we stopped off at Hervey Bay and Airlie Beach for a few days and did some boat trips and loved the whole experience and Port Douglas is brilliant - I wouldn't live there, but will definitely holiday when we move over.

We are emigrating in October and have decided to get a camper and travel round before we settle and are looking at Central Coast which has been recommended.

I hope my reply doesn't sound on the down side (It's not meant to) and I am condesing it down a lot as you can imagine. I think it is fairly easy to book internal flights so if I were you I would wait and then you can come and go places as you please and not be tied down with flight times etc. You can fly Virgin Blue and Qantas internally and prices are not bad.

My uncle lives in Adelaide and he said the drive to melbourne is around 8 hours which is nothing really and to be honest I love it when you can spot a nice place and just decide to stay there that night. somehow I just feel that's what it's all about and that was our best time really, the freedom on the road. Also, there are loads of places to stay as long as you don't go in a public holiday or anything.

Anyway, hope I have been of some help and hope you have a fab time.

All the best
Poppy
Poppy is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2005, 3:40 pm
  #3  
Birds of a feather . . .
 
binbird's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: In my own home! Northern Beaches, Sydney
Posts: 1,788
binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Originally Posted by Poppy
Hi Robinson Family

Well I'll tell you what we did and then you can make your mind up.

We are a family of 5, 3 boys aged 8, 5 and 2 and we went for a month in October just gone.


We were in Sydney in October 2004 too, sharing 5 days of non-stop torrential rain with you (end enjoyed enormous hail stones in the blue mountains to boot!) Fortunately, we had left the three kids at home whilst we did the reccie, girls aged 6,5 and 3 so didn't have to worry about entertaining them. (BTW - they were with grandparents and not home alone! :scared: )

Robinson family - presumably you are heading out in August coz it's the school holidays. Just bear in mind the weather could be even worse than Poppy and her family experienced and us too. Could you not save the expense of a few extra air fares etc and leave the little 'uns with family / friends? I know it's hard being apart from them but it might be easier on you in the long run..... Just a thought.

Binbird
binbird is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:25 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Robinson Family's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Telford, Shropshire
Posts: 80
Robinson Family is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Hi poppy and Binbird

thanks for the replies.
I am afraid we have to go in the summer hols due to me teaching. We thought that seeing Oz in the winter could only make it better when we eventally get there.
We are planning on taking little ones to give them the experience. My 6 year old is quite aware of what we are planning and I think it will help her a little to prepare for the change. I do agree with you Binbird that we would probably get more done but i am a big softy and they have not really stayed over anywhere so I think to visit without them might cause more of a problem.

Poppy thanks for your thought it was nice to read. I will bear in mind about the internal flights. Like you I had got in mind to travel straight there, but a few friends have said break the journey. Can't decide yet???

Sorry to hear about the bad weather while you were there. I hope we experience a little better.

Can anyone give me a description of a typical August in Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane. What clothes would be the norm?

Once again thankyou for your replies.
Anymore info out there greatly received.

Andrea

Originally Posted by binbird
We were in Sydney in October 2004 too, sharing 5 days of non-stop torrential rain with you (end enjoyed enormous hail stones in the blue mountains to boot!) Fortunately, we had left the three kids at home whilst we did the reccie, girls aged 6,5 and 3 so didn't have to worry about entertaining them. (BTW - they were with grandparents and not home alone! :scared: )

Robinson family - presumably you are heading out in August coz it's the school holidays. Just bear in mind the weather could be even worse than Poppy and her family experienced and us too. Could you not save the expense of a few extra air fares etc and leave the little 'uns with family / friends? I know it's hard being apart from them but it might be easier on you in the long run..... Just a thought.

