Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another life in the U.K post

Another life in the U.K post

Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all
Default Another life in the U.K post

O.K so i`m a newbie but I have used this site for a while to read the posts.
I have read a lot of posts and some have moved me to write this post.

Why do so many people knock the U.K ?
I am in the process of emigrating to Perth but what do I expect?, 35 hour working weeks with a big house/pool? and no crime, not a chance. My stepbrother has lived in Oz for 18 years and has been involved with I.V drugs amongst other things but is now settled. It is a great place by all accounts but as I gather not much better in many ways than the U.K (except for the weather and space).

Houses are cheaper in Perth but only to an Englishman looking to emmigrate there. Many young Australians face the same daunting task of trying to get a foot on the property ladder with many areas seeing big rises. Many u.k expats often go with big equity from their house so naturally can have a better house with little mortgage or outright buy? I personally have virtually no morgtage here in the U.K due to a critical illness payout. The financial freedom this has given me is enormous and enhanced my life in the U.K - this is the way many people feel when they go to Australia.

Other things are taken for granted in the U.k as well. I was ill and I know casualty is terrible as is a lot of other routine N.H.S services but I had first class care. I was in the John Radcliffe and I will argue with anyone the sites in Oxford are amongst the best in the world.

There are things many U.K residents fell unhappy about but life in other countries is not all milk and honey. Some people are "unhappy" people and this will follow them no matter where they live in the world.

This post is not an attack at any individual or country but please think about you motives for emmigration.

I personally am only looking to emmigrate due to the weather and overcrowding and if it was hotter here for longer I would stay in the U.K.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:21 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another life in the U.K post

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
please think about you motives for emmigration.
Half the problems people have are because they think about it too much...

Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hutch
Half the problems people have are because they think about it too much...

I think your right?
My own application has got me thinking too much lately. I am booked to go in April for 3 weeks to get a "feel" for Perth but is this a good or bad thing.

I know a couple with 2 kids who emmigrated in October 05 to Melbourne and never set foot in Australia - and they love it.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

There are things many U.K residents fell unhappy about but life in other countries is not all milk and honey. Some people are "unhappy" people and this will follow them no matter where they live in the world.
I argree, good job I'm a happy go lucky person.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 9:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I think your right?
My own application has got me thinking too much lately. I am booked to go in April for 3 weeks to get a "feel" for Perth but is this a good or bad thing.

I know a couple with 2 kids who emmigrated in October 05 to Melbourne and never set foot in Australia - and they love it.
If you can have a look-see I'd definitely go. However, one of the migration agents that posts on this site did once post some statistics about successful migrations that suggested that those who'd never set foot in Oz did far better than those who never had - no doubt because they had no preconceptions or illusions to be shattered. But like I say - I'd go, especially if you have a family, because you can have a look around, identify areas you might like to rent in, generally enable you to hit the ground running when you make the big move.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
If you can have a look-see I'd definitely go. However, one of the migration agents that posts on this site did once post some statistics about successful migrations that suggested that those who'd never set foot in Oz did far better than those who never had - no doubt because they had no preconceptions or illusions to be shattered. But like I say - I'd go, especially if you have a family, because you can have a look around, identify areas you might like to rent in, generally enable you to hit the ground running when you make the big move.

lol no preconceptions to be shattered, Australia does a very good PR job on it's self. When I've been there I've seen what it's like and it's not like it portrayed on TV. Far more people go without going to Australia first so they have a greater chance of having far more who stay. I for one am glad i saw first and I'd recommend it to anyone, but each to their own and I wish anyone going on the BIG step the very best of luck
Old Jan 17th 2006, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
lol no preconceptions to be shattered, Australia does a very good PR job on it's self. When I've been there I've seen what it's like and it's not like it portrayed on TV. Far more people go without going to Australia first so they have a greater chance of having far more who stay. I for one am glad i saw first and I'd recommend it to anyone, but each to their own and I wish anyone going on the BIG step the very best of luck
Thanks Hutch and A.B. I personally feel for myself it`s better to have a look - not just for yourself but you are uprooting your family as well.
Its interesting that people do marginally better that have never been - I can see that being the case.