Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another Driving Question

Another Driving Question

Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Driving Question

I got my QLD driving license about 2 weeks ago, and I now what to teach Mrs JTL to drive so that she can pick me up from the pub in the evenings , I mean 'share driving responsibilities'.

Having read the 'Your keys to driving in Queensland' book, it says a person instructing a learner must have held an open licence for 1 year. So the question is, does my UK licence count as holding an open licence or do I have to walk home from the pub for another 50 weeks?

(before JAJ asks, no I haven't rung Queensland Transport, thought I'd ask here first)

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:41 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: Another Driving Question

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I got my QLD driving license about 2 weeks ago, and I now what to teach Mrs JTL to drive so that she can pick me up from the pub in the evenings , I mean 'share driving responsibilities'.

Having read the 'Your keys to driving in Queensland' book, it says a person instructing a learner must have held an open licence for 1 year. So the question is, does my UK licence count as holding an open licence or do I have to walk home from the pub for another 50 weeks?

(before JAJ asks, no I haven't rung Queensland Transport, thought I'd ask here first)

Cheers,
JTL

From what I can make out, the Open Licence, is the full DL (as supposed to a provisional) and doesnt say anything about any exceptions of foreign licences etc. This may help - http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/d...e?OpenDocument

If you got your QLD DL recently then dont you have a QLD DL card now anyway, and doesnt that mean you have an Australian open DL??
Old Nov 20th 2004, 6:28 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

As an aside, in the ACT the person instructing/accompanying a learner driver must not be under the influence of alcohol. Presumably your plan is to be picked up from the pub after your missus has passed her test, not while she's still on a provisional licence? Of course - otherwise driving unaccompanied on a provisional would be a no-no too.

Big.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 6:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mlbonner
From what I can make out, the Open Licence, is the full DL (as supposed to a provisional) and doesnt say anything about any exceptions of foreign licences etc. This may help - http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/d...e?OpenDocument

If you got your QLD DL recently then dont you have a QLD DL card now anyway, and doesnt that mean you have an Australian open DL??
Yes but the question is: can I teach the wife to drive, when the rules stipulate I must have held an Open Queensland driving licence for 1 year before teaching someone to drive. I've had my UK driving licence for 17 years, but my Open Queensland driving licence for 2 weeks. So am I allowed to teach Mrs JTL to drive?

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 6:46 am
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another Driving Question (QLD Theory Test)

JTL,

We do our theory test in Chermside this coming week, have you any tips or advise as to passing ?

I have been reading the book which I bought from QLD Transport but its huge and too much information.

When I was in Chermside to collect the book I noticed other people doing the theory test and it seems very easy to 'cheat' you come write certain difficult answers on your arm or palm of your hand !

What are the 30 questions made up of ?

Hope you can help.

Mr IrishMolly.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 6:53 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by irishmolly
JTL,

We do our theory test in Chermside this coming week, have you any tips or advise as to passing ?

I have been reading the book which I bought from QLD Transport but its huge and too much information.

When I was in Chermside to collect the book I noticed other people doing the theory test and it seems very easy to 'cheat' you come write certain difficult answers on your arm or palm of your hand !

Hope you can help.

Mr IrishMolly.
You could practice on the WA online test,
http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/l...uiz/index.html

I did that and passed the QLD one. I think the questions must be very similar

Old Nov 20th 2004, 7:44 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
JTL
We had exactly the same problem with our daughter. The answer is yes you can teach your wife to drive here :scared: as long as you held a U.K licence for the required period of time. We found out by asking at the police station. The traffic Sgt didn't know the answer straight away and was extremely apologetic, he took my mobile number and called me after contacting the Qld police legal department. He then sent us the fax he received from the dept. just in case one of his fellow officers stopped us for a random test.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 8:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JTL,

Hope you can help.

Mr IrishMolly.
There are 10 questions regarding the Give way rule, so study up on that section. They are a pain, I know, but thats the section I think they like to catch people out on. Its this mythical unmarked junction, and 3 cars all turn up at the same time and 1 is turning left etc etc. Its all rubbish, never happens in real life, but its their way to check you've read, and understood, and learned all the other stuff.

The other 20 questions are about road signs and where you can park, turn, etc. They are easy, common sense stuff.

Theres only really two section of the book you need to read. They are "Driving Skills" Pages 69 to 94, and "Traffic Conditions" pages 95 to 125.

Hope that helps, good luck

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cresta57
We had exactly the same problem with our daughter. The answer is yes you can teach your wife to drive here :scared: as long as you held a U.K licence for the required period of time. We found out by asking at the police station. The traffic Sgt didn't know the answer straight away and was extremely apologetic, he took my mobile number and called me after contacting the Qld police legal department. He then sent us the fax he received from the dept. just in case one of his fellow officers stopped us for a random test.

Thanks Cresta, thats what I wanted to hear!

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Cresta, thats what I wanted to hear!

Cheers,
JTL
Don't get too excited about this yet my dear! Remember I failed my driving test twice 16 years ago? I can fail agian?!

Your wife.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 10:32 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Its this mythical unmarked junction, and 3 cars all turn up at the same time and 1 is turning left etc etc. Its all rubbish, never happens in real life
JTL,

Thanks for the reply and tips !

So what is the answer to the question about the mythical unmarked junction ? who gives way ?

Cheers,

Mr IrishMolly
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JTL,

Thanks for the reply and tips !

So what is the answer to the question about the mythical unmarked junction ? who gives way ?

Cheers,

Mr IrishMolly
As a general rule, you should always give way to the car on the right at unmarked junctions, unless its a car coming from the opposite direction and wanting to turn right across your path.

Its too hard to explain in words! Best look at the examples in the Key to Driving book (Pages 75- 82, Page 82 has a couple of 'multiple cars at unmarked junctions' examples), and then try an come up with a few different cases yourself. They can throw all kinds of permutations at you.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:46 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Yes but the question is: can I teach the wife to drive, when the rules stipulate I must have held an Open Queensland driving licence for 1 year before teaching someone to drive. I've had my UK driving licence for 17 years, but my Open Queensland driving licence for 2 weeks. So am I allowed to teach Mrs JTL to drive?

Cheers,
JTL
The answer to your question is 'yes', as Cresta said. However, do take Big Galah's advice into consideration. You will need a zero alcohol blood level when acting as instructor.

Btw, is MrsJTL going to the girls drinkie-poos on 10th? Would love to meet her.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 1:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ProofReader
The answer to your question is 'yes', as Cresta said. However, do take Big Galah's advice into consideration. You will need a zero alcohol blood level when acting as instructor.

In NSW I have to be under the limit to supervise a learner. The blood alcohol level for learners and P plater is zero.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Hi PR,

It'll be nice to see you too on Dec 10th!

Just to clarify the confusion here... I'm not going to drive JTL to or from any pub on a learner license. In fact I don't even know if I'll pick him up from a pub when I have an open license...

He's just very anxious to get me started on learning to drive so that I can get my license ASAP for his benefit. Just kidding.

But really he's not into bars or pubs that much. When we go out for meals, it's always by taxi or we simply want a mile or two, even if he's only just having one pint. He's too careful a driver.

I've put off the needs to drive for far too many years and it's about time now, so stay clear of my way...

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.