Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another Fun Night in Perth

Another Fun Night in Perth

Old Mar 6th 2005, 11:29 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Fun Night in Perth

I was woken last night by screams and breaking glass. Yet another pleasant public holiday evening in Perth.

Our neighbours were sitting on their balcony having a few quiet drinks when the first rock hit them, followed by a barrage of more.

When the Father went out to confront the youths he got a broken nose and his car smashed up.

One of them was carrying a sword.

Because the police were busy dealing with 2 riots it took half an hour for them to turn up, by then the troublemakers had long gone.

This was not an isolated incident, in the 18 months I've lived in this "nice, suburban" street it's the third major "fighting, screaming and property smashed" incident.

Cheers,

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...5-1245,00.html

Police attacked by party youths
March 06, 2005

POLICE were pelted with rocks and bottles as they moved in to break up one of two out-of-control parties in the suburbs of Perth.
Officers in riot gear broke up a crowd of about 250 drunken youths gathering for a birthday party at a hall in High Wycombe in the Perth foothills at 10.30pm (WST) last night.

Police spokesman Garry Kosovich said in a second incident about an hour later, 12 police vehicles were called to control a party of about 200 in a neighbouring suburb.

In the High Wycombe incident a police officer received minor injuries after being hit in the leg with a beer bottle, while the rear window of a police car was also smashed, he said.

"Bottles were being broken, cars were doing burnouts, police were then pelted with rocks and bottles and riot teams were assembled to control the situation," he said.

Inspector Kosovich said the crowd eventually dispersed, but four youths had been charged as a result.

An hour later, police cars had to be deployed to break up another drunken crowd at a party in Greenmount.

About 200 youths had spilled onto the roadway from a house and were acting in an unruly manner.

It took police an hour to control the crowd and break up the party, but no arrests were made.

"These incidents did cause a considerable drain on police resources and they came over a very busy period for us."
Old Mar 7th 2005, 3:15 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another Fun Night in Perth

Originally Posted by renth
I was woken last night by screams and breaking glass. Yet another pleasant public holiday evening in Perth.

Our neighbours were sitting on their balcony having a few quiet drinks when the first rock hit them, followed by a barrage of more.

When the Father went out to confront the youths he got a broken nose and his car smashed up.

Because the police were busy dealing with 2 riots it took half an hour for them to turn up, by then the troublemakers had long gone.

This was not an isolated incident, in the 18 months I've lived in this "nice, suburban" street it's the third major "fighting, screaming and property smashed" incident.

Cheers,

March 06, 2005

POLICE were pelted with rocks and bottles as they moved in to break up one of two out-of-control parties in the suburbs of Perth.
Officers in riot gear broke up a crowd of about 250 drunken youths gathering for a birthday party at a hall in High Wycombe in the Perth foothills at 10.30pm (WST) last night.

Police spokesman Garry Kosovich said in a second incident about an hour later, 12 police vehicles were called to control a party of about 200 in a neighbouring suburb.

In the High Wycombe incident a police officer received minor injuries after being hit in the leg with a beer bottle, while the rear window of a police car was also smashed, he said.

"Bottles were being broken, cars were doing burnouts, police were then pelted with rocks and bottles and riot teams were assembled to control the situation," he said.

Inspector Kosovich said the crowd eventually dispersed, but four youths had been charged as a result.

An hour later, police cars had to be deployed to break up another drunken crowd at a party in Greenmount.

About 200 youths had spilled onto the roadway from a house and were acting in an unruly manner.

It took police an hour to control the crowd and break up the party, but no arrests were made.

"These incidents did cause a considerable drain on police resources and they came over a very busy period for us."

I really feel for you. It's not nice when it's on your doorstep is it. I have the same here but I live in the CBD so it is to be expected I supose, I wouldn't expect it in the Suburbs so much tho.

Kala
Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:19 am
Go Banana's !!

Cheers,

March 06, 2005

What suburb do you live in Renth ? Couldn't have been a particularly nice experience for any of you.

Hope it settles down soon.

Warren

Old Mar 7th 2005, 4:26 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
What suburb do you live in Renth ? Couldn't have been a particularly nice experience for any of you.

Hope it settles down soon.

Warren
Ocean Reef - a "nice" suburb.

Previously we've had a car ploughing into a bin, sending it across the road smashing in to a car with a woman putting her baby in the back. Also youths pushing over letterboxes and throwing rocks through the windows of a lady who lives on her own, because she yelled at them, because they were pushing mailboxes over.

Plus the old favourite of hoons, finding someone with a particularly nice lawn, driving on to it and doing a burnout to ruin it.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Crieky, I'm sorry to hear that. Indeed I hope you dont have to go through that again.

SS
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:20 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Crieky, I'm sorry to hear that. Indeed I hope you dont have to go through that again.

