Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another shipping question.....

Another shipping question.....

Old May 11th 2007, 1:50 pm
skye

Default Another shipping question.....

We have just had someone round to quote for a 20 foot container and was told we could not take the following:-
Washing machine
Hoover
Feather quilts/pillows
Bike
Pets stuff
Freezers

I know about wicker etc but thought we could take the above........

Old May 11th 2007, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another shipping question.....

Originally Posted by skye
We have just had someone round to quote for a 20 foot container and was told we could not take the following:-
Washing machine
Hoover
Feather quilts/pillows
Bike
Pets stuff
Freezers

Get a second opinion.

Washers don't really travel well unless they are bolted.

Hoovers need to be thoroughly cleaned and unless it's a Dyson or similar don't bother you can pick one up for $100, and if you have a house with tiles will probably sweep mostly.

Feather's I don't think are allowed (but check with AQIS)

Bike, again needs a really good clean and are also pretty cheap here.

Pet's stuff - no idea

Freezers, don't bother. They aren't really built for an Aussie summer and there's something to do with the gases but I can't remember what it was.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

chrissie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are taking our Fridge freezer. Its new and therefor ok to take. If its a few years old I wouldnt bother, but a couple of years will be ok.
Also taking quilts and cushions. Some are feather and the shippers have said theres no problem. Its amazing how much these things add up to when you think about replacing them. The cushions in my lounge cost £200 alone. Taking bikes too.
Not washing machine but tumble dryer.

We are using Anglo Pacific and they so far have been great.
www.anglopacific.co.uk

Hope this helps
Chrissie
Old May 11th 2007, 5:40 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Washing machine
Hoover
Feather quilts/pillows
Bike
Pets stuff
Freezers

Hiya.....
We are taking our bikes, and i believe the feather thing is to do with untreated feathers.

I see your from the Midlands, have you tried Atlantis for a quote?? Based in Stirchley, Birmingham. Brilliant so far Would you like the tel no? C x
Old May 11th 2007, 7:26 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Washing machine
Hoover
Feather quilts/pillows
Bike
Pets stuff
Freezers

I stripped our Dyson down and cleaned it thoroughly. No problems at all taking it. Apparently Dyson's are pricey in Oz so def worth the effort.

We left our washing machine as it was really old and we also left our fridge freezer as I'd live a big Aussie one when we move.

We brought all our pet stuff to our UK rental with us so it will be binned when the cats fly out and we'll get new stuff.

hth

Gill
Old May 11th 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

We brought our hoover, some pet things (clean things, old/dirty stuff we chucked out) our washer and tumble drier - altho the washer was a bit damaged when it got here but we fixed it - and lots of duvets and pillows, which are not feather but were not checked. I think you'd be fine though as they would be treated, it's not like you've just pulled the feathers off a bird!
We also brought two bikes, which we cleaned but they weren't spotless - got through no problems though.

I'd definitely ask again! And if they won't budge then talk to someone else, as those people don't know what they're talking about.
Old May 13th 2007, 4:05 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chrissie,

Can I ask how much migrate global quoted you, had them round on friday so are waiting for my quote, would like to see how they compare. How much stuff are you shipping?

Thanks

Carmel
Old May 14th 2007, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

chrissie181 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are using Anglo pacific. They are coming a week today to start packing us up. They are packing everything for us. We have a 40ft container so as you can see by that, we are taking everything thats not bolted down. Also we have a grand Piano, so thats taking up a bit of room. Its costing us £10,000.
Its worth taking as much as possible as replacing a lot of your house things is more expensive. Iv added up the cost of everything we are taking,Not including the piano, and what it would cost to buy new. £50,000