Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another one heading to Sydney next year - second time lucky! Hello and merry xmas all

Another one heading to Sydney next year - second time lucky! Hello and merry xmas all

Old Dec 24th 2006, 9:59 pm
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Another one heading to Sydney next year - second time lucky! Hello and merry xmas all

Hello everyone...a merry christmas to you all.
Just introducing myself. I emigrated to Sydney back in October 2005, and gave up after the worst loneliness and homesickness i have ever experienced and returned to London in May 2006.

Going to give it another go middle of next year and try to toughen up a bit. I am a ping-pong pom and not ashamed - if life always went to plan how dull would that be!

Single, and heading to Sydney to keen to make friends with anyone who might be heading the same way

Suzie B
Old Dec 26th 2006, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice
Default Re: Another one heading to Sydney next year - second time lucky! Hello and merry xmas all

Originally Posted by blowers
Just introducing myself. I emigrated to Sydney back in October 2005, and gave up after the worst loneliness and homesickness i have ever experienced and returned to London in May 2006.

Going to give it another go middle of next year and try to toughen up a bit. I am a ping-pong pom and not ashamed - if life always went to plan how dull would that be!

Single, and heading to Sydney to keen to make friends with anyone who might be heading the same way

Suzie B

Hi Suzi, When are you thinking of going back out?, i'm off to Sydney in a few weeks time. Where did you stay in Sydney, i've got some mates who live in the Coogee area.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another one heading to Sydney next year - second time lucky! Hello and merry xmas all

I live just up the hill from Coogee in Randwick, just far enough away from all the poms!

When are you coming back out Suzie?
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:26 am
SuzieB

blowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of lightblowers is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Tony

I am hoping May-June time. Am trying to transfer with work, and will give it a few months to see if that is likely to happen. If not, I'll quit. I figure the process will take till May at least. Seems far away, but time also seems to fly these days. I stayed in Bondi, and in hindsight I think it was a mistake. I do love the area for the coast and beaches etc, but Bondi itself is very transient and I think that didn't help. I still like the Eastern Suburbs though.
Good luck with your move - just a few weeks time? thats very exciting. January is great in Sydney - all the open air concerts etc. Let me know how it goes!

Originally Posted by tony_russell
Hi Suzi, When are you thinking of going back out?, i'm off to Sydney in a few weeks time. Where did you stay in Sydney, i've got some mates who live in the Coogee area.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 9:29 am
SuzieB

I think thats a great place to live actually. I was just saying to Tony, that I thought living in Bondi a mistake as it was so transient, but Randwick did seem a bit more of a permanent place. Thinking May-June time. Will try and transfer with work- and will give it till April to see if that looks likely to happen. And if not, will have to give my notice and just quit. Most of the people i know in Sydney live in the Inner-West- Balmain etc, but I would miss being so close to the coast I think.

Originally Posted by willkerr
I live just up the hill from Coogee in Randwick, just far enough away from all the poms!

Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:06 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Same. I live in Randwick also. If you fancy a beer. Give me a shout!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

tony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nicetony_russell is just really nice

Nice 1, A pint down the royal or the coach and horses or the good old CBH!
Yea Suzy i also remember Bondi being a bit poncey but Coogee was much more my scene, village atmosphere with the beach and the city 15mins on bus!
How come you've decided to come back out to Aus? i know when i've been away for a long time i've looked back with rose tinted glasses but within a few weeks of being back, reality sets in! London will always be my home and i love the place but i've decided on this as a 2 year plan and if i dont i'll regret it -possibly lol
Will and jock, how long you been in Randwick? great place, i used to work at Randwick racecourse many moons ago, the easiest job i ever had!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 10:59 am
SuzieB

