Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ants and how to stop the things

Ants and how to stop the things

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:44 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Ants and how to stop the things

OK everyone already in Aus how do you stop them getting in your house, or trap them or exterminate them without putting poisonous powder all over the place???

Keep getting invaded by them every few days.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:45 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ants and how to stop the things

Originally Posted by annqldau
OK everyone already in Aus how do you stop them getting in your house, or trap them or exterminate them without putting poisonous powder all over the place???

Ant sand works well, I think it might fall under the description of "poisonous powder" though.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:50 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

try here but if you like it dont send me any bloody karma please

http://www.spotlight.com.au/2005/Dis...e1990e2c67bbdc
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 6:51 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

We never had any come in the house thankfully, but got them continually coming up through cracks in the block paving, ant powder/sand stops them temporarily but they p[op up elsewhere and the sand has stained our bricks a bit.
I recently sprayed with one of those outdoor barrier sprays (Mortein) where you go round and just blitz everything and its stop roaches, spiders, etc. It seems to of stopped the ants coming up a treat.
only about $20 and it will do for two goes at our place, its supposed to last 3-6months I think.
steve
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:09 am

was reluctant to spray stuff or powder as thought when you walk over it in bare feet will absorb into me or kid etc. but may have to if nothing else works...cheers
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:14 am

Is borax you buy in supermarket a hand cleaner???

as on page suggested:

use a homemade ant killer, the recipe is as follows:
1 cup of hot water
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon borax
1 tablespoon of boracic acid

place ingredients into large jar, screw on lid and shake to mix. place small amount of liquid into a jar lid or similar and place it where ants are a problem. they love it and then go away to die.

borax can be bought at a supermarket and boracic acid you need to buy at a chemist.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 7:28 am
Its good up North!

Uncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really niceUncle B is just really nice

I use a foam which is bloody good called Baygon, just spray round where the little gits r coming in the foam disapears leaves somekind of vapour which c's them off 4 at least a month, Hapi Days!! Problem being that i'm in Dubai so they might not sell it in OZ it is made by Johnson so u might have a chance.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
try here but if you like it dont send me any bloody karma please

http://www.spotlight.com.au/2005/Dis...e1990e2c67bbdc
You work in armaments then Luke ?

Ann,
The chemical free way

Step 1 - Go to the shops
Step 2 - Buy the cheapest talcum powder you can find
Step 3 - Identify where the ants are getting into your house
Step 4 - Dust a little powder across their path
Step 5 - Ants march up to the talc, take a whiff and march away again.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
You work in armaments then Luke ?

Ann,
The chemical free way

Step 1 - Go to the shops
Step 2 - Buy the cheapest talcum powder you can find
Step 3 - Identify where the ants are getting into your house
Step 4 - Dust a little powder across their path
Step 5 - Ants march up to the talc, take a whiff and march away again.

Ditto
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 11:22 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
Ditto

Tritto
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:03 am

Wink Re: Ants and how to stop the things

So does the talc work like the chalk idea I read where the ants don't cross the chalk line...suppose talc and chalk similar.

Now to add to the problem hubby is now covered in mosquito bites as QLD has this silly rule of can't water garden till 7pm and before 7am and when are the good old mozzies most active, you guessed it, plus we would like to be able to sit outside sometimes.

So after we have surrounded our patio with talc do we get the citronella torches out as rumour has it ultra violet insecta flashes/zappers are hopeless.
Any more ideas folks???

Still not going back to the UK won't let these bugs beat us... .
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:06 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Good attitude, hope the remedies work, as for the mozzies I use aerogard, smells like toilet cleaner on you but does work
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

So does the talc work like the chalk idea I read where the ants don't cross the chalk line...suppose talc and chalk similar.

Now to add to the problem hubby is now covered in mosquito bites as QLD has this silly rule of can't water garden till 7pm and before 7am and when are the good old mozzies most active, you guessed it, plus we would like to be able to sit outside sometimes.

So after we have surrounded our patio with talc do we get the citronella torches out as rumour has it ultra violet insecta flashes/zappers are hopeless.
Any more ideas folks???

No disrespect but didnt anyone warn you of the insect critters here in Oz, before ya got here ???

Have ya tried WHACKING the hole to a meat ants nest yet ???

Thats fun
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:12 am

Knew about the bugs but thrive on bug genecide towards bugs that bite.

Had praying mantis sitting on window sill last night... left that alive as seemed to have a Clint Eastwood attitude to bugs and hoping it eats mozzies as well.

Don't intend to try the whacking of ant holes as am sure they can get their own back on me when i'm not looking.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:04 pm

Have now covered house and garden in cheap talc and smells like somewhere Dolly Parton would like.

Have to see if the ants leave town or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.