Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:56 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

We live in Mandurah, got here on 136 skills visa, (cook) i managed to get some hours at the local TAFE working as a cook, the hours advertised were from 7 - 3.30, i got to the interview and was told that its 7 - 1.30, the 3.30 was in case there any functions on. I agreed to the post, and started, all was fine until the 'manageress' (more like lioness!!) started to poke her nose in all my pans of food. i could go on about her wanting me to cook a bechamel sauce with milk and just cornflour, and asking (no telling me!!) to cook FROZEN chickens, when i refused it was such an issue, but i am going off the point.

She then decided that because I managed to get the meals out on time, she would cut my hours, WITHOUT any discussion, she said on a friday afternoon to look at the rota because she has changed some of the staff hours for the following week. Mine was cut to finish at 12.00 !!! what cook finishes work at the crucial service time???? she was just so rude to everyone, all the delivery drivers seemed to dislike her so much because of her lack of manners. I eventually couldn't take the crap any more so i told her i was finishing work at the end of the week, "the job isn't what i thought it would be" after her trying to work out what my problem was, i ended up telling her about the lack catering knowledge across the board, and my hours being cut. she was stuck for words, and i eventually left....

Since then i can't get ANYTHING, in the UK I was an office manager and worked in accounts doing all the company books, total control of the accounts, running all the admin etc....i have applied for literally dozens of jobs, and i haven't had a look in...I have actually got a spreadsheet going so i can keep up with where i am up to. The hours on offer are either 15-20 hrs a week, and with the mortgages etc here i need to be clearing $500 per week. i was offered a job the other day but the hours were for 20 hrs, then i went to a Dr's practise yesterday and was offered the job, but the money was CRAP, the office manageress, told me she was sorry the salary was so bad, and i would be better off probably going to K mart and picking my hours...!!!! but i really don't think i could even do that!! she said the women there had been there for over 10 years, the newest has been there for 5, and they don't ask for a wage rise.... what!!!! why????? perhaps they don't need it with the big investment they are sat on at home,,,, (i sound really sore, but i am not, good luck to them)
I am getting really depressed with the thought that i am not wanted, the only conclusion i can come up with, is that women here generally work part time, (and thats great if you don't have a big mortgage... due to the house prices etc) I also have an 11 yr old that i need to think about in school time, all our plans have gone to pot, we thought that i could get a p/t job, and have enough money coming in for a small mtg,, its just too much
anyone any answers?? I was thinking of going on a medical receptionist course , but whats the point for $15+ per hour???
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:41 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another work (or lack of work) horror story.......

Originally Posted by soonbethere
We live in Mandurah, got here on 136 skills visa, (cook) i managed to get some hours at the local TAFE working as a cook, the hours advertised were from 7 - 3.30, i got to the interview and was told that its 7 - 1.30, the 3.30 was in case there any functions on. I agreed to the post, and started, all was fine until the 'manageress' (more like lioness!!) started to poke her nose in all my pans of food. i could go on about her wanting me to cook a bechamel sauce with milk and just cornflour, and asking (no telling me!!) to cook FROZEN chickens, when i refused it was such an issue, but i am going off the point.

She then decided that because I managed to get the meals out on time, she would cut my hours, WITHOUT any discussion, she said on a friday afternoon to look at the rota because she has changed some of the staff hours for the following week. Mine was cut to finish at 12.00 !!! what cook finishes work at the crucial service time???? she was just so rude to everyone, all the delivery drivers seemed to dislike her so much because of her lack of manners. I eventually couldn't take the crap any more so i told her i was finishing work at the end of the week, "the job isn't what i thought it would be" after her trying to work out what my problem was, i ended up telling her about the lack catering knowledge across the board, and my hours being cut. she was stuck for words, and i eventually left....

