Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

another licence question

another licence question

Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:31 pm
kerrie/wayne

Question another licence question

hi ,please can any one tell us if you get your driving licence in sydney i believe you just have to show your uk licence and they swop it over to a oz licence however we do not plan to settle in sydney but to settle in queensland
so my question is

1, do you have to have a fixed address in sydney for them to give you a oz licence .
2,can you use this licence from state to state

any info would be great .....cheers

Old Feb 26th 2006, 6:54 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another licence question

If your coming to QLD you will need a QLD licence. Licences differ from state to state. Its a matter of going to Queensland Transport office and making the application, however be aware that you need to take a theory test first much in the same way as the UK although it can be done on the same day and there is no need to make an appointment.

You need to provide ID to obtain a licence and an approved document with your address on is indeed a requirement so you may have trouble making application without a NSW address.

Here is a list of ID you are required to take : http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/...of_list12.html

Dont panic - the QLD licence is not that bad to get - I only failed the theory once LOL.
Old Feb 26th 2006, 10:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: another licence question

Originally Posted by kerrie/wayne
hi ,please can any one tell us if you get your driving licence in sydney i believe you just have to show your uk licence and they swop it over to a oz licence however we do not plan to settle in sydney but to settle in queensland
so my question is

1, do you have to have a fixed address in sydney for them to give you a oz licence .
2,can you use this licence from state to state

any info would be great .....cheers
In NSW it is a straight swap

You do need an address, but not sure exactly what evidence is required of permanence. The site quotes: Provide proof of your NSW address.

If you can get a NSW licence, then do so, as it then becomes a straight swap for the QLD one Bypassing the QLD theory test....