Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti English employment attitude?

Anti English employment attitude?

Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:40 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti English employment attitude?

[QUOTE=why;5630373]

pommy scab labour was one...on my first day at work in Sydney

Why did they say that? Sorry no pun intended.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:36 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=manc1;5630390]
Originally Posted by why

pommy scab labour was one...on my first day at work in Sydney

Why did they say that? Sorry no pun intended.
well
it was back in 1986 and Australia had put it's student nurses into universities
there was a huge recruitment of UK nurses and consequently loads of nurses
came to Australia (got some brilliant stories from those days in the nurses home)
the Australian nurses were also in dispute with the government about pay
and conditions...so that is how it happened. i experienced some horrible
stuff...but along with that lots of nice stuff too!!!! but someone asked if
I had seen an orange before.....
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:20 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

A great alternative (after reading this thread) is starting up your own business? Something you run and own ? There really is no reason why people cant find work.. if no one will employ you for whatever reason, then look at the place you are in, find out what is needed in your area and then provide it at the right price! Even if it is just something you do from home like providing (for example only) an Ironing Service or taking in Mending? I am not saying you need to put all your money into starting an expensive business... (nb: I can not personally sew! LOL!)

There is really no reason why you can't start small and build up gradually.. after all, life is what you make it!

Just food for thought, guys!
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

I think its reasonable to take the assumption that they look after there own.... But did we not also take that view back in the UK? They come here for free NHS.... Get houses... take all the benefits etc etc.. Case of deja vue.

Personally apart from the occasional ribbling (You've gotta accept that as part of being a pommie) I have been well received and have gradually moved up the ladder and now have a fantastic job.

Truth be told. Like a lot of boom industries. Everyone heard of massive salarys in IT, then Web design now its plumbing... So what happens! Everyone wants to train, move into that profession and then the job market gets swamped! The employers then get a lot of highly qualified people applying. Its a case of best fit I guess... keep going... something will materalise I'm sure. But I know its easy to get despondent. One very annoying habit is that they never bother to contact you even if its a rejection! I've been here 6 months now and have a FANTASTIC job, lifestyle etc etc.

Last edited by robclaridge; Dec 9th 2007 at 9:39 am. Reason: spelling