Since then i can't get ANYTHING, in the UK I was an office manager and worked in accounts doing all the company books, total control of the accounts, running all the admin etc....i have applied for literally dozens of jobs, and i haven't had a look in...I have actually got a spreadsheet going so i can keep up with where i am up to. The hours on offer are either 15-20 hrs a week, and with the mortgages etc here i need to be clearing $500 per week. i was offered a job the other day but the hours were for 20 hrs, then i went to a Dr's practise yesterday and was offered the job, but the money was CRAP, the office manageress, told me she was sorry the salary was so bad, and i would be better off probably going to K mart and picking my hours...!!!! but i really don't think i could even do that!! she said the women there had been there for over 10 years, the newest has been there for 5, and they don't ask for a wage rise.... what!!!! why????? perhaps they don't need it with the big investment they are sat on at home,,,, (i sound really sore, but i am not, good luck to them)
I am getting really depressed with the thought that i am not wanted, the only conclusion i can come up with, is that women here generally work part time, (and thats great if you don't have a big mortgage... due to the house prices etc) I also have an 11 yr old that i need to think about in school time, all our plans have gone to pot, we thought that i could get a p/t job, and have enough money coming in for a small mtg,, its just too much
anyone any answers?? I was thinking of going on a medical receptionist course , but whats the point for $15+ per hour???
Dont really know you or your situation, but, have you ever thought about setting your sights a little higher, and perhaps, applying for a job that maybe you could 'grow' into? After you have 'sold' yourself at the IV of course!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I am never sure if people realise this before they arrive but a massive amount of jobs employ people as casual, cutting your hours about to what ever suits the employer. Some reports say up to 40% of jobs are casual ( which is interesting when we say we have incredibly low employment, because you are considered employed even if your only getting 2 hours a week! )

Cant help with job suggestions, thought perth was supposed to have a war and peace size job vacancy section if its like here tho, most of those jobs are woop woop or so casual they dont pay enough to bother with.

Considered creating your own work, we found it was the only way to make a living here.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:29 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I am never sure if people realise this before they arrive but a massive amount of jobs employ people as casual, cutting your hours about to what ever suits the employer. Some reports say up to 40% of jobs are casual ( which is interesting when we say we have incredibly low employment, because you are considered employed even if your only getting 2 hours a week! )

Cant help with job suggestions, thought perth was supposed to have a war and peace size job vacancy section if its like here tho, most of those jobs are woop woop or so casual they dont pay enough to bother with.

Considered creating your own work, we found it was the only way to make a living here.
a thread close to my heart. have a look at my threads about the very same thing...............

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427065

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=430735

i have posted on other threads about the same thing. what can i say? i know
exactly how you feel. my sister did the medical receptionist thing, and has just jot a job where we live for 3 days a week. still, it has taken here months to find that job. i dont know the pay, sorry.

it is so fustrating, this lack of job opportunities. i didnt expect a job to fall into my lap, but i did not expect to find it so hard. it is so demoralising and makes you feel like crap.

i applied for everything and anything, and am still applying now. sorry, i cant offer any words of wisdom on this, just words of 'keep going, thats all we can do'. fingers crossed. the 2 day a week job i now have (casual), has come from me dropping off my resume at the local airport when we first got here in august. they contacted me a couple of weeks ago and asked me to call in for an interview. but, 2 days a week isnt enough financially. we need more.

i have sent you some good luck karma, hope it helps. fingers crossed.
xx
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

I know exactly what you mean. I applied for over 50 jobs when we landed here. Most of them I didn't hear back from, the few that I did were either very poorly paid or stupid hours. I eventually applied for a job in Woolies. I had the interview (which was hilariously way over the top! ) and when I refused to work on a Saturday (my husbands day off) but I could work every other day of the week, they said "No thanks" and that was that! I felt like yelling at the woman "I used to be an accounts executive ffs! And I was prepared to stack your bloody shelves for a pittance....your loss!!!"

I gave up looking in the end. I go to uni instead. Keeps me busy

Good luck to you in your search.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:19 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
I know exactly what you mean. I applied for over 50 jobs when we landed here. Most of them I didn't hear back from, the few that I did were either very poorly paid or stupid hours. I eventually applied for a job in Woolies. I had the interview (which was hilariously way over the top! ) and when I refused to work on a Saturday (my husbands day off) but I could work every other day of the week, they said "No thanks" and that was that! I felt like yelling at the woman "I used to be an accounts executive ffs! And I was prepared to stack your bloody shelves for a pittance....your loss!!!"

