Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Old Mar 31st 2007, 2:52 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

I am anti 4x4 try having one of those things roll over your foot when you are stopped at a junction on a motorbike!!

a lot of people who drive them don't seem to know their dimensions and misjudge parking etc.

Kim
Old Mar 31st 2007, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Hoping to get a 4 x 4 when i get out there
Old Mar 31st 2007, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Can't beat a bit of dune bashing!!
Wow dune bashing looks wicked!! We're off to Tas though don't spose they're many dunes down there
I used to do proper off roading here in UK till our son came along! Wanna get back into when I come to Tas. I hear there is some serious rock climbing events over there, can't wait
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:22 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

We drive a Disco at the moment and looking at the prices in OZ is it worth transporting it.
BTW we drive one as we love it and hubby works on them so its cheap to fix he services it himself.
Lisa
xxxx
As for person (sorry should have quoted) selling 1.8 Freelander hubby says petrol Freelander do not sell well 2nd hand, you should have brought a disco or at least a diesel but good luck hope you manage to get rid of it.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
We drive a Disco at the moment and looking at the prices in OZ is it worth transporting it.

You may have to pay a hefty import duty on it depending on it's age etc. You need to add that to the cost of transport etc.

G
Old Mar 31st 2007, 8:50 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
You may have to pay a hefty import duty on it depending on it's age etc. You need to add that to the cost of transport etc.

G
Plus the cost of having it modified to meet Aussie regulations, increased cost of insurance for an import and lower resale value...
Old Mar 31st 2007, 9:53 pm
Lisa

LisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to allLisaD_uk is a name known to all

Thanks Grayling and rodders39 Those few points were not something I was aware of, I only new that if we sold it within such a time (say 2 yrs FE) you paid some sort of tax. Another thing to think about.
Lisa
xxxx
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:17 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Is there a massive anti 4x4 sentiment in Oz like there is in London?

We need 7 seats, diesel, with all the safety features for the kids, and the only vehicle that seems to fit the bill is a 4x4.

So we're going to buy one, but are concerned about any backlash against us from well-meaning people who don't like 4x4 drivers.

Anyone like to comment?

Thanks

Simon

Hummer + PP "Sod U"

"Greens R for Eating"

Distinquish between driver and vehicle folks - plenty of idiots driving sewing machines as there are 4wd.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:31 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

But what about blow outs ? I think you will find a standard car is much safer even without it's airbags.

The high center of gravity on the 4x4 is the problem.

Not if driven with due care like you would a normal car! If a 4x4 rolls on-road then someone is doing some seriously dangerous driving!

I mean full side curtain airbags on all 3 rows, which almost no car in Oz has.

Buzzy
Old Apr 1st 2007, 4:32 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

4x4s and motorbikes don't fix do they !

Originally Posted by asher
I am anti 4x4 try having one of those things roll over your foot when you are stopped at a junction on a motorbike!!

a lot of people who drive them don't seem to know their dimensions and misjudge parking etc.

Kim
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:24 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I think what this discussion proves is that the anti 4x4 sentiment is alive and well in Oz!!!

Buzzy
Amongst British immigrants ...
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Amongst British immigrants ...
"Must spread before giving Karma again!" - although that article in The Age which now seems to have been deleted indicates that Ozzies have a similar attitude!

Buzzy
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:47 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

"Must spread before giving Karma again!" - although that article in The Age which now seems to have been deleted indicates that Ozzies have a similar attitude!

Buzzy
please excuse my ignorance but where the hell are you based at the minute ,you are asking about 4x4's in Aust yet I have just been reading your thread on a reccie to brisbane and another where you where offering opinion on Ipswitch as if you had lived there (although you say you haven't) if you're not in Aust yet I think what you drive is of little conciquence and more improtantly house job etc. and if you are in the UK what the hell do you need a 4x4 for ?? make sure the pedestrians go down and under like a roo instead of though the windshield?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:54 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

We really didn't need a 4x4 in the Uk though many used them to drive their kids to school Here in OZ it is almost a must, depending where you live and this town is full of them. I really don't think anyone cares what you drive but it is a pity about all the cars on the road that belong in the wreckers yard!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 5:56 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
please excuse my ignorance but where the hell are you based at the minute ,you are asking about 4x4's in Aust yet I have just been reading your thread on a reccie to brisbane and another where you where offering opinion on Ipswitch as if you had lived there (although you say you haven't) if you're not in Aust yet I think what you drive is of little conciquence and more improtantly house job etc. and if you are in the UK what the hell do you need a 4x4 for ?? make sure the pedestrians go down and under like a roo instead of though the windshield?
Wow - anger management classes are usually advertised in the local paper fyi

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.