SS
Me too. I feel like I need to go to the sports shop and get me a baseball bat, for protection. I never felt this way in the UK.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I feel like I need to go to the sports shop and get me a baseball bat, for protection. I never felt this way in the UK.
Sounds unpleasant Renth.

Don't worry though there will soon be someone along to say it is far worse in Nottingham, Manchester, Budleigh Salterton etc...etc...

G
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:02 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I know exactly how you feel, I am scared to walk out my front door after dark on my own because of the kids hanging out the front, admitedly not every night but every thurs, fri and saturday without fail. I come from Crawley in West sussex and the place has a bad name but I never felt the fear I do here.

I think the problem here with Kids is hightened due to the vast distances between places.

I went to a 21st birthday party on Saturday and had to stand there and watch at least 20 cars full of pissed 17-22 yr old driving away in there overpowered utes. There were adults, parents of these kids standing round letting them drive off after drinking for hours, I thought it was crazy then 5 mins later after all the kids had gone the "adults" all jumped in there cars and drove off drunk aswell.

I know that it is different here especially in the country where I was but I do wonder how these parents would feel if there kid driving the V8 ute that mummy and daddy had kindly bought them for their 17th birthday, then treated them to a load of alcohol down the pub wrapped the car round a tree killing themselves and a bunch of other kids. I couldn't keep my mouth shut as I really cant stand drink driving and the general responce from the parents was "i'm too drunk to walk" No wonder these kids think it is OK to do a cask of coolabah and jump in the car and trash peoples lawns.
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:02 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, (and angry) to hear about that Renth.

What the hell is going on?????

I never thought that what you've described would be giong on in Ocean Reef!
We've been looking at buying a house round about that neck of the woods, as it's a lovely area.

Something needs to be done about this! These hoons & low life idiots seem to now have no respect for other people, & no fear of the Police.

When these scum are arrested, all they seem to get is a slap on the wrist, & told not to do it again.
What kind of deterrent is that??

They should be banged up in jail for at least a year, and made, (or their parents made) to pay for the damage!!

Then they would think, (and I use the term loosely) twice about destroying other people's property, and endangering decent peoples lives!!!
Old Mar 7th 2005, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scossie
Sorry, (and angry) to hear about that Renth.

What the hell is going on?????

I never thought that what you've described would be giong on in Ocean Reef!
We've been looking at buying a house round about that neck of the woods, as it's a lovely area.

Something needs to be done about this! These hoons & low life idiots seem to now have no respect for other people, & no fear of the Police.

When these scum are arrested, all they seem to get is a slap on the wrist, & told not to do it again.
What kind of deterrent is that??

They should be banged up in jail for at least a year, and made, (or their parents made) to pay for the damage!!

Then they would think, (and I use the term loosely) twice about destroying other people's property, and endangering decent peoples lives!!!

There seems to be a lot of it lately, sydney had another weekend of riots.

Some of the parents dont care tho!! We lived in a golf course estate, prestige crap the works, the people opposite had 3 teens, each got a hotted up car at 16.5 years, by 17 the spotty brats were blasting up residential streets at 90 klm +, anybody complaining just got told, their kids its just what they do at that age

We had mates here who came home to find local kids had started a fire
in a wheelie bin designated for newspapers, the parents simply denied it was their kids!

Then there is adults, my wifes car was hit by a shower of rocks from an illegally parked concrete truck last week, knowing the fines the builder would get if the police found out the road was blocked, she politely presented the bill for damages and was told to fuc! off, women like her need their arses smashed in to the ground by the big aussie macho man concretor. After calling the police, the woman police office told us she is treated to and spoken to that by aussie blokes everyday

In all of the above examples the police had no power to do anything apart from speak to the offending party who simply deny it
Old Mar 7th 2005, 9:46 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmmm

Some people on this forum have just bought in High Wycombe, and we are considering it too.
They (and I) think it's a reasonable suburb, a bit better than Maddington/Gosnells. Maybe it's the same though.(these could be incidents, and the severety of them probably is, but still)
Hmmm, Thornlie is still looking the best for what we can afford!!

As I've said before, how unsafe etc you feel, all depends on what you're used too.
I come from a large country town in Holland, but I've felt more unsafe here.
Just last week I walked to my car (down a side street, next to work), where there were two 'youths' in car, one car bay from my car. I had to walk past the front of there car, and it didn't feel nice. To scare me more they decided to reff(sp?) the engine, lol! Thanks guys!
I quickly got in and drove off.
They could've been checking out the cars to break in, cos that's happended before there...