I gave up looking in the end. I go to uni instead. Keeps me busy

Good luck to you in your search.
lol.....i am on the coles job website. i am now in the "coles group talent pool", and am currently awaiting further instructions from them, when a suitable position arises
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:09 am
visa granted 16/5/06

soonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond reputesoonbethere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Dont really know you or your situation, but, have you ever thought about setting your sights a little higher, and perhaps, applying for a job that maybe you could 'grow' into? After you have 'sold' yourself at the IV of course!
Fluffy, thanks for the vote of confidence, i am beginning to think the opposite to that, maybe i am looking a positions that are beyond me.

And to TraceyW, I can just see myself in your shoes at Woolies, i went for an interview last week at the local school for a 'catering managers' job, there is virtually no cooking involved, just bagging pies etc, making some sandwiches and the usual basic food stuffs, i went in wanting to make an impression, i want to make a difference to school meals here, i have a passion (like jamie o!!) wanting to get wholesome food in the kiddies bellies, i think there is a real market for it here, anyhow, i was interviewed by 4 !!!! people, 2 off the parents committee, the current manager, and the principle of the school. What a farce!! i could have done the job on my head, 17 yrs experience of cooking from huge functions to industrial catering. The questions they asked were all written down, none of them looked at me when they asked me in turn their questions, and i answered them all straight away, with no problem. I was asked if i had any questions at the end, and i asked the salary. To which the current manageress said, oh well i never did it for the money (WTF!!!) again $15.odd per hour at a 27 hr week, and no pay in the hols because its classed as casual..... what a fiasco. And the best of it is i wasn't even successful!!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:48 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked if i had any questions at the end, and i asked the salary. To which the current manageress said, oh well i never did it for the money (WTF!!!) again $15.odd per hour at a 27 hr week, and no pay in the hols because its classed as casual..... what a fiasco. And the best of it is i wasn't even successful!!!
What "salary" do you expect a school canteen to pay?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:57 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=TraceyW;4553890]I know exactly what you mean. I applied for over 50 jobs when we landed here. Most of them I didn't hear back from, the few that I did were either very poorly paid or stupid hours. I eventually applied for a job in Woolies. I had the interview (which was hilariously way over the top! ) and when I refused to work on a Saturday (my husbands day off) but I could work every other day of the week, they said "No thanks" and that was that! I felt like yelling at the woman "I used to be an accounts executive ffs! And I was prepared to stack your bloody shelves for a pittance....your loss!!!"

QUOTE]

As they work on a 7 day rotating roster, why should you have expected to only be able to work on the days you wanted? It would have been made positively clear to you in the job description when you applied for the position. IMO, from your attitude, you thought the job was beneath you and would hve probably quit before Saturday anyhow. As for not hearing back from many applications, most employeres usually only respond to those that they consider that fulfils the criteria that was set out.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:37 am
Account Closed

gigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura aboutgigi100 has a spectacular aura about

Hello The Bloke
Well you are obviously a man hey. Well let me put it to you that if you cant get a flexible job that fits round the kids etc especially at a place where they work til midnight, well us mothers should perhaps just stay at home and sponge off the government then?
I find it difficult to believe that when Tracey said she couldnt work Sat but could work the Sunday and every other day that her hours could not be accommodated. Surely there are workers that would prefer to work til midnight during the week and not have to work a Saturday for example. They are pretty unflexible and cannot relate to the real lives of applicants. People have to pay child care during the week and isnt it a bit mean of you to suggest also that Tracey cannot at least spend 1 day with her hubby? There are a lot of people who need flexibility and cannot work certain hours. Your comments about how much a school cook should be paid are also uncalled for and i would hope that most schools would pay slightly more for a good cook. If you worked out how much $15 per hour for 27 hours was over the year and also not paid for holdays then she is certainly probably better off sponging from gov. Is that what you would prefer?
Anyway you made me a bit angry with your attitude. All i hope is that you are never in a situation where flexibility is needed as i am sure if you were your attitude might change:curse:
Old Mar 24th 2007, 6:48 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=The Bloke;4554690]
Originally Posted by TraceyW

QUOTE]

As they work on a 7 day rotating roster, why should you have expected to only be able to work on the days you wanted? It would have been made positively clear to you in the job description when you applied for the position. IMO, from your attitude, you thought the job was beneath you and would hve probably quit before Saturday anyhow. As for not hearing back from many applications, most employeres usually only respond to those that they consider that fulfils the criteria that was set out.

