Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another shipping question...sorry!!

Wikiposts

Another shipping question...sorry!!

Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:19 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another shipping question...sorry!!

Im sorry to bring up shippers once again, but I have a question!!

If you are quoted for a 20ft container I thought that it was yours to fill as you wish!
Am I wrong?
We have approx 810cuft of stuff, a container is approx 1050cuft, so in my estimations theres a little bit of room to play with! So if I wanted to pack in a bit more stuff, surely it shouldnt make a difference to the quote, as long as I dont go over the 1050cuft. Or does it?

Any ideas?
Old Sep 29th 2003, 12:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We are having a 40 foot, but our shippers quoted on square footage, so i think it would cost us extra. Think it depends who you are with, would be interested to know the answer. Have you rung them to ask?
Old Sep 29th 2003, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

Kenand Nel is an unknown quantity at this point

If Mr Mover was not "Gone Fishin" I am sure he would reply.

You pay to ship the container, 20 foot or 40 foot. If you wish to ship it half full then you are paying to ship fresh air from the UK to Oz.

FILL IT UP!!

Ken
Old Sep 29th 2003, 2:20 am
happy bunny!!

Originally posted by Kenand Nel
If Mr Mover was not "Gone Fishin" I am sure he would reply.

You pay to ship the container, 20 foot or 40 foot. If you wish to ship it half full then you are paying to ship fresh air from the UK to Oz.

FILL IT UP!!

Ken

Well thats what I thought, but the shippers said that if I wanted to add additional items it would increase the volume and therefore the price.
I just wondered what was happening with everyone else or if Im being taken for a ride!! I dont wanna cause trouble if its the norm across the board.
I think I am already in the bad books for bartering with the original quote and getting them to drop £300!!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 2:28 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it would depend on whether you've been quoted for sole use of a container or groupage. If groupage then your volume will make a difference. If it's sole use then you should be able to take whatever you like up to the max volume of the container. i'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Our quotes said "based on goods not exceeding xxxx cu metres"
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:01 am
happy bunny!!

Originally posted by ohsohopeful
I guess it would depend on whether you've been quoted for sole use of a container or groupage. If groupage then your volume will make a difference. If it's sole use then you should be able to take whatever you like up to the max volume of the container. i'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Our quotes said "based on goods not exceeding xxxx cu metres"

Hi

Exact words on our quote is 'Based upon 810cuft via sole use 1x20ft container'
Theres no 'not exceeding 810 cuft' in that!

Its hard to know what that really means!! It is sole use but it seems they have stated the volume in a way that, thats all the space we are getting!!
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

we have just done the pick your movers lottery and have picked pss as they were 500 quid cheeper than everyone else, but, they have also estimated our volume at less than everyone else. They estamated 750 cuft and quoted for a 850cuft refer container, i said no i want a 1050cuft container so they have quoted me for that and there is no mention of extra charge if i put more than 750cuft in it, so if they charge more then i'll be seriously pissed. Movers coming 3rd and 4th of november OMG :scared:

Lynn
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

We were confused by this as well and there seems no way round it.

We are now going groupage as we only have 700cubic ft. We were told that if we had a sole container they would charge us for 700cubic ft. If we decided to fill the other 300ft we would still pay more for the packing and handling charges. Every company we had quote, told us the same.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 3:51 am
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another shipping question...sorry!!

Originally posted by teresa.c
Im sorry to bring up shippers once again, but I have a question!!

If you are quoted for a 20ft container I thought that it was yours to fill as you wish!
Am I wrong?
We have approx 810cuft of stuff, a container is approx 1050cuft, so in my estimations theres a little bit of room to play with! So if I wanted to pack in a bit more stuff, surely it shouldnt make a difference to the quote, as long as I dont go over the 1050cuft. Or does it?

Any ideas?
Surely it will make a difference to the quote as they will be taking longer to pack and unpack. As they insist on doing this themselves in international removals this is surely going to make quite a difference.

Rob
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
We have been told by Robinsons that although we have sole usage in our container (720cuft of use quoted) we can use the rest but we will be charged for packing and unpacking the extra items.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

The following wording is taken directly from my quote from PSS

The estimated loading capacity of one 40` General purpose container is 2150 cubic feet. Should you wish to add to your volume of 1500 cubic feet the additional charge to cover packing and destination charges would be £2.00 per cubic foot( subject to the total volume not exceeding one 40` general purpose container load)
Old Sep 29th 2003, 7:40 am
happy bunny!!

Originally posted by suffolkdiva
We were confused by this as well and there seems no way round it.

We are now going groupage as we only have 700cubic ft. We were told that if we had a sole container they would charge us for 700cubic ft. If we decided to fill the other 300ft we would still pay more for the packing and handling charges. Every company we had quote, told us the same.
Thanks everyone for the advice. Seems this is normal practice and I can understand why! All that packing and loading is thirsty work!! Need a few extra squids for the beer!!

I can now go ahead and sort all the junk properly!!

Cheers!!