Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Anti 4x4 sentiment

Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:05 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 4x4 sentiment

Originally Posted by Centurion
Wow - anger management classes are usually advertised in the local paper fyi
thanks for the tip but it wasn't anger just a question to clarify .I find the best way to deal with anger is to beat the shite out of some moron that needs it
Old Apr 1st 2007, 6:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toandfro
please excuse my ignorance but where the hell are you based at the minute ,you are asking about 4x4's in Aust yet I have just been reading your thread on a reccie to brisbane and another where you where offering opinion on Ipswitch as if you had lived there (although you say you haven't) if you're not in Aust yet I think what you drive is of little conciquence and more improtantly house job etc. and if you are in the UK what the hell do you need a 4x4 for ?? make sure the pedestrians go down and under like a roo instead of though the windshield?
I don't think I'm going to reply to being spoken to like that.

Buzzy
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:08 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowfly
We really didn't need a 4x4 in the Uk
Many of us did in the UK and yes they were a necessity. Rural sussex does get muddy, it does snow, there are some roads that dont get grit.

I went for a 3 litre against a 6.1 only because one had 8 seats the other only 5.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:12 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I don't think I'm going to reply to being spoken to like that.

Buzzy
funny reply to say your not repling
Old Apr 1st 2007, 7:16 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

funny reply
unlike your post
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LisaD_uk
We drive a Disco at the moment and looking at the prices in OZ is it worth transporting it.
BTW we drive one as we love it and hubby works on them so its cheap to fix he services it himself.
Lisa
xxxx
As for person (sorry should have quoted) selling 1.8 Freelander hubby says petrol Freelander do not sell well 2nd hand, you should have brought a disco or at least a diesel but good luck hope you manage to get rid of it.
There would be no point as landrover parts are expensive in Oz. You can pick up a fab Toyota 4 x 4 for a fraction of what they cost here plus they are far more reliable and the parts are cheap out there. This is coming from someone that actually off roads and knows there 4 x 4's.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
None of that shit here. You should be able to drive what you like no matter what Country you live in. People in London who hate 4x4s are happy with V8 BMWs and Jags. Wankers.
Bloody hell Amazulu, I swear that every time I read one of your posts you have gotten more right wing!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

blowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of lightblowfly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Many of us did in the UK and yes they were a necessity. Rural sussex does get muddy, it does snow, there are some roads that dont get grit.

I went for a 3 litre against a 6.1 only because one had 8 seats the other only 5.
Yes I know many people that did need them,but I was speaking about myself really I didn't one. I think if it's a necessity in the UK some allowances should be made.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:01 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

please excuse my ignorance
No.

Or your spelling.

If you're not in Aust yet I think what you drive is of little conciquence and more improtantly house job etc.
It's one of many details people like to think about prior to making the move. Just because BB has posted on the subject, does not mean they plan to arrive in Australia with a couple of suitcases and head straight down to the local Toyota dealership. Moreover, if you have a commute ahead of you (many people have employment arranged prior to arrival) then the type of car you purchase in Australia is extremely important, in terms of fuel economy and therefore your weekly outgoings and ongoing viability of living in certain areas. If you have a family then considerations on safety and vehicle passenger capacity is important. Discussing these issues with informed people is what this 'discussion' forum is for.

and if you are in the UK what the hell do you need a 4x4 for ??
Maybe BB lives 15 miles up a farm track in Northern Wales. Maybe BB works for a government agency that requires regular trips 'off-road' to inspect storm culverts. Maybe BB is an architect and needs to visit building sites. Maybe BB is a rural vet. Lots of people are perfectly justified in owning a 4x4, even though they live in the UK ... last time I checked it hadn't been completely tarmac'd over yet.

