Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

another update from canberra.

another update from canberra.

Old Oct 30th 2004, 5:51 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default another update from canberra.

Hi folks. I just thought i'd give you another update from canberra this afternoon. It's been a while since my last confession so i thought it was about time.

Things are coming to a head over here for me now and i'm having to sit down and do some serious thinking.... the brain can't take it cap'n!

It's mainly revolving around work and whether i want to run my own business (required investment money from me) or whether i want to work for someone else nice and relatively safe). I'm not sure i want all the hassel and agro that goes with running a business, not to mention the risk involved. I have enough money to last me 6 months by which time i need to be earning a living or looking for a job anyway. It's hard to explain without giving all the facts which i'm not going to do (can't be arsed to be honest). BUT if i continue with the company thing i'd need to work my bollards off for 6 months in the hope it will all work out. I came to australia to improve my life, i've always worked hard and long hours and was hoping to get away from that, or at least get to 'normal' hours. I never seem to have time for friends and when i do meet someone the relationship tends to suffer... this i'd always said i wasn't going to let happen again.

well enough for now that's not why i came here. as you can imagine, my thoughts are never far away from the future and all those what if's that come to mind. SO i thought it was time to get on the bike and explore again. By the way this is the first full weekend off i've had since i got here 6 weeks ago. It just struck me that now i'm not working i can see what i miss about the UK. i have nothing here cept the bike.

Well i don't know if any of you heard on the news that the mount stromlo observatory is going to be rebuilt after it was lost in the bush fires a few years back. They had an open day today (including bbq ) and was showing the public round the place for the first time since it burnt down.

Having visited the place before the fires i was quite disappointed when i heard it had been destroyed so felt that a ride up there was called for to see for myself what the place was like now.

it was quite a shock to see. Driving up the twisty road to the observatory when i was first there was like driving through a jungle. the trees were thick and you could hardly see the view from the mountain until you got to the top. When you finally got there all you could see were trees and all you could hear were birds calling. Now though it's like driving up the side of a mountain (i know it is literally) but all the trees have gone with the exception of a few burnt stumps here and there. don't get me wrong it's not all doom and gloom, things are growing back.

Seeing the telescope domes, when i did finally get to the top, either gone altogether or just burnt to a crisp was a complete change to what i saw before. there's practically nothing left of the old telescopes apart from the concrete foundations. They've probably been removed as you'd assume there would be something left if only a big lump of metal. The view from the top really brought it all home as to what had happened up there. all the trees have now gone as far as you can see, well apart from the piles of burnt logs still left behind. The view still takes your breath away, even if it doesn't look like it once did.

anyway, having had a quick bite to eat i left the place, got back on my bike as they say, and headed further out away from canberra. I still can't believe how little traffic there is out there, however i did actually get to overtake a car today! Some of the roads really scare the bejeesus out of this lad from lincolnshire. you go round bends in the road only to see that there isn't anything stopping you plummiting down hundreds of feet in to the valley below, well apart from a few wooden posts (works well with bikes) and trees! It certainly makes you keep your speed down to a controlled lever if nothing else. Certainly a great country for riding around on a bike.

I did a few of those, 'umm wonder what's up there' detours today and found some REALLY twisty little roads. i eventually made my way back to canberra but as the day was still young and all that i thought bugger it. i turned the bike around and headed back the way i'd came,... another 50kms to go before i have to start and think again.

so i'm now say here, still in my bike suit (well pants and boots anyway). Throwing that big beemer around takes more effort than you realise while you're on it. sat here now i can feel my sides and back stiffening up, and my legs are aching already! i'm gonna be stiff tomorrow.

anyway, i'm running out of crap to say so i shall leave it here for now.

just a quick message to kristine if you're out there, so far the pubs are...erm.. ok. passable. they get better the more drinks you have. just don't be tempted to put any money in those bloomin slot machines! they're a rip off! And just to let you know i still haven't found a pub you don't have to sign in to in order to get through the door. I know they're out there, i just need to find them.

so that's all folks. here a few pics to keep you amused.

Leigh
Old Oct 30th 2004, 6:00 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: another update from canberra.

