Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:12 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

I think what this discussion proves is that the anti 4x4 sentiment is alive and well in Oz!!!

Buzzy
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
And there was me thinking you lived in Australia!

Yeh, I like the big trucks too - Ford F150, Dodge Ram.

Getting a Pathfinder,same as Navarra but with different arse end.

Buzzy
The Pathfinder is great. My mate has one and he loves it. Get the 2.5l diesel. Loads of power and torque.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 1:29 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Ill be having a 4x4 when I get there, bcause I can, not because I need 1
That's the right attitude. Drive what you damn well like. Get a diesel as well, much better than petrol.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

yes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to all

I think what this discussion proves is that the anti 4x4 sentiment is alive and well in Oz!!!

Buzzy
im not anti 4x4 ive had one and i liked it.

they are more prone to roll over because of the high centre of gravity.
it is something to consider.

the bbc has been building anti 4x4 in feeling in england, calling them gas guzzlers, but my diesel 4x4 used less fuel than my new style mini..
i dont see the bbc calling for a reduction in power in all cars

if you want one m8 then get one

i like leather seats too but ive read lots of people saying leather is pants in the hot sun..
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant futureWendy&Mike has a brilliant future

Leather is the best unless it's black. We have leather in our 4by (pronounced four-bi as in bib). It lets your skin breath and doesn't absorb sweat. Cloth just absorbs sweat and ends up smelly.

Mike.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 4:44 pm
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy&Mike
Leather is the best unless it's black. We have leather in our 4by (pronounced four-bi as in bib). It lets your skin breath and doesn't absorb sweat. Cloth just absorbs sweat and ends up smelly.

Mike.
Can't beat a bit of dune bashing!!
Attached Thumbnails Anti 4x4 sentiment-p3030050.jpg   Anti 4x4 sentiment-p3030053.jpg   Anti 4x4 sentiment-p3030059.jpg  
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

shauny is just really niceshauny is just really niceshauny is just really niceshauny is just really niceshauny is just really niceshauny is just really niceshauny is just really niceshauny is just really nice

Hi
Just to say, I love 4x4's and will be getting one if I get to Aus. Also to those who think they are "safe" ok there is the centre of gravity thing, that they can roll over.....but the ladder chassis they are usually built on have proved to be unsafe.... apparently the smaller cars with the crumple zones fair better, where as the 4x4's ladder chassis has no give, so more force to the occupants in an impact
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:04 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

For instance, 232Bar's Nissan Pathfinder does 8.1litres/100k.
Really? Is it petrol or diesel? The best mine has got down to is 9, but 11 or 12 is more common.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

I've hit 2 Kangaroo's in the last month, once in a 2 wheel drive Ute with a bull bar, and the other time in a Jackaroo. In the Ute is crossed my mind very quickly that it wouldn't take a lot to send the bloody thing up over the bonnet. I felt a lot safer in the 4x4.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

You tell me which 7 seat MPV provides -

diesel
full length side curtain airbags
leather seats
cruise control
rear park assist.

and I will happily consider buying it.

I have researched every 7 seater available in Oz and haven't found an MPV that offers all this, for the price of the Pathfinder.

my research -

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=376751

Buzzy
What about the Chrysler Grand Voyager, they have 7 seats AND a big boot as well as under floor space.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 6:01 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santa
What about the Chrysler Grand Voyager, they have 7 seats AND a big boot as well as under floor space.
But only Petrol!!! In the UK you can only get them in Diesel!

Buzzy
Old Mar 31st 2007, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not "bent on buying a 4x4" at all - I just can't find an MPV that suits!

The Toyota Tarago doesnt have a diesel option or leather, it doesn't have the 3-row side curtain airbags and it drinks more fuel than the Pathfinder. Plus it costs almost $70,000 and has a 3.5 litre engine!!! I've never owned a car with an engine that big!

The landrover costs $85,000!

Buzzy
We had a new Toyota Previa in Belgium and it was awful. I love Toyota but would never buy a Tarago after our experiences with the Previa (plus we had a Tarago hire car when we first arrived). We have a Jackaroo which has the 7 seats but the back seats aren't full size so now that the kids are getting bigger they aren't all that comfortable. We may well replace it with an MPV when we get to that point but I must say it is a great car overall. We enjoy some off roading and where we are many of he roads aren't tarmac. It survived an argument with a roo without any problem so can't complain about that .
I would say go for the 4WD but be aware that the luggage space is generally a bit naff (compromises have to be made with anything so it's not the end of the world) and the back seats aren't always great. Can't say that we would bother with leather but if that is what floats your boat then go ahead .
Nicky
Old Mar 31st 2007, 10:49 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think the major difference is that in the Uk when exactly are you going to go off road ? The M&S carpark perchance ?

Here we use our 4x4's. There are heaps of places to actually use them and frankly some of our roads are so shite you want to have one anyway.

To top off that, if you dont drive a 4x4 then you probably drive V6 anyway (min 4.0lt) or bigger V8 in Australia.

Nobody gives a crap as to what you drive. Except if you drive a BMW or a Merc which, oddly enough, is probably the opposite to the UK where most people think you are just plain stupid for paying a ridiculous price or stuck up yourself.
You get what you pay for. Fuel consumption on a 3.0d X5 is unreal compared to some of the cheap asian 4X4 cars like Hyundai and Nissan. Beamers and Mercs are also great at keeping their value.

I agree, nobody cares what you drive which is very refreshing. Safety, comfort and ride quality is all important though if you're going to be driving a fair bit in Oz.

R
Old Mar 31st 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

yes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to allyes of course is a name known to all

[QUOTE=samnrob2

I agree, nobody cares what you drive which is very refreshing. Safety, comfort and ride quality is all important though if you're going to be driving a fair bit in Oz.

R[/QUOTE]

if this were truly the case, then no one would but a 4x
to be decent off road,the ground clearance has to be high, that in turn makes ride and handling suffer.. i had mine because i liked it, i didnt actually need it.

i think in england it was the sport type 4x that caused the anti' sentiment the op mentioned.
when it was basic 4x4's it was ok but when the massive engine output sport types appeared, women started to drive them in a city that is not geared up for them, thats when the sentiment/hype started..

most4x have become more modern now so i dont know if this still applies. they used to be classed as agricultural vehicles and as such they didnt have the crash testing standards applied to them so they performed really badly.
ironic that they are bought on a safety angle.

i suppose you could buy a sherman tank to protect yourself from the roo's
Old Mar 31st 2007, 1:06 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to find any thing about 4WD/Driving,camping etc , go to this web site ,for more accurate information.
http://www.exploroz.com/Default.aspx
.............mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.