Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another shark attack!

Another shark attack!

Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:54 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another shark attack!

Perth this time:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...2-1245,00.html

G :scared:
Old Jan 15th 2006, 8:58 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Another shark attack!

But they are back swimming at Amity Point.
Photos are in the local paper.

However, they are considering trying to stop the local fishermen throwing the cast off fish scraps in the water there. They think it draws the sharks in.

http://www.thesundaymail.news.com.au...55E902,00.html

Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Is that where the Brisbane attack was?

G
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:02 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Is that where the Brisbane attack was?

G
Yes.

I've added the link to my first post.

a Sunday Mail investigation revealed bloodied fish remains were thrown into the water moments before the deadly attack.

Fishermen were seen casting buckets of burley into the ocean nearby – while a young boy thrashed a fish carcass in the water just before the attack.
But it is a fishing area, and there is an enclosed swimming area there that wasn't used.

Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:04 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Another shark attack!

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It is just so spooky that this attack took place somewhere called Amity!!!! :scared:

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 15th 2006, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

A dead whale was washed up on Rottnest Island, they haven't covered it up or buried it and there are concerns the blood will attract sharks from all over to the area. I wouldn't want to swim on Rottnest at the moment.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:04 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
It is just so spooky that this attack took place somewhere called Amity!!!! :scared:

Cheers

Buzzy
Chief of police Martin Brody said it's just a coincidence
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:14 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

commercial shark repellant ...whats one of those?
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:30 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually that story has a number of interesting points.

1. The diver was carring a spear gun ? Thats unusual to say the least unless your actually hunting underwater and frankly thats more than a bit stupid if its an area patrolled by sharks.

2. He was solo diving it seems at the time of the attack. Again a bit odd.

3. Another diver was using a commercial shark repellant. These are usually electromagnetic shark pods which generate an electrical field around the diver and are an expensive and techie bit of kit. Its not something cheap that you'd just go out and have without a purpose really unless you were made of money.
http://www.sharkshield.com/detail.php?Product=4

I say interesting, for although I would wish nobody any harm underwater, it does seem more than a little odd and I wonder what the divers were actually up to at the time.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 1:37 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

I say interesting, for although I would wish nobody any harm underwater, it does seem more than a little odd and I wonder what the divers were actually up to at the time.

something fishy perhaps
Old Jan 15th 2006, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Actually that story has a number of interesting points.

1. The diver was carring a spear gun ? Thats unusual to say the least unless your actually hunting underwater and frankly thats more than a bit stupid if its an area patrolled by sharks.

2. He was solo diving it seems at the time of the attack. Again a bit odd.

3. Another diver was using a commercial shark repellant. These are usually electromagnetic shark pods which generate an electrical field around the diver and are an expensive and techie bit of kit. Its not something cheap that you'd just go out and have without a purpose really unless you were made of money.
http://www.sharkshield.com/detail.php?Product=4

i remember a similar incident up in FNQ at the tail end of last year. diver was spear fishing and chumming underwater.... and they wondered why he was attacked by a shark!!!!

again i have to say... if you're gonna swim in the same area as the big fishes you gotta take what's coming to you!!!
Old Jan 15th 2006, 4:48 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoSemite
again i have to say... if you're gonna swim in the same area as the big fishes you gotta take what's coming to you!!!

dead right
you wouldnt climb into the lions den with a pile of steak in your hand would you
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:22 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by steve`o
dead right
you wouldnt climb into the lions den with a pile of steak in your hand would you

Who wouldn't.

http://xtramsn.co.nz/news/0,,11964-5240899,00.html
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:34 pm
Worongary

Originally Posted by Bordy

perhaps there all a bit mad south of the equator
Old Jan 15th 2006, 5:47 pm
Banned

Lewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond reputeLewis Lapthorn has a reputation beyond repute

It was a white pointer that bit Ken Crew's leg off and killed the poor bastard in 2000. Happened in the same waters (Cottlesloe).

He wasn't diving with a spear gun, and I doubt a whale had been washed up on Rottnest at the time.

When the surfer dude Bradley whatsit was savagely ripped to pieces by two great whites off of Margaret River in 2004, everyone came out then:

- Very strange, great white's hunting in pairs
- Unusual for sharks to be hunting at that time of day
- etc.
- etc.

Despite how many times this bo!!ocks is spouted every time there's an attack, the simple fact remains - these are ferocious man eating beasts. This is proved year after year.

It's no good saying "we're in their territory, it's the 'risk' we take." Try telling that to the parents of the 7 year old boy bitten in half by a shark whilst playing in shallow water off the Florida Gulf Coast a few years back.

Man is master over beast. Where appropriate, there should be a cull, accompanied by review of protection - i.e. the barrels hanging baited hooks did the girl alot of favours at Amity Point didn't it. Anyone got her parents' number? We could ask how they feel about animal rights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.