Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anti 457 visa protest

Anti 457 visa protest

Old Jul 14th 2012, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice
Default Anti 457 visa protest

Have seen there are several anti 457 visa protests being organised especially in WA.
Do forum members feel these are aimed at a return to the White Australia policy of the 60s?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:02 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anti 457 visa protest

depends on which politician is behind it.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:11 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

No, I can understand locals wanting to work where the money is - rather than the companies importing cheap offshore labour. It would cost the mining companies money to train up locals - but my personal opinion is that they should invest some of their squillions in profits into training and development - thus contributing to the country they're digging up.

I doubt it's a white versus non-white thing - but then I don't live in WA and don't actually know if it is or not.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:49 am

Location: "What I did, I did without choice. In the name of peace and sanity."
mrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond reputemrsgreenstar76 has a reputation beyond repute

I've moved this to the general Australia forum, as it's not really appropriate for the immigration section.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by goldchoccycoin
No, I can understand locals wanting to work where the money is - rather than the companies importing cheap offshore labour. It would cost the mining companies money to train up locals - but my personal opinion is that they should invest some of their squillions in profits into training and development - thus contributing to the country they're digging up.

I doubt it's a white versus non-white thing - but then I don't live in WA and don't actually know if it is or not.
To suggest companies who employ hundreds of thousands of highly taxed employees should contribute to the country is about the stupidest remark I've seen on this forum for a long time. Their taxes, both personal and corporate, and mining royalties are all thats keeping the country going at the moment.
Almost beaten by thinking that 457 workers are cheaper than locals.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

desert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nicedesert-rat is just really nice

Although 457 workers are supposed to be paid the same as those already with the right to work in Australia I think that the Unions etc are putting the rumour that they will be paid less about as a scare mongering tactic. Feedback i have been getting is that Australian workers are scared their jobs will be taken by workers from Asia.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desert-rat
Have seen there are several anti 457 visa protests being organised especially in WA.
Do forum members feel these are aimed at a return to the White Australia policy of the 60s?
I'm on a 457 Visa and I'm white, in fact most of the 457 Visa holders i know are white, so not sure why it would be aimed at a return to white Australia.

It does however show that those organising them or attending have a total lack of understanding of the economy of their own country.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

Although 457 workers are supposed to be paid the same as those already with the right to work in Australia I think that the Unions etc are putting the rumour that they will be paid less about as a scare mongering tactic. Feedback i have been getting is that Australian workers are scared their jobs will be taken by workers from Asia.
457 Visas need to be approved by the DIAC, they aren't just handed out willy nilly.

Why would an employer go to the hassle of brining someone from abroad if they had someone capable on their doorstep?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bingobob777
457 Visas need to be approved by the DIAC, they aren't just handed out willy nilly.

Why would an employer go to the hassle of brining someone from abroad if they had someone capable on their doorstep?
Very simple,
Why pay a "Local" say $XYZ when you can have 2 or 3 457 Visa holders for the same price?
Why worry about when the worker is permanantly injured?No costs
Why worry if any of your workers speak up on safety etc?Easy ,replace them with workers too scared to complain.
Why try and cheat workers out of their Contract/Agreed/Law wage?Easy way around it is employ 457 employees only.
And they are not paid the same as Australians.
Fact.
The Racist tag,,so easily used by those too lazy to think
Ever wonder why USA is in the doldrums?
Or was that racist outsourcing their industries and bring in "CHEAP" Overseas labour to further lower the American economy.
I seem to remember the vast majority of British sqeaking,moaning etc when their nation was flooded by cheap Polish workers,and before that Indian and Pakis.
Look how great England is today.
There is enough wealth and prosperity for ALL Australians to enjoy without lowering our standard of living to a Third World Nation
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by boots
Very simple,
Why pay a "Local" say $XYZ when you can have 2 or 3 457 Visa holders for the same price?
Why worry about when the worker is permanantly injured?No costs
Why worry if any of your workers speak up on safety etc?Easy ,replace them with workers too scared to complain.
Why try and cheat workers out of their Contract/Agreed/Law wage?Easy way around it is employ 457 employees only.
And they are not paid the same as Australians.
Fact.
The Racist tag,,so easily used by those too lazy to think
Ever wonder why USA is in the doldrums?
Or was that racist outsourcing their industries and bring in "CHEAP" Overseas labour to further lower the American economy.
I seem to remember the vast majority of British sqeaking,moaning etc when their nation was flooded by cheap Polish workers,and before that Indian and Pakis.
Look how great England is today.
There is enough wealth and prosperity for ALL Australians to enjoy without lowering our standard of living to a Third World Nation

You're kind of missing the point, most of those coming on 457 Visas are professional people with years of experience who then go on to contribute large amounts of money into the Australian economy.

