Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:50 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

Originally Posted by toandfro
you and me both I think theres a few who would miss me to line you up
also alot of maybe's but no facts and i believe towing a boat and the wife being happy round town where 2 considerations which negates outback wales etc etc etc
as I have said before justify it to yourself I don't give a fig .if you wish to drive round town playing look how good I am in my 4x4 go for it just don't expect every one to pat you on the back and say good fellow and don't get bent when not every one agrees . One last point if you want safety then spend the doe and buy it .side curtain air bags are an advertising gimmic and offer no extra protection over the structure of the car in side impact accidents or full frontal they cause more injury but hey your money your kids .............
Your not going to use that argument as well are you?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:50 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
This is a problem throughout the Western World and not just in Australia. Australia's role in the new World economy is to provide the raw materials and it's something we do very well.
no it isn't our role in a world ecconomy that is just garbage we use to produce "stuff" things where made here but greed killed it . now we sell coal and ores instead of producing and exporting goods which we could manufacture and in the near future when coal dies off and we become a holiday camp what then ?? pretty poor view IMO .your right on one point though we do sell aust off bit by bit very well live off finite resource don't plan ahead its un australian and takes up beach time
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

hi buzzy here is a pic of my hilux 4x4 its an old 1986 one. i have not seen or heard of any anti 4x4 sentiment where we live.
if you look in bunnings car park allmost every other car is a 4x4
Attached Thumbnails Anti 4x4 sentiment-inside-house-218.jpg   Anti 4x4 sentiment-inside-house-217.jpg  
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:55 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Your not going to use that argument as well are you?
which argument is that , my argument is side air bags don't save kids so don't use tham as a major factor in buying a car the disco as won every award going and has more than passed impact tests so if saving your kids in the accident your planning on having is your priority than you can justify spending $65-$85 (aus) on a car .if you are not planning an accident but being prudent in case of then examine the impact tests and safety tests not the sales hype .
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robert cowan
hi buzzy here is a pic of my hilux 4x4 its an old 1986 one. i have not seen or heard of any anti 4x4 sentiment where we live.
if you look in bunnings car park allmost every other car is a 4x4
Now thats what I'm talking bout! Nice wagon!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:59 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

which argument is that , my argument is side air bags don't save kids so don't use tham as a major factor in buying a car the disco as won every award going and has more than passed impact tests so if saving your kids in the accident your planning on having is your priority than you can justify spending $65-$85 (aus) on a car .if you are not planning an accident but being prudent in case of then examine the impact tests and safety tests not the sales hype .
I misunderstood your point then, accept my apologies, I thought you were talking about the damage they are supposed to inflict on pedestrian children.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:05 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I misunderstood your point then, accept my apologies, I thought you were talking about the damage they are supposed to inflict on pedestrian children.
certainly not .small cars do more damage (low speed) than 4x4 due to the sloping bonnet cuts 'em down at the knees and then they smash their heads on the bonnet or road ,where a larger car 4x4 ,hits full length and the kid is more likely to land no their side or back still hurts but less likely fatal . if I can find the link for the crash tests I'll post
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:57 am
Straw Man.

certainly not .small cars do more damage (low speed) than 4x4 due to the sloping bonnet cuts 'em down at the knees and then they smash their heads on the bonnet or road ,where a larger car 4x4 ,hits full length and the kid is more likely to land no their side or back still hurts but less likely fatal . if I can find the link for the crash tests I'll post
I did somewhere else, its actually busses that cause the greatest problem, ironic since they are the things taking the majority of children to school!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:58 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Side airbags work in conjunction with the side impact beams welded into the doors. They are additional thorax protection in the event of a serious side impact or roll over (yep - they fit them to small cars as well, as, believe it or not, they roll over as well and get hit in the side) Curtain airbags will also deploy in the event of side impact/roll over. Their primary function is not so much cushioning as protection from flying glass. Saves you getting tempered glass shards in your eyes so seems like a reasonable idea to me. By your logic, maybe we shouldn't fit laminated windscreens, seatbelts (god forbid pre-tensioners on them), head restraints, especially not active ones, front airbags, crumple zones, tyres with tread, ABS brakes, or even just brakes full stop. All this safety stuff - pah - who needs it???
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:01 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by 232Bar
Side airbags work in conjunction with the side impact beams welded into the doors. They are additional thorax protection in the event of a serious side impact or roll over (yep - they fit them to small cars as well, as, believe it or not, they roll over as well and get hit in the side) Curtain airbags will also deploy in the event of side impact/roll over. Their primary function is not so much cushioning as protection from flying glass. Saves you getting tempered glass shards in your eyes so seems like a reasonable idea to me. By your logic, maybe we shouldn't fit laminated windscreens, seatbelts (god forbid pre-tensioners on them), head restraints, especially not active ones, front airbags, crumple zones, tyres with tread, ABS brakes, or even just brakes full stop. All this safety stuff - pah - who needs it???
Exactly! What ever happened to the good ole days of just taking the crash like a man!?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:07 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

And *definitely* not drive to all four wheels at once (god forbid you might get better traction in adverse weather conditions) and a slightly raised centre of gravity.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:16 am
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Hutch
And *definitely* not drive to all four wheels at once (god forbid you might get better traction in adverse weather conditions) and a slightly raised centre of gravity.
or even a better driving position, allowing, statistically, a faster response and reaction time.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:36 am
beam me up scotty

airbags are deployed as impact protection once a predifined point is reached ,safety glass does not shard it breaks in cubes. if you want to get pedantic stay home do not drive and don't walk there is a point where money can be better spent if you investigate the accidents /deaths causes and actions you will find that buy air bags over better biult is not ecconomic or safe but as I said buy what you like justify it how you like .my logic says it's better to buy a better built car to a gadget that may help .the last point is the number of people that buy these cars/4x4s with all the bells and bags then run on bold tyre s over/under inflated ,sevice is driving thought the car wash can't afford to get new discs fitter so run'em to the steel ,I can still crash into gear so new cluch not yet ........
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:42 am
Straw Man.

.the last point is the number of people that buy these cars/4x4s with all the bells and bags then run on bold tyre s over/under inflated ,sevice is driving thought the car wash can't afford to get new discs fitter so run'em to the steel ,I can still crash into gear so new cluch not yet ........
so could a lot of people but then I do see your point.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

In my view, 4x4s are OK. Yes, some city folk don't need them. Yes a lot of people have chips on their shoulders about people who own them.

I've never seen an accident which a 4x4 made worse. I think all cars can kill and maim and you can see more from a 4x4.

Many Australians do actually use their 4x4- generally they camp far more than most Brits will ever do.

So.....my tip is go for it unless you live in Toorak, and avoid the bigger petrol models stick to diesel.

Some people need the big ones for towing horse boxes and/or trailers.

I have a small 4x4 dual cab ute, its footprint is not much bigger than a Ford or Holden wagon and I can see further from it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.