And the National Bank I have to go everyday has had 2 hold ups in a year, and one ram raid. I did wonder why there was a security gaurd for a while(apparently there is one for a while after something happens) :scared:
And then there was once a drunken guy (at 2 pm) banging on the window while I was inside.
oh, and the Gypsy Jokers (like Hells Angels) headquarters is just around the corner! And we kept bumping into all 80 of them on our holiday in the southwest in January, along with the 100 policemen who were watching there every move (nice to know are taxes are being spent well (oh well, it made for a very amusing holiday(which I still haven't posted about...). One of the bikies had a sticker on his numberplate which said: WA: home of police harrassment (still, more recent events have proved they do cause trouble))

Luckily where we live now there isn't nice wide streets for hoons, but where we move to there will be. One of the main criteria when looking for a house will be that it's in a cul-de-sac in the middle of a suburb.

Oh, that ended up a long post,
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:14 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

Originally Posted by Simone
Mmmmmmm

Some people on this forum have just bought in High Wycombe, and we are considering it too.
They (and I) think it's a reasonable suburb, a bit better than Maddington/Gosnells. Maybe it's the same though.(these could be incidents, and the severety of them probably is, but still)
Hmmm, Thornlie is still looking the best for what we can afford!!

As I've said before, how unsafe etc you feel, all depends on what you're used too.
I come from a large country town in Holland, but I've felt more unsafe here.
Just last week I walked to my car (down a side street, next to work), where there were two 'youths' in car, one car bay from my car. I had to walk past the front of there car, and it didn't feel nice. To scare me more they decided to reff(sp?) the engine, lol! Thanks guys!
I quickly got in and drove off.
They could've been checking out the cars to break in, cos that's happended before there...

And the National Bank I have to go everyday has had 2 hold ups in a year, and one ram raid. I did wonder why there was a security gaurd for a while(apparently there is one for a while after something happens) :scared:
And then there was once a drunken guy (at 2 pm) banging on the window while I was inside.
oh, and the Gypsy Jokers (like Hells Angels) headquarters is just around the corner! And we kept bumping into all 80 of them on our holiday in the southwest in January, along with the 100 policemen who were watching there every move (nice to know are taxes are being spent well (oh well, it made for a very amusing holiday(which I still haven't posted about...). One of the bikies had a sticker on his numberplate which said: WA: home of police harrassment (still, more recent events have proved they do cause trouble))

Luckily where we live now there isn't nice wide streets for hoons, but where we move to there will be. One of the main criteria when looking for a house will be that it's in a cul-de-sac in the middle of a suburb.

Oh, that ended up a long post,
Talking about Ram raids, I had to go to the police station last night to make a statement (boring story dick head backpackers) and when I got there noticed the whole entry area was gone, I asked the copper what had happened and his exact words were "another satisfied customer" it turns out that they had pulled some bloke over a couple of weeks ago and and yellow stickered his car, so he went to the pub, got himself suitably drunk, phoned the police and told them he was coming to get them and drove his car into the police station.

Bless him
Kala
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:20 am

DIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond reputeDIMO8 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

March 06, 2005

OMG...Renth you must be totally p***ed off with it all. Oceans Reef is top of our list to move too....you have really got me thinking, These last few monthes i have heard a few negative posts......i am a big worrier and now you have me worried whether it is such a 'nice' place to live
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:26 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Talking about Ram raids, I had to go to the police station last night to make a statement (boring story dick head backpackers) and when I got there noticed the whole entry area was gone, I asked the copper what had happened and his exact words were "another satisfied customer" it turns out that they had pulled some bloke over a couple of weeks ago and and yellow stickered his car, so he went to the pub, got himself suitably drunk, phoned the police and told them he was coming to get them and drove his car into the police station.

Bless him
Kala
:scared:

Btw, Kala, after your last post about being shouted at by the aboriginals etc. I have really been thinking about it, and how scary it must be! I mean, I'm usually not that scared, but I know the area where I work isn't the best, so I was already a little bit scared by those guys in the car just sitting there(I wouldn't where I live), but geez, what you are going through is so many times more worse! I've never had to go through any of that(though my parents have I think, but I was 9, don't remember anything of that, only the good times we had up there), so can't really imagine.. but :scared:
And even what Renth was going through :scared:

(you can tell by that I already 'wince' at two guys in a car, what an easy life I've had till now!!)
Old Mar 7th 2005, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We went to through Ocean Reef today... I thought the burn outs in Joondi were bad enough but this was much worse. It's worrying that it's so socially acceptable and the punishments for hooning are a laugh... the policy is to have 3 chances then you're vehicle is confiscated... but after a while they get their cars back.
I don't know why the police are so anal about speed traps but don't go after these tw@ts, maybe invest in some stingers and that would take some of them off the streets.
When we stayed in Como the council were installing loads of roundabouts and bumps. Perhaps they should do the same in the newer suburbs, particulary on the busiest roads through the burbs (not highways though).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.