Reload this Page >

Another Noob here

Another Noob here

Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

John Mc will become famous soon enoughJohn Mc will become famous soon enough
Post Another Noob here

Hello All,

I've been surfing this forum for a long time now, the amount of information is staggering . I've been considering whether to take the plunge and make a decision to take on the momentous task of applying for residency. I think I have finally come to the decision that Australia is the place I would love to live. I've downloaded the TRA application form and had a read through. It doesn't seem there is that much to it but from reading many posts regarding the amount of paperwork required I am probably wrong. I've sent an e-mail to an agent to hopefully get on the right track for getting myself in order to make the application.

Basically I'm a Mechanical Fitter (According to MODL list) with the apprenticeship, qualifications and 5 years post apprenticeship experience with one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. Which is nice This seems to stand me in good stead for applying I think, correct me if I'm wrong. I was hoping to find some vacancies on the internet with my current employer, who have a manufacturing factory just outside Melbourne, but I cannot find a single vacancy with the company. The company is GlaxoSmithKline, I've also looked on the company website which refers you to the local papers for vacancies.

I've been looking at jobs in different areas and it seems Melbourne is the place to be for my particular profession (Manufacturing Fitter). I've got a friend in Brisbane and another in Perth, who both tell me how great each place is. At the moment Melbourne is winning due to the work situation but I'm still a little undecided between Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

Moving over there will be myself, my wife and 2 children (one due in January 2006) and two dogs (is this a good idea).

I think that's enough droning on for now Hopefully you haven't fallen asleep and have managed to get this far

Any information, advice or just a welcome message will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

John
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:02 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Noob here

Welcome and good luck.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome John

I'm sure you'll learn lots here, and some of it will be useful too!!

Good luck with the persuit of your dreams!!
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the welcomes thus far, that was quick

Steve G, I've just read your thread about the TRA letter sorry to hear got knocked this time. Hope you can get it sorted soon.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by John Mc
Hello All,

I've been looking at jobs in different areas and it seems Melbourne is the place to be for my particular profession (Manufacturing Fitter). I've got a friend in Brisbane and another in Perth, who both tell me how great each place is. At the moment Melbourne is winning due to the work situation but I'm still a little undecided between Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth.

Kind Regards

John
John

I am in Perth and have been so for years, if you need any info from an independant person (someone who is not bias because there are not your mate so to speak) please just ask I will try to answer any questions for you. But Perth is a great place to live.

Maybe you need some guys on the site from Melbourne and Brisbane to help as well.

Hope this helps.

Kim
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kimi
John

I am in Perth and have been so for years, if you need any info from an independant person (someone who is not bias because there are not your mate so to speak) please just ask I will try to answer any questions for you. But Perth is a great place to live.

Maybe you need some guys on the site from Melbourne and Brisbane to help as well.

Hope this helps.

Kim
Thanks for the offer Kim, very much appreciated. As I've said in my first post, I'm a Mechanical Fitter in a pharmaceutical manufacturing factory. Whilst there are many jobs engineering wise in Perth, they mainly seem to be in the mining industry. Whilst I haven't got a problem with working in the mining industry, and at the end of the day a machine is a machine, I thought it would be easier to find a job in manufacturing or packaging. Since this is what I already do and have experience in. As part of my apprenticeship I did a lot of work for Shell, but that was over 5 years ago.

I basically want to come to Australia and be able to provide for my family and have an outdoor and family orientated lifestyle. I've got an idea of the wages I can expect to earn but I have no idea how far those wages go in everyday situations, ie Mortgages, food etc

As before any help is much appreciated.

Kind Regards

John
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:11 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John,
Just wanted to say welcome to you and your family
Julie
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:18 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John,

Just to say welcome to the forum!

Nicky
Old Oct 10th 2005, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

hello to you and a warm welcome to the forum.

as you've probably gathered, people are extremely friendly and helpful, so ask away.

debbie
Old Oct 10th 2005, 9:58 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hello John.

You are the first pharmaceutical worker I've come across on here.

Now what do you get working with spotless machinery ?
Headaches or free asprin?.......or maybe both

Welcome aboard.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 10:17 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Information:

99% of all hair used in Shaving Brushes originates from the Chinese Badger ... species: Meles Meles.

Advice:

Never p!ss into the wind (Confucius)

Welcome:

Howdie' ... You've made a great decision !

Three Legs

Originally Posted by John Mc
Hello All,

I've been surfing this forum for a long time now, the amount of information is staggering . I've been considering whether to take the plunge and make a decision to take on the momentous task of applying for residency. I think I have finally come to the decision that Australia is the place I would love to live. I've downloaded the TRA application form and had a read through. It doesn't seem there is that much to it but from reading many posts regarding the amount of paperwork required I am probably wrong. I've sent an e-mail to an agent to hopefully get on the right track for getting myself in order to make the application.

Basically I'm a Mechanical Fitter (According to MODL list) with the apprenticeship, qualifications and 5 years post apprenticeship experience with one of the largest pharmaceutical companies in the world. Which is nice This seems to stand me in good stead for applying I think, correct me if I'm wrong. I was hoping to find some vacancies on the internet with my current employer, who have a manufacturing factory just outside Melbourne, but I cannot find a single vacancy with the company. The company is GlaxoSmithKline, I've also looked on the company website which refers you to the local papers for vacancies.

Moving over there will be myself, my wife and 2 children (one due in January 2006) and two dogs (is this a good idea).

I think that's enough droning on for now Hopefully you haven't fallen asleep and have managed to get this far

Kind Regards

John
Old Oct 10th 2005, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bix
Hello John.

You are the first pharmaceutical worker I've come across on here.

Now what do you get working with spotless machinery ?
Headaches or free asprin?.......or maybe both

Welcome aboard.

Ooohhh does that make me spethial

Unfortunately the machines aren't spotless behind the gaurds But the working conditions are excellent, too easy and very boring doing 12 hour shifts when there's nothing to do.

I do get GSK products at very good prices

Thanks for the welcome.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Three Legs
Information:

99% of all hair used in Shaving Brushes originates from the Chinese Badger ... species: Meles Meles.

Advice:

Never p!ss into the wind (Confucius)

Welcome:

Howdie' ... You've made a great decision !

Three Legs

Thanks for the advice, information and welcome. I will have to remember not to p!ss into the wind
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John

This forums been a god send for me Hadnt a clue what I was doing before I found I (Some may say I still havent!)

Good luck
Hilaryx
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:48 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hilary6
Hadnt a clue what I was doing before I found it (Some may say I still havent!)
My mam told me never to disagree with a ladee