Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

...another great day!

...another great day!

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 5:37 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ...another great day!

Well as mcmercer junior is now recovered and subsequently driving us potty we decided it was time to enrol her in school. Contacted the local state school to where we'll be who suggested we come in for a chat today.
We spent an hour or so with the deputy principal, filled in a forest worth of forms and it was all done! He suggested she start tomorrow which is sooner than we anticipated but shes very pleased about it! We had to show her birth certificate but they werent too interested in the reports we'd bought from the uk school, however, as shes only in year 1, I guess they'll be doing their own assessment anyway as the school year is fairly new.

We went off armed with a book list that the local newsagent kindly put together for us so shes all set for tomorrow!

Next on todays agenda was collecting my car. Its a daewoo Kalos and is great, though as I'm the type of driver whos only worried about a cd player and being small enough to park I guess I'm not a great judge!

Final bit of news for the day is that Wills been offered a second job, though this has prompted him to accept the first as it was much better paid, its nice to be wanted!

Long may it continue......
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ...another great day!

Originally posted by mcmercer
Well as mcmercer junior is now recovered and subsequently driving us potty we decided it was time to enrol her in school. Contacted the local state school to where we'll be who suggested we come in for a chat today.
We spent an hour or so with the deputy principal, filled in a forest worth of forms and it was all done! He suggested she start tomorrow which is sooner than we anticipated but shes very pleased about it! We had to show her birth certificate but they werent too interested in the reports we'd bought from the uk school, however, as shes only in year 1, I guess they'll be doing their own assessment anyway as the school year is fairly new.

We went off armed with a book list that the local newsagent kindly put together for us so shes all set for tomorrow!

Next on todays agenda was collecting my car. Its a daewoo Kalos and is great, though as I'm the type of driver whos only worried about a cd player and being small enough to park I guess I'm not a great judge!

Final bit of news for the day is that Wills been offered a second job, though this has prompted him to accept the first as it was much better paid, its nice to be wanted!

You should get the Oscar for Best New Arrival Postings. Every day it seems you find some time to post some really useful info, good on ya, (as they say here)

Grade one they mainly learn letters and numbers and start reading, plus simple writing, joined up wirting wont start till Grade 3, its a busy year they really learn a lot, but its not stressful, no testing or anything. I'd say coming from the UK she will find it very very easy, certainly not stressful at all.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:42 am
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Michaela

Thanks for the posts. By the time we get there I think it will feel like we've already done a dry run!

Keep up the good work.

Graham & Nikki

Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Williem is an unknown quantity at this point

Its stuff like sorting out a school and job that provokes anxiety so if our experience reassures anyone then its worth 10 minutes. I've no doubt there'll be not such good days too, I'll post about them as well I expect when I start working I wont have so much time on here but in the meantime.....

ooops, posted under Wills username, sorry! Michaela
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Muzzman is an unknown quantity at this point

Seems to go from good to better for you at the mo!! Any chance of a timeline (if you've not already done one) of what you have got done and when. Would be useful in our Brissy planning.

Muzzman
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice that things are going so well for you all, congratulations.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Great news about everything, sounds like you are all settling in really well!
keep posting,
hugs
rach & family xxx
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

dave.t is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad all is well, it`s nice to see some positive threads.
Tell Will to e-mail me with all the details on the printers he is going to work for , great he got offered 2 jobs so quickly - makes me feel a little happier about finding work .
I was a little confused about your reference to the car - I thought women were only worried about the colour !!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Keep it up Michaela. What sort of job does Will do by the way?
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:28 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear everything is going well. You give us all inspiration.
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:20 am
Account Closed

Dave T, I've told Will, he'll be in touch, thought you were going to Perth? Never understood the colour thing with cars cus you cant see it when you're driving anyway

Debsy, Wills a printer, there are loads and loads of printing jobs here varying from basic machine work to production management.

Muzz's, Will do a timeline as soon as we get last bits and pieces sorted out.

Thanks everyone for your replies and encouragement
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:25 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

What I want to know is when you are going to get a PHONE so you can CALL people!
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:29 am
Account Closed

lol Mrs D, point taken have phone , will call
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:55 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

wow, you guys are on fire!
All you need now is a show and a bag you'll really have made it
Old Mar 3rd 2004, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

dave.t is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave T, I've told Will, he'll be in touch, thought you were going to Perth? Never understood the colour thing with cars cus you cant see it when you're driving anyway

Debsy, Wills a printer, there are loads and loads of printing jobs here varying from basic machine work to production management.

Muzz's, Will do a timeline as soon as we get last bits and pieces sorted out.

Thanks everyone for your replies and encouragement
We are going to Perth , I know your in Brisbane but I`m sure Aussie printers are different to Pommie ones so I just want an idea of what the set up is like over there.
Suppose your right about the colour thing - doesn`t matter to most women I know , there too busy looking in the rear view mirror to put on their lipstick!!!
Dave