Any Advice

Old Oct 1st 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

northerner1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Advice

HI all would really appreciate any advice here, sure some of you have been through similar.

I moved here 6 months ago absolutly love it and dont want to go home. I'm currently on a working VISA, haven't got a trade as such but there is a possibility of being sponsored from my current job. I'm currently managing a cycle shop, as I am a keen cyclist and seem to be doing pretty well!

Are there any other options of say applying for the same VISA again or any other ideas you may have. Few locals have said I could jump on a plane to NZ for a week and re apply, this could be a good stop gap, but can you do this?

I'd really appreciate any help or advice
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Advice

Originally Posted by northerner1981
HI all would really appreciate any advice here, sure some of you have been through similar.

I moved here 6 months ago absolutly love it and dont want to go home. I'm currently on a working VISA, haven't got a trade as such but there is a possibility of being sponsored from my current job. I'm currently managing a cycle shop, as I am a keen cyclist and seem to be doing pretty well!

Are there any other options of say applying for the same VISA again or any other ideas you may have. Few locals have said I could jump on a plane to NZ for a week and re apply, this could be a good stop gap, but can you do this?

What working visa are you on? A working holiday visa? A sponsored 457 work visa? A skilled permanent visa? A little information goes a long way toward an educated answer.
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:21 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
What working visa are you on? A working holiday visa? A sponsored 457 work visa? A skilled permanent visa? A little information goes a long way toward an educated answer.
why would he need a working visa if he had a 457 or perm visa?

have a look on the immigration website see if anything there can help you.

http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm
Old Oct 1st 2008, 10:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northerner1981

I'm assuming you are on a WHV, as I can't think of any other way you are legally working in Australia without already being sponsored or having a permanent visa.

First thing, you are probably aware that you can't stay in the job you are in for more than 6 months - this is one of the conditions of a WHV.

Secondly, there is now a route to a second WHV but only if you have spent a substantial amount of time working in the primary industries (i.e. fruit picking) in a specific country are. Otherwise, you cannot get a second WHV.

If your WHV ran out and you went to New Zealand, you could re-enter Aus, but only on a tourist visa and you would not be allowed to work.

Whatever happens don't be tempted into working for your current employer for longer than 6 months or working without a valid visa because if you really want to stay this is the worst thing you could do.
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Thanks for the reply but yes on a working holiday visa!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 3:50 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm assuming you are on a WHV, as I can't think of any other way you are legally working in Australia without already being sponsored or having a permanent visa.

First thing, you are probably aware that you can't stay in the job you are in for more than 6 months - this is one of the conditions of a WHV.

Secondly, there is now a route to a second WHV but only if you have spent a substantial amount of time working in the primary industries (i.e. fruit picking) in a specific country are. Otherwise, you cannot get a second WHV.

If your WHV ran out and you went to New Zealand, you could re-enter Aus, but only on a tourist visa and you would not be allowed to work.

Whatever happens don't be tempted into working for your current employer for longer than 6 months or working without a valid visa because if you really want to stay this is the worst thing you could do.
Thanks for the advice mate, yeah coming to the end of my 1st job placement. Doing everything by the book so no temptation to carry on working!
Old Oct 2nd 2008, 4:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Possums
why would he need a working visa if he had a 457 or perm visa?

have a look on the immigration website see if anything there can help you.

http://www.immi.gov.au/immigration.htm
many thanks