Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ant eradication - any top tips?

Ant eradication - any top tips?

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:07 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ant eradication - any top tips?

Hi peeps,
Our rental is a little too busy with other tenants at the moment, namely ants. Mostly bog standard size, but some brothers with large heads.
Now I am cool with aussie wild life, and I've lived in a few houses over here, but these ants are stubborn bastards, and there are a lot of them.
One morning not long after we moved in they infested a tube of organic baby cream used for my daughters bum. I unclipped the lid and they were feasting inside. They are in every room, I seem to spend my time scanning the floor, rather than looking at the children!
On a funnier note they do love to carry single rice krispies off to their lairs only to be defeated by the krispie/crack in the wall ratio.
any ideas? I've tried all the general products in the supermarket, bunnings etc. Do I need to get the infestation people in? And if I do, do you thing the landlord should cough up?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:15 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ant eradication - any top tips?

"IF" you know where they are entering your house sprinkle some bog standard talcum powder across their run.

For some reason they won't cross it.

I thought it was a wind up until I tried it myself with those fat assed green ants.

They immediately turned round and went back the way they had come.

Quite commical seeing two adjacent lines of the buggas side by side walking in the opposite direction.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:16 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by webgum
Hi peeps,
Our rental is a little too busy with other tenants at the moment, namely ants. Mostly bog standard size, but some brothers with large heads.
Now I am cool with aussie wild life, and I've lived in a few houses over here, but these ants are stubborn bastards, and there are a lot of them.
One morning not long after we moved in they infested a tube of organic baby cream used for my daughters bum. I unclipped the lid and they were feasting inside. They are in every room, I seem to spend my time scanning the floor, rather than looking at the children!
On a funnier note they do love to carry single rice krispies off to their lairs only to be defeated by the krispie/crack in the wall ratio.
any ideas? I've tried all the general products in the supermarket, bunnings etc. Do I need to get the infestation people in? And if I do, do you thing the landlord should cough up?
Follow 'em back to their ingress point. Often they'll come through the tiniest (protected) hole even though there is a gaping window or door nearby - they don't like being eaten by spiders. Plug the hole tightly with whatever. If coming through door etc, leave a little jam away from door near the soil on one of their trails.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:18 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Megalania
Follow 'em back to their ingress point. Often they'll come through the tiniest (protected) hole even though there is a gaping window or door nearby - they don't like being eaten by spiders. Plug the hole tightly with whatever. If coming through door etc, leave a little jam away from door near the soil on one of their trails.

Alternatively, buy a box of rice crispies .....and stay in for the night

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
What's the jam for Megs ?
Easy food to take their attention ?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:22 am
Phoenixuk2oz

On a more serious note:

I had an ants nest when I lived in rental last year. Tried lots of stuff. None worked.

Then I came home to find mum [on hols] had bought some ant powder from Coles for about $8 :scared:

Got rid though. Money well spent

Not sure what it's called but it's in a yellow sprinkler tub / Coles /about $8

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:32 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
What's the jam for Megs ?
Easy food to take their attention ?
Yep. (White man's poison.)

They need protein (small animals) but have an easily sated taste for sweets.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:49 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the tips - I shall have a new assault tomorrow.
Phoenix - the box of crispies sounds like an exciting night in for me!!
First stop - talcum powder, then Coles
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 11:51 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by webgum
Phoenix - the box of crispies sounds like an exciting night in for me!!
First stop - talcum powder, then Coles
Aye... for gawds sake......don't gerrum mixed up :scared:

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:00 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
On a more serious note:

I had an ants nest when I lived in rental last year. Tried lots of stuff. None worked.

Then I came home to find mum [on hols] had bought some ant powder from Coles for about $8 :scared:

Got rid though. Money well spent

Not sure what it's called but it's in a yellow sprinkler tub / Coles /about $8

Think it's called Ant Sand - worked for me
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:05 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by arnie2oz

Think it's called Ant Sand - worked for me
Blimey...cheers Arnie2oz

And you're MUCH bigger than an ant too!

See...there you go.....must be good stuff

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:06 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Blimey...cheers Arnie2oz

And you're MUCH bigger than an ant too!

See...there you go.....must be good stuff
Did he use a bucket and spade too ?
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:10 pm
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Bix
Did he use a bucket and spade too ?
And build sand castles..... wiv the ants...... and ant sand