Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti English employment attitude?

Anti English employment attitude?

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti English employment attitude?

Perhaps the other candidates were better suited for the position?

Agree with Gelong Gent - get some proper feedback if you can, maybe there is something that just needs tweaking or something?

It's horrible being turned down all the time but something will turn up, you'll see.

Sending you some good luck k
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
I have been doing lots of interviews for IT jobs in the last few weeks in Perth. Each has gone really well, I have the experience, qualifications and seem to get on well with the interviewer answering the questions and having a bit of a friendly laugh and joke with them.

However each time I dont get offered the job. Feedback from agents always seems to be positive, they simply say you did very well there was no negative feedback but they have decided to go with a different candidate.

I finally got offered one job which I have decided not to accept, the company intrestingly is filled with immigrants from all over the world. There are very few australians working there.

So it seems possible I am being rejected for no other reason than maybe the previous companys anti immigrant / english attitude that recruiters have.

Anyone else experienced this?
Just out of curiosity, what types of jobs are you going for ? Are they contract or permanent ?

I've never heard of anti-english attitude in IT here. A bit of piss-taking against the poms yeah, but nothing more. Anti-some-other ethic groups yes, but not that one. Most places are quite interested in anyone with UK experience, as often the work in the UK is larger scale/more leading edge etc than the stuff in oz. I've also found a LOT of the older IT people in Oz have spent some time working overseas themselves so can relate to your experience better.

When I first arrived though [20 months ago] I was told that companies are wary of hiring someone who has just arrived as they tend to move on again after six months. Perhaps you should sell yourself more on the fact that you are here for the long haul, looking for a long term position to grow and contribute to etc - you know the drill.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 9:32 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Just out of curiosity, what types of jobs are you going for ? Are they contract or permanent ?

I've never heard of anti-english attitude in IT here. A bit of piss-taking against the poms yeah, but nothing more. Anti-some-other ethic groups yes, but not that one. Most places are quite interested in anyone with UK experience, as often the work in the UK is larger scale/more leading edge etc than the stuff in oz. I've also found a LOT of the older IT people in Oz have spent some time working overseas themselves so can relate to your experience better.

When I first arrived though [20 months ago] I was told that companies are wary of hiring someone who has just arrived as they tend to move on again after six months. Perhaps you should sell yourself more on the fact that you are here for the long haul, looking for a long term position to grow and contribute to etc - you know the drill.
I started on 3 month contracts and eventually got made permanent, I think that is more common here than it is in the UK.

Also key, I think, is to settle for less than your 'ideal' job if it is only to build some contacts. Social networking seems to work better here than trying to rely on agencies or suchlike.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Also key, I think, is to settle for less than your 'ideal' job if it is only to build some contacts. Social networking seems to work better here than trying to rely on agencies or suchlike.
Absolutely, it is definitely more a case of "who" you know over here, no matter what the trade
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Absolutely, it is definitely more a case of "who" you know over here, no matter what the trade
I agree - contacts seem vey important here.

Having said that I've had extremely positive experiences of being English. I suppose that it's a bit different in Perth - and it also may be different away from the trades but an English background, work experience and qualifications seem to be highly valued. A combination of lots of people having British links, a lot of South Africans - who often seem to value the English above the Aussies - and many new migrants I think.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:42 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Often they can be anti newbie. Lots of people go back home in the first year so maybe they are worried about that.

I have been doing lots of interviews for IT jobs in the last few weeks in Perth. Each has gone really well, I have the experience, qualifications and seem to get on well with the interviewer answering the questions and having a bit of a friendly laugh and joke with them.

However each time I dont get offered the job. Feedback from agents always seems to be positive, they simply say you did very well there was no negative feedback but they have decided to go with a different candidate.

I finally got offered one job which I have decided not to accept, the company intrestingly is filled with immigrants from all over the world. There are very few australians working there.

So it seems possible I am being rejected for no other reason than maybe the previous companys anti immigrant / english attitude that recruiters have.

Anyone else experienced this?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:44 am

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes thats true, it's because it's very hard to get rid of people if they are dud. Often the contract can be a probation period.

I started on 3 month contracts and eventually got made permanent, I think that is more common here than it is in the UK.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:44 am

BTW any java programmers in Brisbane looking for a job PM me lol
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:16 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by themerlin
BTW any java programmers in Brisbane looking for a job PM me lol
Hmmmm, how much Java?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:30 am

Depends how cheap you are

Hmmmm, how much Java?
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 3:34 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

I can't even get an Interview in Brissy ;( Mostly pure oracle , but people think I'm overskilled, too senior.. blah blah.. just give me the interview
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 4:11 am

Have you tried http://www.dialog.com.au

Originally Posted by datamile
I can't even get an Interview in Brissy ;( Mostly pure oracle , but people think I'm overskilled, too senior.. blah blah.. just give me the interview
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 7:20 am
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future

Three more interviews done and still no work. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Back in the UK I got every job I ever applied for on the first interview, sorry if that sounds a bit like bragging. In Australia now I have done so many interviews and just dont seem to be getting anywhere.

Anyone got some tips?
Yes - here's a tip! Take the job you get offered (even if not 100% suitable) and then you have some local experience for your CV and local referees to boot. Surely better to have a job than no job? As the saying goes - it's always easier to get a job if you already have one.....

Don't know if you are going for permanent or contract roles? The IT market for contractors seems pretty buoyant at the moment so maybe you could try as a contractor if it is permanent you are currently going for?

Hope this helps
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheHallidays
Yes - here's a tip! Take the job you get offered (even if not 100% suitable) and then you have some local experience for your CV and local referees to boot. Surely better to have a job than no job? As the saying goes - it's always easier to get a job if you already have one.....

Don't know if you are going for permanent or contract roles? The IT market for contractors seems pretty buoyant at the moment so maybe you could try as a contractor if it is permanent you are currently going for?

Hope this helps
Agreed - take a job and get your time 'in-country'. After that it will be a lot easier I can assure you.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 11:45 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Three more interviews done and still no work. I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

Back in the UK I got every job I ever applied for on the first interview, sorry if that sounds a bit like bragging. In Australia now I have done so many interviews and just dont seem to be getting anywhere.

Anyone got some tips?

Mini skirt and a tight top !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.