Binbird

Last edited by Robinson Family; Jan 24th 2005 at 8:43 pm.
Robinson Family is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2005, 8:25 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Robinson Family's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Telford, Shropshire
Posts: 80
Robinson Family is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Bumped

andrea

Originally Posted by Robinson Family
Hi poppy and Binbird

thanks for the replies.
I am afraid we have to go in the summer hols due to me teaching. We thought that seeing Oz in the winter could only make it better when we eventally get there.
We are planning on taking little ones to give them the experience. My 6 year old is quite aware of what we are planning and I think it will help her a little to prepare for the change. I do agree with you Binbird that we would probably get more done but i am a big softy and they have not really stayed over anywhere so I think to visit without them might cause more of a problem.

Poppy thanks for your thought it was nice to read. I will bear in mind about the internal flights. Like you I had got in mind to travel straight there, but a few friends have said break the journey. Can't decide yet???

Sorry to hear about the bad weather while you were there. I hope we experience a little better.

Can anyone give me a description of a typical August in Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane. What clothes would be the norm?

Once again thankyou for your replies.
Anymore info out there greatly received.

Andrea
Robinson Family is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:06 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
karenjc's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Gilston, GOLD COAST.
Posts: 1,661
karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Originally Posted by Robinson Family
Hi all
My hubbie and myself have decided that we need to make a visit to oz to check it out before we make the big move.

We are planning on visiting for a month in August and want to have a look at Adelaide, Melbourne (South -East sub) and possibly finish off with Brisbane.
Alot to fit in I know.

We have two little ones 5&6 and need to include things for them as well.

Any tips on
*travel (independent or through travel agent)
*accomadation
* how to fit everything in!!!
*airlines
* Do the trip in one go or break the journey
* transport while there
* Internal flights
* Drive from Adelaide to Melbourne or fly???

Anything else you think we should consider????

Just beginning the planning process and all these questions swimming around in our heads

Thanks in advance for any advice

Robinson family
it must be hard if your unsure where you want to settle , a lot more things you have to do in a short space of time. i would take the kids as it,s there future home so it would be nice for them to get a feel for the place even though it,s more hassle with them. when i first went we flew with BA/QUANTAS and we got free internal flights as well, though traveling by car is great fun, flying is so much quicker which may be needed if your on a tight time frame. hiring a car is easy and i,ve been told cheaper if you book it from over here, and they drive on the correct side. you may be unlucky as were going over in august so you have to put up with us then as well as sunday, see you then. all the best darren
karenjc is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:20 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: scotland
Posts: 17
worried mum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

Hi
We are also planning to begin the immigration process properly and have just come back from a month in Perth. We have two boys 2 and 4, the journey out was a night flight from Heathrow to Singapore and then we stayed in Singapore for a few days. The kids slept most of the way and after the journey from hell on the way home I would recommend the night and the stopover when travelling with kids. Singapore airlines were great with the kids, wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

When we first thought of the reccie last year someone on this site suggested we try to work out our money in dollars as if we were earning in aussie salaries. It was a good guide.

Hope this is helpful.
worried mum is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:42 pm
  #8  
making your move easier
 
melbournehelp's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: melbourne
Posts: 230
melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice about planning a reccie trip?

I agree with Karen,

Singapore was the best experience I've had and I've done the run six times.
From Manchester the flight left at 10 am and got in at night -singapore time.
I got off the plane for two hours-had a swim in the pool and got on the flight to Melbourne.As it felt like nightime I slept most of the way and arrived in Melbourne am local time .The difference in jetlag was incredible.
You need to book the change over flight well in advance as it books quickly.Other wise you will have to spend 9hrs in the airport.
If you have only a month I would suggest internal flights.Virgin blue and jetstar are locked in a price war for internal flights,so there are some great deals to be had -ie sydney one way $60 per person .Both Adelaide and sydney take about 1hr from Melb.Perth is 4 - 4.5 hrs .
Hiring cars at the airport is a simple process.
Finding acommodation is also easy .Have a look at www.bcl.com.au .They do
last minute booking all over Oz.










[
melbournehelp is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.