make sure the pedestrians go down and under like a roo instead of though the windshield?
Wouldn't have thought so ... though I reckon an exception could be made in your case.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:13 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree Hutch, a lot of folk who post on here have bought cars over the internet and arranged to pick them up on arrival. Saves time messing around hiring a car if you know the make and model you want.
Some people are born organisers and like everything squared away and nothing left to chance............................................ ..........................if only I'd married one of those
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:17 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by kezzabird
There would be no point as landrover parts are expensive in Oz. You can pick up a fab Toyota 4 x 4 for a fraction of what they cost here plus they are far more reliable and the parts are cheap out there. This is coming from someone that actually off roads and knows there 4 x 4's.
all parts are expensive in oz, funny thing though ,people buy toyotas etc and forget that 50-60 yrs ago we were worried about the "red" invasion now we sell our primary resource (coal ore etc) then buy back products and smile at how lucky we are ! nothing is produced in this country and before you point at holden they are assembled here not manufatured . just MO
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:36 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I agree Hutch, a lot of folk who post on here have bought cars over the internet and arranged to pick them up on arrival. Saves time messing around hiring a car if you know the make and model you want.
Some people are born organisers and like everything squared away and nothing left to chance............................................ ..........................if only I'd married one of those
about the whole 4wd thing. for me its a necessity. not so mush that i need one for every day use but i enjoy camping and getting out and about. to do that here you need a 4WD. without one i would not have seen many of the beautiful places that i have. you simply cannot access them with a regular car and who really wants to join a trip with heaps of other people. there expensive to maintain and our fuel bill is around $90 a week just when used for work. on paper there not an option but if you intend to use one for what they are designed to do then buy one.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

all parts are expensive in oz, funny thing though ,people buy toyotas etc and forget that 50-60 yrs ago we were worried about the "red" invasion now we sell our primary resource (coal ore etc) then buy back products and smile at how lucky we are ! nothing is produced in this country and before you point at holden they are assembled here not manufatured . just MO
This is a problem throughout the Western World and not just in Australia. Australia's role in the new World economy is to provide the raw materials and it's something we do very well.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:39 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the UK and I drive a 4x4, I make no excuse for it, I have a fairly green agenda in life but I simply dont see owning a 4x4 as the greatest crime against the planet out there, with industry pumping the majority of the pollutants into the atmosphere I cant see how changing what you drive makes a jot of difference.

What would I change to? I need a larger car, so do I buy an Estate? Much bigger than a hell of a lot of 4x4's and some are far more polluting!

How about a Prius? Well the energy used to produce them makes them just as polluting over their life time as any gass guzzler.

As someone who has been at the raw end of 4x4 rage recently I cant believe that we are now being told what kind of car we are allowed to drive! The cold hard fact is that the most common reason cited is anger at people driving an expensive 4x4, because I can tell you none of my friends who drive beaten up landrovers get any stick, it is classist yet again, people are jealous because they have become a status symbol here in the UK and in Europe! Then they try to back up their argument with comments like "they kill children quicker" or "they are the biggest polluters on the road" or what ever other line is taken by the lefties that week.

Drive one if you want to, if you dont then dont!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:42 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by Hutch
No.

Or your spelling.

back to the spelling tut tut tut

It's one of many details people like to think about prior to making the move. Just because BB has posted on the subject, does not mean they plan to arrive in Australia with a couple of suitcases and head straight down to the local Toyota dealership. Moreover, if you have a commute ahead of you (many people have employment arranged prior to arrival) then the type of car you purchase in Australia is extremely important, in terms of fuel economy and therefore your weekly outgoings and ongoing viability of living in certain areas. If you have a family then considerations on safety and vehicle passenger capacity is important. Discussing these issues with informed people is what this 'discussion' forum is for.
if you have lined up work then you will have rented a car to assess your need ,I have come across people who have done just that headed out bought a car the day they landed .if you wish to discuss safety features ,then I am only to pleased to join in as engineering is what I do not write stories

Maybe BB lives 15 miles up a farm track in Northern Wales. Maybe BB works for a government agency that requires regular trips 'off-road' to inspect storm culverts. Maybe BB is an architect and needs to visit building sites. Maybe BB is a rural vet. Lots of people are perfectly justified in owning a 4x4, even though they live in the UK ... last time I checked it hadn't been completely tarmac'd over yet.
maybe but I think not

Wouldn't have thought so ... though I reckon an exception could be made in your case.
you and me both I think theres a few who would miss me to line you up
also alot of maybe's but no facts and i believe towing a boat and the wife being happy round town where 2 considerations which negates outback wales etc etc etc
as I have said before justify it to yourself I don't give a fig .if you wish to drive round town playing look how good I am in my 4x4 go for it just don't expect every one to pat you on the back and say good fellow and don't get bent when not every one agrees . One last point if you want safety then spend the doe and buy it .side curtain air bags are an advertising gimmic and offer no extra protection over the structure of the car in side impact accidents or full frontal they cause more injury but hey your money your kids .............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.