Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another mobile phone Q

Another mobile phone Q

Old May 26th 2007, 10:33 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another mobile phone Q

Ok so no doubt these questions have gone round the houses before but humour me please

My mobile has been playing up big time lately, firtly i thought it was the network but have loads of friends who are on the same one and no probs, my poor old phone has taken a bit of a beating in the last year and it's lasted longer than most of my handsets (they either get replaced cause i've knackered them or from boredom with the handset - so normally my phone is changed about every 6 months).

So having loads of probs sending texts, some problems making calls and receiveing calls and a few of the other functions.

If we are going out to Australia I don't want to go ahead and buy a new phone if it's not going to work over there or I'm not going to be able to use all the functions.
So tell me if you bought a phone here and took it with you does it all still work as it should?

I know ppl say about unlocking the phone to take any sim and be used in any country but last time we did that so my husband could have my old one it rendered him unable to send and receive MMS's and unable to use WAP.

If it ain't gonna work i'll either try and get this one fixed or i'll buy a cheapy til I know whats going on

Jen
Old May 26th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Another mobile phone Q

Not sure really! How about buying a sim free phone?

Usually more expensive but then your not tied to a network before you go. You can just get a sim pack then to use until you go?! and one in oz when you arrive
Old May 26th 2007, 10:55 am
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JenJen
Ok so no doubt these questions have gone round the houses before but humour me please

My mobile has been playing up big time lately, firtly i thought it was the network but have loads of friends who are on the same one and no probs, my poor old phone has taken a bit of a beating in the last year and it's lasted longer than most of my handsets (they either get replaced cause i've knackered them or from boredom with the handset - so normally my phone is changed about every 6 months).

So having loads of probs sending texts, some problems making calls and receiveing calls and a few of the other functions.

If we are going out to Australia I don't want to go ahead and buy a new phone if it's not going to work over there or I'm not going to be able to use all the functions.
So tell me if you bought a phone here and took it with you does it all still work as it should?

I know ppl say about unlocking the phone to take any sim and be used in any country but last time we did that so my husband could have my old one it rendered him unable to send and receive MMS's and unable to use WAP.

If it ain't gonna work i'll either try and get this one fixed or i'll buy a cheapy til I know whats going on

Jen
Jen , go on ebay , you get a simfree for about £20 , it will allow you to put any sim card in it ( as you may know )

If you want a phone to use in Oz a UK Dual band should work as they run same frequencie - 900 and 1800 MHz

get a tri band there cheap and more common
Old May 26th 2007, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scott&rachel
Jen , go on ebay , you get a simfree for about £20 , it will allow you to put any sim card in it ( as you may know )

If you want a phone to use in Oz a UK Dual band should work as they run same frequencie - 900 and 1800 MHz

get a tri band there cheap and more common
just found this for you ,

http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roa...bandphones.htm
Old May 27th 2007, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Jen
All those bringing phones. Just remember to ask the Oz network to resend the data settings, mms setting and sms setting to your phone. They come via sms and then you shouldn't have any problems. Obviously your phone needs to be unlocked prior to the move and you need a sim. Husband bought a cheap nokia out here just to make and receive calls. I unlocked my nokia n73.

If you are having problems with your phone in the UK. Call the service provider. As them to reset all the settings on your account and send the setting through via sms. My mum always has either my brothers old phones or mine. Because she is pay as you go and we are contract she always has to phone to get the new settings sent. Problems alway resolve.

Regards

J
Old May 27th 2007, 8:16 am
Account Closed

Okey doke thankyou

Have found the phone I want an it's quad band, wasn't happy with the original price I saw it at but have found it less than half price somewhere else so shall buy one of those when I get paid

Jen
Old May 27th 2007, 8:17 am
Account Closed

Okey doke thankyou

Have found the phone I want an it's quad band, wasn't happy with the original price I saw it at but have found it less than half price somewhere else so shall buy one of those when I get paid

Jen
get it unlocked & away you go

s
Old May 27th 2007, 8:25 am
Account Closed

get it unlocked & away you go

s
Just wondering where to have it unlocked ? Cause the place on the market that did hubby's rendered it unable to send MMS or receive them or use WAP

Jen
Old May 27th 2007, 8:27 am
Account Closed

Just wondering where to have it unlocked ? Cause the place on the market that did hubby's rendered it unable to send MMS or receive them or use WAP

Jen
what model is it Jen ?

s
Old May 27th 2007, 8:58 am
Account Closed

what model is it Jen ?

s
Motorola KRZR K1 in blue

Jen

(I will get in the shower I will I will I will even if I have to take the bl**dy kids in with me fully dressed)
Old May 27th 2007, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Motorola KRZR K1 in blue

Jen

(I will get in the shower I will I will I will even if I have to take the bl**dy kids in with me fully dressed)
stand outside with bar of soap
Old May 27th 2007, 9:16 am
Account Closed

stand outside with bar of soap
It's not raining here just cold and miserable and I don't really want pneumonia thanks anyway.

All done now squeeky clean, war paint on and dressed.

Kids are now playing at the bottom of the stairs quite happily how typical little bu***rs

Jen
Old May 27th 2007, 9:19 am
Account Closed

It's not raining here just cold and miserable and I don't really want pneumonia thanks anyway.

All done now squeeky clean, war paint on and dressed.

Kids are now playing at the bottom of the stairs quite happily how typical little bu***rs

Jen
as regards phone , i would take to a reputable shop & ask them about the previous problems .

i looked online , but then you have to pay upfront which i wouldn't do .

i guess , get it unlocked & try before you pay .

stopped raining here too now .

S.
Old May 27th 2007, 9:25 am
Account Closed

as regards phone , i would take to a reputable shop & ask them about the previous problems .

i looked online , but then you have to pay upfront which i wouldn't do .

i guess , get it unlocked & try before you pay .

stopped raining here too now .

S.
Not going to look into gettign it fixed i've been down that route before with a phone that was a favorite of mine and it cost almost as much to have the flipping thing fixed as it's value was at the time.
Whenever I buy a phone instead of taking out the rip you off insurance (had it before) which oddly enough doesn't cover certain things and nearly always those certain things you want to claim for.
So now I put a bit of money aside each week/month depending on what else needs paying for so by the time I need a new one i've got a backup supply.
Diskike insurance companies and wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them

Jen