Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another money making racket....

Another money making racket....

Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

private benjamin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another money making racket....

God I'm soooooo mad - time for my rant....have spent all afternoon sorting out inventory for all of our stuff which is going in the container...have taken marine insurance out with Letton Percival direct in order to save ...when I was on the phone Brian (very nice man) explained how the premium is worked out 1.53% of total value ...fair enough no problem with that but there's also the small matter of the 5% which the bloody government want!!!!

Whats that all about???? Have we not already paid 17.5% in VAT when we bought the stuff....

Its not Letton Percival's fault (can't fault them so nice and helpful) but the bloody British Government......oh.....its our stuff why should we pay again....god i'm soooo annoyed......

Now I understand why people don't bother taking their stuff over.

need to go and have a cup of herbal tea and try and calm down, the shippers aren't here till Tuesday 7th November and I feel like my blood pressure is going to explode - this bit is not fun the house is in chaos there's stuff literally every where - we are such hoarders and there is just some much stuff and I know its just material things and all of that ....anyway had my rant feeling better now still stressed but calmer
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another money making racket....

Originally Posted by private benjamin
God I'm soooooo mad - time for my rant....have spent all afternoon sorting out inventory for all of our stuff which is going in the container...have taken marine insurance out with Letton Percival direct in order to save ...when I was on the phone Brian (very nice man) explained how the premium is worked out 1.53% of total value ...fair enough no problem with that but there's also the small matter of the 5% which the bloody government want!!!!

Whats that all about???? Have we not already paid 17.5% in VAT when we bought the stuff....

Its not Letton Percival's fault (can't fault them so nice and helpful) but the bloody British Government......oh.....its our stuff why should we pay again....god i'm soooo annoyed......

Now I understand why people don't bother taking their stuff over.

need to go and have a cup of herbal tea and try and calm down, the shippers aren't here till Tuesday 7th November and I feel like my blood pressure is going to explode - this bit is not fun the house is in chaos there's stuff literally every where - we are such hoarders and there is just some much stuff and I know its just material things and all of that ....anyway had my rant feeling better now still stressed but calmer
Hi, I believe the extra 5% which you pay is actually only 5% of the premium and not the total amount. i.e. if you have £10k worth of goods and you pay 1.5% on them, being £150, you would then have to pay a further 5% of the £150.

I'm sure you probably know this already though.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

private benjamin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wafc
Hi, I believe the extra 5% which you pay is actually only 5% of the premium and not the total amount. i.e. if you have £10k worth of goods and you pay 1.5% on them, being £150, you would then have to pay a further 5% of the £150.

I'm sure you probably know this already though.

OOOOh no I didn't know thank you sooo much for explaining (blood pressure just dropped) and I've had a good laugh wait till I tell the hubby.....

I'm not called Private Benjamin for nothing totally blonde and Brian probably did tell me but I probably wasn't listening.... I knew some one would put me right I feel so much better now I genuinely thought it was 5% of the total amount

Oh god what a nitwit I am!!!!

Last edited by private benjamin; Oct 29th 2006 at 3:18 pm. Reason: over excited with the spelling
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by private benjamin
OOOOh no I didn't know thank you sooo much for explaining (blood pressure just dropped) and I've had a good laugh wait till I tell the hubby.....

I'm not called Private Benjamin for nothing totally blonde and Brian probably did tell me but I probably wasn't listening.... I knew some one would put me right I feel so much better now I genuinely thought it was 5% of the total amount

Oh god what a nitwit I am!!!!
No worries, glad you're feeling a bit better now!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

hey 5% is 5% regardless, this bloody government are still getting money already recieved, even if it is from a nitwit, lol.

beth
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:53 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bethandneil
hey 5% is 5% regardless, this bloody government are still getting money already recieved, even if it is from a nitwit, lol.

beth

From a nitwit to a nitwit...let's see what wise decisions Our Tone and Morose Mr Brown make with all that wonga
Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

bethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nicebethandneil is just really nice

yes lets,

-extra money for those people that want to work for their money

-a rethink on the rip off, exploitism that is the new pay scale for nurses

-less money for scroungers who have no intension of ever doing an honest days work.

- more money for educating the children of this country who, lets face it, are the tax payers of tomorrow and at this rate, with 60 to a class, won't be able to spell tax let alone hold down a job long enough to pay any

i could go on but i won't!!

i don't somehow think any of the above will be on the agenda, do you?

Beth
Old Oct 30th 2006, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

oh and extra money for pensioners, so they dont freeze to death in british weather!!