Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another "One Year on" Thread

Another "One Year on" Thread

Old May 3rd 2006, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another "One Year on" Thread

Hi all, I don't normally start threads, just observe in the background with an odd remark here n there.

Matt and I have been here a year now (from Bradford to Brisbane), although I've lived here before as a kid. So far, it couldn't have gone better! We worried so much about getting jobs in Oz when we were leaving the UK, we saved enough money to survive for 3 months. We were both employed within 3 weeks!

Within 6 months, we were house hunting, and a couple of months ago, we moved into our first home There was no way I thought we'd be this far ahead in our plans! Never though my first home would be a detached house on a good block of land, with a deck out the back!

Of course there are some things I prefer in the UK to here, but I've spent the last 11 years moving between the countries, and I've learnt to appreciate the best bits of both.

Good luck to all you applicants - hope to see your One Year On Threads next year And Happy Anniversary to the other One Year On-ners
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:30 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another "One Year on" Thread

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Hi all, I don't normally start threads, just observe in the background with an odd remark here n there.

Matt and I have been here a year now (from Bradford to Brisbane), although I've lived here before as a kid. So far, it couldn't have gone better! We worried so much about getting jobs in Oz when we were leaving the UK, we saved enough money to survive for 3 months. We were both employed within 3 weeks!

Within 6 months, we were house hunting, and a couple of months ago, we moved into our first home There was no way I thought we'd be this far ahead in our plans! Never though my first home would be a detached house on a good block of land, with a deck out the back!

Of course there are some things I prefer in the UK to here, but I've spent the last 11 years moving between the countries, and I've learnt to appreciate the best bits of both.

Good luck to all you applicants - hope to see your One Year On Threads next year And Happy Anniversary to the other One Year On-ners

good thread

nice to see so many of you enjoying it and really settling in

keep us all posted

jan xx
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

glad youre happy and everything working out for you
Old May 3rd 2006, 7:42 am
Shaz 'n' Phil

sharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to all

Hiya Matt and Jen,

Lovely to hear you are settling in well and that it hasnt taken long at all. Were also from Bradford, but just starting the whole process but I hope we settle in as well as you. Good luck for the future. Sharon & Phil
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

lol - you sound like me ... except we're still trying to sell up and get going Congrats on the first year, hope the next one's as good
Old May 3rd 2006, 8:23 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

hey there, how spooky we moved from bradford to brisbane too!!! good old yorkshire folk, there are one or two of us around, therefore if you fancy a get together or to talk about yorkshire pudding etc. you are more than welcome lol!!!
anyway nice thread, glad to hear you are getting everything together and sorted out, we are still trying to sort things out, biggest hurdle careers!!!!
anyway thats another thread in itself.
keep up the good work!!!
we couldnt imagine being anywhere else !!
regards
vb2

Old May 3rd 2006, 8:42 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2
hey there, how spooky we moved from bradford to brisbane too!!! good old yorkshire folk, there are one or two of us around, therefore if you fancy a get together or to talk about yorkshire pudding etc. you are more than welcome lol!!!
anyway nice thread, glad to hear you are getting everything together and sorted out, we are still trying to sort things out, biggest hurdle careers!!!!
anyway thats another thread in itself.
keep up the good work!!!
we couldnt imagine being anywhere else !!
regards
vb2
I think Brisbane will shortly become a far flung outpost of Yorkshire by the amount of us that are or have moved there lately
We should be there in October.................see you on the other side

Loz x
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:12 am
vb2

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of

yes definitely i met a lovely lady yesterday from bradford!!! its great!! we will take over the world lol!!
anyway when you come over give me a shout and we will hook up for coffee etc. its always nice having a friendly face during those first few months!!!
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by loz
I think Brisbane will shortly become a far flung outpost of Yorkshire by the amount of us that are or have moved there lately

Loz x
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're enjoying Australia. Long may it continue.

I also come from Bradford. I don't think they'll be anyone left here soon
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:18 am
vb2

hey!!!! how are you!!!
another bradfordian!!!!
told you we would take over the world lol!
sorry interrupting this thread - kinda do that a lot these days, not intentionally i must say!
we should all get together and really confuse the locals with the accent lol
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by WendyC
Glad you're enjoying Australia. Long may it continue.

I also come from Bradford. I don't think they'll be anyone left here soon
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vb2
hey!!!! how are you!!!
another bradfordian!!!!
told you we would take over the world lol!
sorry interrupting this thread - kinda do that a lot these days, not intentionally i must say!
we should all get together and really confuse the locals with the accent lol
regards
vb2

My hubby said he'll have all of South Australia talking Yorkshire before the end of the year
Old May 3rd 2006, 9:29 am
vb2

I am working on it!!!
my sons school thinks its hilarious!!!
they keep telling my son to say things just to listen to him, as he is very broad!!!
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by WendyC
My hubby said he'll have all of South Australia talking Yorkshire before the end of the year
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz

Loz x
I agree, there seems to be lots of people from Yorkshire.......I'm not from Bradford but down the road in Wakefield. We have been here about 15 months now and the time has passed so quickly.
Old May 6th 2006, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Aah, ahem, I've gotta say, I'm just an honourary Bradfordian. Moved there with Matt, who is the Yorkshireman. I'm actually a Lancashire Lass. But loved yorkshire anyway! We always had something derogatory to say to each other when passing the roses on the M62.

Thanks for all your posts!
Old May 6th 2006, 10:12 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done, great progress.

Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.