I'm in London too and feel the same way about it - I think its a wonderful city, and I did miss it a lot in Oz. I applied for PR many moons ago, and moved to Sydney, but a combination of homesickness and crappy relationship situation pulled me back to the UK. Not unhappy here by any means, but I suppose Australia is unfinished business for me, and I do not feel i gave it a decent enough shot - 6 months is just not long enough . So like you really, I am thinking about a 2 year stint. Long enough to get my passport and to know whether or not I want to make it a permanent home. Quite a few of my closest pals in London have also moved overseas in the past year or so, so i also feel there is less to hold me here than previously. But i must not, must not, become one of these people who just pings and pongs back and forth endlessly!!! I do think that last time i came out, i had the rose coloured glasses on, most definitely. This time I'm a bit more realistic. I did the backpacker thing about 10 years ago or so, and when i emigrated - October 05, I think i was expecting the carefree lifestyle i had associated with backpacking, but it was never going to be like that - as i'm older now, have more responsibility at work etc, and its real life, I suppose, with all the ups and downs that brings.I think its really good to look at it as a 2 year plan. Last time, i was convinced i was going for ever, and it made it harder I think. You know i have been looking at your post below and thinking, CBH, what is that? that sounds familiar? and i've just remembered - dear o dear, I have some squiffy memories of that place

Yea Suzy i also remember Bondi being a bit poncey but Coogee was much more my scene, village atmosphere with the beach and the city 15mins on bus!
How come you've decided to come back out to Aus? i know when i've been away for a long time i've looked back with rose tinted glasses but within a few weeks of being back, reality sets in! London will always be my home and i love the place but i've decided on this as a 2 year plan and if i dont i'll regret it -possibly lol
Will and jock, how long you been in Randwick? great place, i used to work at Randwick racecourse many moons ago, the easiest job i ever had!
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jockstar
Same. I live in Randwick also. If you fancy a beer. Give me a shout!
Hey Jockstar, whereabouts in Randwick? I live down near the Spot with the Mrs.
Old Dec 27th 2006, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

I have to say I avoid the CBH like the plague! The Royal is my local and always good for a few beers!

I've been living in Randwick for a year now, been in Oz 18 months. We originally came out with a two year plan but we haven't done all the things we want to and we love it out here so think we might have to extend that plan! Managed to score some tickets for the races on New Years Day in the members enclosure!
Old Dec 28th 2006, 3:20 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blowers

Suzie B
Hi Suzie B,
There are a few ping pongers on this site, if you look in the discussion forums under 'moving back to the U.K' some people use that section too.
Glad you are giving it another go, I would live to regret it if I was in your shoes.
Good luck,
J x
Old Dec 28th 2006, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi Suzie, good for you. Nothing ventured (even twice) nothing gained. I hope it is second time lucky for you. Good luck and enjoy
Donna & Neil
Old Dec 28th 2006, 8:57 pm
Ooh my gout...

IndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to allIndigoFoot is a name known to all

Hi Suzie,

Wanted to wish you luck with your second journey. I've had friends stay in both Bondi and Coogee for a while, and must admit i prefer Coogee. As someone else said, much more of a village scene. My friends in Coogee joined in with local netball team to meet some locals which really helped too.
I too like the idea of living near the eastern beaches, but just not practical as i work west of the City. Hence looking at more community orientated burbs like Balmain.
Recently experienced the CBH myself... enough said ;-)

Best of luck.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:43 am
SuzieB

Default Re: Another one heading to Sydney next year - second time lucky! Hello and merry xmas

Thanks to everyone above for best wishes. A wonderful new year to you all.
Let us know how you get on Indigo Foot - I have friends in Balmain who simply love it there. I watched the NYE fireworks from there last year..aahhhhh will have to watch it on TV this year
Old Jan 2nd 2007, 4:23 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another one heading to Sydney next year - second time lucky! Hello and merry xmas

Hey Jockstar, whereabouts in Randwick? I live down near the Spot with the Mrs.
We come under Randwick but are practically Waverley. Can walk to the Robin Hood pub in less than 10 minutes. Queens Park is 2 minutes away.