Most aren't Asian, they're British, American, European, Irish.

And the employer sponsoring the 457 visa is legally obliged to pay them the same as a local worker.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

I was replying on the basis of using White Australia policy,Racism etc in the above posts.
It is a confirmed concern,I know personally,how the"457 System" operates.
This isn't in regards to Proffesional careers 457 Visa's.
Lets say Gina R.,a large Mine owner,wants to make more money-fair call as thats why anyone is in business.
The company requires ,say 350 workers,for their Big Dirt Mine in Upper Kumbukaa West.
They advertise for a Truck Operator with First Aid,Logistics etc etc qualifications.I apply and get an auto generated ,if any at all,rejection.
MMmmmm,I have Para-Medic qualifications,so tick on the 1st aid,have MC(Road Trains,Tippers + all types of other heavy machinary tickets etc-again tick,have extensive remote Desert work experience here and in USA/Mexico,have a Diploma in Logistics Management-But I am not qualified enough to operate a small truck in a straight line!!!True story!!!
I know of an Engineer in Brisbane in the same boat!!!!
So Mining Company goes back to Government persons dealing with "Labour Shortage" and pleads their case,Labour Minister scared of Mining Company rubber stamps 457 for UNSKILLED LABOURERS ,whilst decreeing he is doing all he can to alleviate the LABOUR SHORTAGE.
And the person saying that companies have to pay the 457 Visa Holder the equiv. wage?
Why do you think a lot of jobs are only advertised in New Zealand or China and escp.The Philippines?
Why was the Irish Man killed on a building site rigging when his 457 Visa was for a highly qualified Engineer?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I was replying on the basis of using White Australia policy,Racism etc in the above posts.
Lets say Gina R.,a large Mine owner,wants to make more money-fair call as thats why anyone is in business.
The company requires ,say 350 workers,for their Big Dirt Mine in Upper Kumbukaa West.
They advertise for a Truck Operator with First Aid,Logistics etc etc qualifications.I apply and get an auto generated ,if any at all,rejection.
MMmmmm,I have Para-Medic qualifications,so tick on the 1st aid,have MC(Road Trains,Tippers + all types of other heavy machinary tickets etc-again tick,have extensive remote Desert work experience here and in USA/Mexico,have a Diploma in Logistics Management-But I am not qualified enough to operate a small truck in a straight line!!!True story!!!
So Mining Company goes back to Government persons dealing with "Labour Shortage" and pleads their case,Labour Minister scared of Mining Company rubber stamps 457 for UNSKILLED LABOURERS ,whilst decreeing he is doing all he can to alleviate the LABOUR SHORTAGE.
And the person saying that companies have to pay the 457 Visa Holder the equiv. wage?
Why do you think a lot of jobs are only advertised in New Zealand or China and escp.The Philippines?
Why was the Irish Man killed on a building site rigging when his 457 Visa was for a highly qualified Engineer?
Do you have any evidence 457 Visas are being approved for unskilled labourer jobs?

Here's some extracts from Australian Govt website

The subclass 457 visa is for skilled workers from outside Australia who have been sponsored and nominated by a business to work in Australia on a temporary basis.

A business can sponsor a skilled worker if they cannot find an appropriately skilled Australian citizen or permanent resident to fill a skilled position listed in the Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List

You must ensure that the terms and conditions of employment provided to a skilled worker are no less favourable than the terms and conditions the person provides, or would provide, to an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident to perform work in an equivalent position in the person's workplace at the same location
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

You don't know what you are talking about and sound obviously very bitter..
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

I worked in Australia before on a 457 visa. The work location and salary were tied into the visa.
My original post was to see if 457 visas are being handed out willy nilly now as one would think from reading the protest posters and flyers.
I know some of the people who will attend these rallys and most are former employees engaged for manual mechanical work. It seems they have been told that their jobs are at risk.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I worked in Australia before on a 457 visa. The work location and salary were tied into the visa.
My original post was to see if 457 visas are being handed out willy nilly now as one would think from reading the protest posters and flyers.
I know some of the people who will attend these rallys and most are former employees engaged for manual mechanical work. It seems they have been told that their jobs are at risk.
They're not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.