Aaaahhh The Bloke. What an arrogant and condescending attitude you have. Right back at ya babe....you're an Australian man. Says it all really.

I would've thought, after the crap your wife has had to put up with here, you would have half a brain that understood just how difficult things can be.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:02 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

just wanted to say that if money is that much of an issue here, surely $15 + an hour is better than the nothing that your getting at the mo???

and before you all jump on me, i'm english not aussie, and have applied for 8 jobs, had responses from them all, one interview, awaiting the outcome! and am in consideration for 2 more!

But perhaps i fitted their selection critieria that they required!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:41 am
Never going back

Originally Posted by alan and sam
just wanted to say that if money is that much of an issue here, surely $15 + an hour is better than the nothing that your getting at the mo???

and before you all jump on me, i'm english not aussie, and have applied for 8 jobs, had responses from them all, one interview, awaiting the outcome! and am in consideration for 2 more!

But perhaps i fitted their selection critieria that they required!
getting a job at $15 and hour would be a bonus. congratulations on the applying for 8 jobs and having responses from them all. i have applied for jobs numbering 3 figures, had replies back numbering about 20, and had about 8 interviews. i have well surpassed the criteria on about 98% of the jobs i have applied for, as i am not afraid of applying for jobs that are beneath my capabilities......................but needs must. my sister made a comment to me this week, i cant see you helping old folk out in their homes, she says, cleaning them etc. i am willing to do what is necessary to obtain some employment, but it just isnt happeninga. maybe you are lucky, maybe i am unlucky, but it aint happening here, even though i am an astute person with qualifications and give my employers 110%, have had 4 jobs in nearly 25 years, and have excellent references.

by the way, are you alan or sam?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Finding school hours jobs here is NOT easy. Scan the part time job ads, most will say must be available 7 days a week, and they dont say it but its usually at the employers whim, if and when they want you. This does not just apply to unskilled, we know plenty of nurses, teachers, etc, who all get called in at 10 minutes notice, and 3 kids or not! you are expected to be there, say no a few times and they simply get someone else. Dont think men are exempt either, plenty of men employed casual too.

There is very little understanding of women needing school hours jobs, you want a job you work when the boss says so. A lot of employers would find it laughable if YOU suggested the hours, being employed if and when 24/7 is considered quite normal here.

I'll give you an example a friend of ours is a teachers aide, she juggles 2 schools, she has 3 kids, shes never had a rota, its always on call, usually around 8.15, for a 8.35 start however she does not find it unusual or ridiculous, shes an aussie and just accepts thats the way it is, never been any different so why should she question it, she probably thinks I'm the mad one for seeing a problem with it. Anyway every day, she gets up and gets ready just in case they call, she never plans anything in case they call, they had all sorts of hassles with childcare as you book it on a regular basis not casual, so they sold their house and moved right next to the school, they dont want to live there but if whe wants to keep the jobs thats what she had to do, I personally consider that a hell of a sacrifice for around $300 a week which is the average she says it works out to.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:01 am
We Have Arrived!

Jodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud ofJodie n' Mark has much to be proud of

Just a thought soon be there have you thought about setting yourself up in business? Sounds like with your catering skills you could set yourself up in any number of businesses from sandwich van (do they have them in oz? - you could serve healthy fresh boxed salads?) to catering for large functions weddings, business meetings etc? With this you could work around your own hours and kitchen hence looking after the kids and perhaps emplying another unfortunate brit to drive the van? Applications on an email to .....

Good luck in whatever you decide to do - I am sure the job you want is round the corner.

Jodie

PS Karma sent

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.