Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another question from me (the new pest)

Another question from me (the new pest)

Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all
Default Another question from me (the new pest)

Moving to Brisbane. Please tell me that you dont have to do another driving test for a car. When we moved here from South Africa we had to.Sods law that the laws have changed since then and you dont have to now. I could own shares in the test places. I dont think I could go through it again.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another question from me (the new pest)

My sister had to do a theory one in the first three months she was there
lace x
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lacey21
My sister had to do a theory one in the first three months she was there
lace x
Thanks Lacey, I think I can handle that
Old Nov 10th 2005, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what she told me Lesley she was most naffed off lol
lace x good luck
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LesleyM
Moving to Brisbane. Please tell me that you dont have to do another driving test for a car. When we moved here from South Africa we had to.Sods law that the laws have changed since then and you dont have to now. I could own shares in the test places. I dont think I could go through it again.
just a theory test in Queensland
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thats what she told me Lesley she was most naffed off lol
lace x good luck
BTW We were looking at the redcliffe area as well. There is a possibilty we might move there too.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yipeee Redcliffe peopel rock lol lol
hugs Lace xxx

well my sis says so lol
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

There is just the theory test to do. The first half of it is all about give ways and you have to get at least 9 out of 10, then the second half is all about other stuff.......signs, parking etc and there are 20 questions and I think you have to get 18 out of 20 to pass.
Once you get here you can buy a book from the newsagent and just learn everything you need to know. If you fail, you can just go back the day after and do another, no need to book ahead like in UK
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

As a (new) pest you'll fit in just fine over here with all the other pests

WW

PS Park on the side of the road in the direction of the traffic.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replys and help. You're all GREAT !
Old Nov 11th 2005, 12:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LesleyM
The road rules book can be downloaded online from Qld transport's site , so there is no need to wait until you get here to buy the hard copy booklet from a newsagent or qld transport :

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...drive_yourkeys

The main page of Qld transport where you can go to the relevant links regarding licensing here: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/

With regards to you must get a licence within three months - this is for PR's and citizens. I don't know what type of visa you are coming out on, but if it is a temp visa etc - you can drive on your Uk licence and there is no need to get a qld licence after three months if you don't wish to do so.

If you are coming out here on a PR visa - you must get a Qld licence to legally drive here after three months.
Just thought I'd mention that, as some people reading this who are on business visas, and other such temp visa's etc may think they have to get a Qld licence too, and they don't - They can drive quite legally here with their Uk licences.

Also, you still can just take the theroy test only months and months after the three months have passed - it is just that to legally drive here( Pr's and citizens) after three months have expired you should have a qld licence

I do know this as I got my qld licence with just the theroy test only ( and was not made to do a practical as well like some people seem to think you must if you do not get your test within three months) after I'd been driving here on my Brit licence for years here,( and not just a few months) .Six or maybe 7 years I think it was when I decided to do the "right thing" for once and get my qld licence but I won't really go into that

Good luck , the info you need including the road rules are at the above queensland transport site

Last edited by Ceri; Nov 11th 2005 at 1:53 am.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for the booklet thing, it's on favourites lol

how old do you have to be to get your provisional licence there?

cheers Lace x
Old Nov 11th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the booklet thing, it's on favourites lol

how old do you have to be to get your provisional licence there?

cheers Lace x
I think that you take the theory test to be able to get your learners licence and that can be done at 161/2, but you can't take the practical till you are 17 and have had so many hours driving. I am sure someone else will be able to clarify this or put me straight.

Amanda
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:02 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

As Ceri said, you can take the theory test and receive your Qld licence well after the three months has transpired and no one at the testing office even questions why it took you so long.

However...and this is the important bit.....if you do not have the Qld driving licence then after 3 months your insurance is null and void

So .....if you have an accident after 3 months you will not be insured [even if you have full insurance] and if another driver is liable then the insurance companies will both argue it was your fault as you were not fit to be on the road [yep, that's their company AND yours...:scared: ]

I was one of the naughty ones. Couldn't find the time to do it [couldn't be arsed]......drove on a wing and a preyer but I didn't know about the insurance situation till Qld transport mentioned it