..oh yeah and here's the pics.

as you can see we had a bit of cloud today.
Attached Thumbnails another update from canberra.-strom1.jpg   another update from canberra.-strom2.jpg   another update from canberra.-strom3.jpg   another update from canberra.-stromlo.jpg  
Old Oct 30th 2004, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

lindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the roughlindseyden is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that Leigh

It's great to hear how you're getting on, keep it coming and good luck on whatever you decide re employed or self employed.

Lindsey
xx
Old Oct 30th 2004, 8:41 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Brother burned out in those fires.

Now if the forest had been clever trees (eucalypts) instead of dumb exotic trees (pinus radiata) the forest would be re-sprouting by now.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 8:58 am
sula

Hi Scutter,
Thanks for the update. You should be warned that Canberra is going to be invaded by British social workers in The New Year! :scared: There are quite a few of us who have been offered jobs with the Dept of Families. We might make the roads a bit busier!

Take care and keep the updates coming!

Sula

Old Oct 30th 2004, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant futureKristine has a brilliant future

Thank you for the info on watering holes (though I'm sure the lure of beer tempted you)!! Anyway the way I feel today - I'm never drinking again!!!

Sounds like you and your bike are having quite an adventure.

At least you had been to Canberra before you moved out - the only images I have are from your pics! Please keep them coming!! (and well if you happen to pass a bar, with your camera - a wee picture could be planted in my mind of where I will probably spend my friday nights.ha)

Cheers mate
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:06 pm
life begins again...

cheers y'all!

Well for all those on their way you've got nothing to worry about. so far i can't fault the place. it's dead easy to get around and the people so far have been fine. Well apart from the odd grumpy teeny in coles that is.... you get those all over though so dont let that put you off.

Hey if there's so many of you coming that means we'll be able to have a canberra get together soon! So far there's only been me, although i do attend everyone of them.

...and those canberra drivers wont know what hit them, they'll have someone to follow and show them how to drive from now on!

anyway, got a day of cleaning, tidying and sorting today. my junk SHOULD be arriving this next week although i've not heard a peep from shipping coming this end yet, well not since i paid them.....

well as for work, i think i'm pretty much settled on looking for a job or retraining as something else. I did a lot of head banging last night (which didn't help so i turned the music down a bit) and i think it's for the best. i could be turning down a lot of cash long term but i need it now not in 3 years. I saw a cool job that would be just right for me. it's in manly NSW, a bit of a trek for an interview though so i haven't decided to apply or not yet. It's for a print and repro type person in the internal print department for NSW Police. $35 - 45K, which i presume wont go far in sydney. Well i might just stick my CV in and see what happens.

well i hope you all have a great sunday when you wake, depending on which side you're on at the moment. But just to cheer you all up here's what you've got to look forward to when you get here. All you need is the sound of the parrots and other weird birds flying around and you could be in canberra now! lol ok maybe not.

take care!
Attached Thumbnails another update from canberra.-sky.jpg  

Last edited by scutterUK; Oct 30th 2004 at 11:09 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:14 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scutterUK
Hi folks. I just thought i'd give you another update from canberra this afternoon. It's been a while since my last confession so i thought it was about time.
Leigh
Thanks Leigh, what a fascinating post - hope all works out with the thinking process re work/life balance! Good luck, whatever you decide.

I'd heard about the Mt Stromlo fire. It must have been quite gut-wrenching to go back there and see it again, all destroyed .

There's a web site at http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/news/media...ase_041024.php

Am hoping they will get on with the reconstruction soon - apart from anything else, it's on my list of places to visit! You may also enjoy a trip to the Parkes Observatory NSW; see http://www.parkes.atnf.csiro.au/ I'm very keen to go there, but you can only get up on the dish itself about once a year, so may wait for that...

Hope you continue to enjoy Canberra!
Cheers,
Anya.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:18 pm
life begins again...

Originally Posted by Kristine
Thank you for the info on watering holes (though I'm sure the lure of beer tempted you)!! Anyway the way I feel today - I'm never drinking again!!!

Sounds like you and your bike are having quite an adventure.

