Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ants in the apples - a, a,a!!!

Ants in the apples - a, a,a!!!

Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:45 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ants in the apples - a, a,a!!!

My youngest daughter has just started kindy here in NSW and from what I can get out of her so far (which is not a lot!) they have been doing some alphabet work and sing, for example, the "ants in the apples - a,a,a" . My older two daughters learnt their alphabet sounds in the UK using the jolly phonics system which I was familiar with and able to help with but I have googled and cannot identify this method.

Can anybody help me out or suggest a video or book so I can learn along with her?! When I get a question in my head I need to know the answer now but I know school is only a few hours away.....

Binbird
Old Feb 12th 2006, 8:57 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Ants in the apples - a, a,a!!!

Originally Posted by binbird
My youngest daughter has just started kindy here in NSW and from what I can get out of her so far (which is not a lot!) they have been doing some alphabet work and sing, for example, the "ants in the apples - a,a,a" . My older two daughters learnt their alphabet sounds in the UK using the jolly phonics system which I was familiar with and able to help with but I have googled and cannot identify this method.

Can anybody help me out or suggest a video or book so I can learn along with her?! When I get a question in my head I need to know the answer now but I know school is only a few hours away.....

Binbird
I am pretty sure that my daughter started with that, "ants in the apples - a,a,a", (also at NSW Kindy).

I'm also sure i've seen the old book, with such examples in, lying around somewhere, we don't throw much out

Talk to her teacher, they are normally very helpful in that respect.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...6spelling.html
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...k6reading.html

Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:27 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am pretty sure that my daughter started with that, "ants in the apples - a,a,a", (also at NSW Kindy).

I'm also sure i've seen the old book, with such examples in, lying around somewhere, we don't throw much out

Talk to her teacher, they are normally very helpful in that respect.

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...6spelling.html
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au...k6reading.html

Thanks ABC - interesting links. A chat with the teacher in the morning it is then. . . .
Old Feb 12th 2006, 5:51 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Binbird

hi im still in the UK and my daughter is learning this new way is this with the actions a a a is ant crawling up the arm b b b bat shows the action of swinging a bat etc etc apparently there is stuff available in the early leaning centre which is available on line i believe ( I had parents evening the other day and was told it was available by the teacher) hope that makes sense!!!!

kris xx
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:12 am
Birds of a feather . . .

Originally Posted by kris maynard
hi im still in the UK and my daughter is learning this new way is this with the actions a a a is ant crawling up the arm b b b bat shows the action of swinging a bat etc etc apparently there is stuff available in the early leaning centre which is available on line i believe ( I had parents evening the other day and was told it was available by the teacher) hope that makes sense!!!!

kris xx

Thanks Kris but that sounds like the jolly phonics system that my two older daughters learnt in the UK - t t t has the head motion of moving side to side like watching tennis and l l l is a motion for licking a lolly - I remember it well. No time to ask the teacher this morning as all a bit of a rush after the girls' 8am swimming lesson ( :scared: ) so will hopefully get an answer later and post it for anyone who is interested.

Binbird
Old Feb 13th 2006, 8:10 am
Birds of a feather . . .

Too much going on after school today to ask the teacher so another day of not knowing . . .

But today's lesson was "many mice marching, m, m ,m!

Just in case anyone is vaguely interested!

Binbird
Old Feb 13th 2006, 9:09 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Kris but that sounds like the jolly phonics system that my two older daughters learnt in the UK - t t t has the head motion of moving side to side like watching tennis and l l l is a motion for licking a lolly - I remember it well. No time to ask the teacher this morning as all a bit of a rush after the girls' 8am swimming lesson ( :scared: ) so will hopefully get an answer later and post it for anyone who is interested.

Binbird

OMG I thought it ewas bad enough getting stuck helping my older 2 with homework its been about 5 years since any of my kids were in reception year at school and this jolly phonics is totally new to me!!Although it has me in stitches with all the actions !!!
Now im gonna have to learn something else keep me informed i may end up looking intelligent in the kindy class when we get there!!

Kris xx
Old Mar 14th 2006, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

KelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the roughKelnIan is a jewel in the rough

Hi All

I hope you don't mind me joining your thread binbird but have been doing some research myself on the Sydney primary Schools and there system. My daughter is 5 in April and we hope to be over in Sydney June time. Although this doesn't answer your question, its just food for thought. My daughter is in Reception at the moment learning the Jolly phonic system t is for tennis and actions to go with it like already mentioned. But pre this she was in Nursery which was linked to a school that also used the phonic system, but at nursery level she was sent home with a Jingles sheet to help her remember the sounds ants on the apple aaa balls are bouncing bbb i have more it you want them!!!!!! pm me it you want a copy of the sheet it sounds like it is the same thing. Am now wondering if it its link to phonics some how.

I have heard that the schooling is different in Aus from that in the uk and am just interested to know what they are. Does anyone know if jolly phonics is recognised in most of the schools in and around Sydney. Sorry for gate crashing you thread
Old Mar 14th 2006, 12:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Also sorry for jumping in on your thread, but this is the system I was taught about 100 years ago in Canada. It's known as "whole language" instead of the phonics system.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 8:28 am
Birds of a feather . . .

Thanks for reviving my thread! I have been doing some detective work.....! I asked the teacher if there was any literature available to parents to support learning at home and she suggested I ask in a few book shops etc. I found out that a lot of the schools in New South Wales follow the "letterland" system (which I remember seeing in the UK) and there was plenty of evidence of this in the shops. However, the "ants in the apples" system is apparently not available in the shops but I was given the name of the company who produces all things related - "Ten out of Ten". I was also given the telephone number for this company but have not yet called. I will post my results when I get round to it but if anyone else would like the number meanwhile, just pm me.

By the way, we are on to "teapots tipping t,t,t" this week!!!

KelnIan, if you think this is the same as your "jingles" experience, I would love to know more!

Cheers

Binbird
Old Mar 15th 2006, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

liverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to allliverpool girl is a name known to all
Question Re: Ants in the apples - a, a,a!!!

I am a little concerned after reading this thread. Our daughter will start at a Sydney school this coming summer. She will go into Kindergarten class and then into Yr 1 in January 2007 despite the fact that she would have completed Yr1 in the UK this coming July. I am concerned about her being bored - she learnt phonics 18 months ago and can now read pretty well. Does anyone have any experience of this. Do you find that some children in Kindergarten can already read?

Thanks
Old Mar 16th 2006, 4:32 am
Birds of a feather . . .

Our middle daughter had completed her "reception" year in the UK before we moved to Australia. We arrived in the country mid September and it was mid November before we enrolled the children in school as we took our time in choosing where to settle! Therefore, she repeated a few weeks of stuff she had already covered and of course, she could read too (quite well, even if I say so myself!) I don't think your daughter will be bored as schooling is so different out here and so much more fun (at this stage, anyway). She will have a lot to adapt to and will be settling and making new friends etc. If you think she might need a little extra stimulation I would suggest signing up for some new and exciting after school activities!

In my experience, as many parents hold their children back and have them start school when they are nearly 6, it is a fact that some kindergarten pupils can already read so your daughter certainly won't be in a minority.

If you want any further reassurance, ask away!

Binbird