At least you had been to Canberra before you moved out - the only images I have are from your pics! Please keep them coming!! (and well if you happen to pass a bar, with your camera - a wee picture could be planted in my mind of where I will probably spend my friday nights.ha)

Cheers mate
don't worry it wasn't the beer that tempted me (they said i'd meet a sheila there, but no matter who i asked they wasn't anyone called sheila,... *groans from the back*). beer over here seems to have a different meaning to back home. i keep telling em 'it's lager! not beer' but they wont have it. i think the 'bitter' in VB is a bit of an over statement too! ah well at least they sell the good stuff in the shops, it's just expensive!.. although i'm still looking for a supplier of caffrey's ready for christmas.

oh by the way, i'm taking a ride down the coast on christmas day! Always wanted to do something different than the usual family get together. can't get better than that in my mind. vroom vroom!

anyway, if i ever find myself in a pub with a camera, i'll send you a pic of 2.

take care, hope you're head sorts itself out.

leigh
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:25 pm
life begins again...

cheers for the links anya!

It was a bit of a heart breaker when i first arrived, but then i got talking to a few of the people who work there and they were all so positive about the sites future. Also reading some of the gumph you get it seems they're well on the way to a rebuild. One of the projects that was destroyed in the fire is almost complete and will be 'bolted' on to a telescope in hawaii (spelling) after christmas. It should have been in place here but due to the loss of the telescopes they've had to move it to hawaii, which is good for them as it will be on a bigger scope! (sorry not very technical in that department so i couldn't tell you what the thing did! hehe)

Having had a chance to ride around a bit now there are quite a few sites around camberra along the same lines. i saw a few places yesterday with satellite dishes and small telescopes dotted around. there's also the deep space tracking station just up the road from stromlo as well. i was going to call in on my way past but thought i'd save that for another day. it was a brilliant visit last time i went. The ride i was on a few weeks back ended up at the site of an old observatory/tracking station type place. It was too hot to stop though so i just turned round and kept riding. i will go back one day though and have a good look around.

anyway i shall keep you posted!
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:28 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

change of career? - so what happened to the helicopter pilot lessons???
and there was me, thinking i could admire you in a pilots uniform......

eyup chuck......its well grim ere in yorkshire......very cold, foggy (not carl) and veeeeeeeeeeery wintery. arentcha glad you aint here?

cya !!!

sue
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:35 pm
life begins again...

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
change of career? - so what happened to the helicopter pilot lessons???
and there was me, thinking i could admire you in a pilots uniform......

eyup chuck......its well grim ere in yorkshire......very cold, foggy (not carl) and veeeeeeeeeeery wintery. arentcha glad you aint here?

cya !!!

sue

well, funny you should mention that! BUT! i was thinking along those lines, maybe even joining one of the forces. Not sure about flying helicopters though, might be out of my league (read qualifications). but where there's a will there's a way!! (oggy oggy oggy) But they do apprentice schemes which i'm sure i'll be qualified to do one of them! it's still early days yet but who knows.

YES i'm glad i'm in sunny canberra this morning instead of crappy old donny. still i wouldn't mind getting back to work though.

maybe it'll help with sheila.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:41 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

maybe it'll help with sheila.

just watch out for any more steak girls!!!!

seeems you have made the right decision....the investment they wanted sounded well OTT, but i dont know how your business works so didnt like to say!
but, good luck with whatever you decide........and i sure can see ya in that uniform.....
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:54 pm
life begins again...

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
just watch out for any more steak girls!!!!

seeems you have made the right decision....the investment they wanted sounded well OTT, but i dont know how your business works so didnt like to say!
but, good luck with whatever you decide........and i sure can see ya in that uniform.....

steaks girls.. lol. yeah well what can i say.... i tend to fall for the ones who are either married, nuts,.. or just lie through their teeth (or any combination of the three).

all i need to do is find a job where i can tie in riding bikes and getting paid for it. I think i'm too old to be the next foggy so racing is out of the question. Any suggestions?

Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:34 am

all i need to do is find a job where i can tie in riding bikes and getting paid for it. I think i'm too old to be the next foggy so racing is out of the question. Any suggestions?

keep telling ya that strip-o-grams are the way to go!!!

have you thought about trying teaching? or joining the police force? (I wouldnt mind that now, but im too old!!!)

the world is your oyster......apparently......and you are still only a young whippersnapper!!!

sue

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.