Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another driving licence question

Another driving licence question

Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:19 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another driving licence question

I took my test and passed it in Canberra in 1995 when I was PR.
Left the country in 1996 and swapped the licence for an Irish one.
I CAN get proof from the ACT Govt Driving Centre that I passed in 1995 (for $17!).
Can I use that (expired ACT licence) to get a QLD licence now or will I still have to do the theory test?

I am just trying to be lazy.

Andrew
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 4:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Another driving licence question

Originally Posted by andrew63
I CAN get proof from the ACT Govt Driving Centre that I passed in 1995 (for $17!).
Can I use that (expired ACT licence) to get a QLD licence now or will I still have to do the theory test?

Andrew
My wife left Australia in 1996, swapped her Australian Licence for a UK one, then returned to Australia in 2000, and swapped her UK licence back again with no test at all. However, this was NSW to NSW.
She then swapped her NSW licence to a QLD one, with no charge, and the new QLD one was given the same expiry date as her NSW one.

So, going by this, you could renew your ACT licence with no bother, do you fancy a short break to Canberra ? and then swap that one over here in QLD.

It may be worth a call to the Dept of Transport here, see if you can avoid the trip to Canberra.

Old Dec 27th 2004, 7:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So, going by this, you could renew your ACT licence with no bother, do you fancy a short break to Canberra ? and then swap that one over here in QLD.

It may be worth a call to the Dept of Transport here, see if you can avoid the trip to Canberra.
I doubt the ACT will issue a licence to a resident of QLD. However with proof that an ACT licence was issued in the past, plus proof an overseas licence has been held all along, QLD should be willing to issue a new licence. This is not a typical query, so you need to check directly (and speak to a manager if the person on the front desk appears clueless).

Jeremy
Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

My wife traded in her ACT licence for a UK licence when she came over to the UK.

When we moved to Australia, she was able to get a NSW licence straight away. They just checked on the computer that she had an ACT licence, then issued the NSW one on the spot. I would imagine a similar thing will happen in Qld.

Do you still have the details of your ACT licence (ie the number)? This may make it nice and easy for them to check.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 9:51 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
My wife traded in her ACT licence for a UK licence when she came over to the UK.

When we moved to Australia, she was able to get a NSW licence straight away. They just checked on the computer that she had an ACT licence, then issued the NSW one on the spot. I would imagine a similar thing will happen in Qld.

Do you still have the details of your ACT licence (ie the number)? This may make it nice and easy for them to check.

Guys
Thanks all for your help
Consencus appears to be that this should be straightforward enough and with a bit of luck I won't have to return to Canberra!

Andrew
Old Dec 27th 2004, 10:49 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

Whilst we are on the driving licence subject, it may be a good idea to post the site that provides sample test questions..................but I have lost it in my faves.......does anybody else have it?
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:13 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Andrew
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid you're very likely to have to go through the whole process again if you're Irish licence has expired.

Originally Posted by http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/index/licensing_question2
How long do I have before I need to do any tests again?
If your Irish licence is still current, you can 'swap' it for a Queensland one: see http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...sing_question1 for info.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 12:19 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sandradee
Whilst we are on the driving licence subject, it may be a good idea to post the site that provides sample test questions..................but I have lost it in my faves.......does anybody else have it?

Here's the link for Queensland's sample questions: http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/LTASinfo.nsf/ReferenceLookup/Sample_test_questions.pdf/$file/Sample_test_questions.pdf
Old Dec 28th 2004, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ProofReader
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm afraid you're very likely to have to go through the whole process again if you're Irish licence has expired.

If your Irish licence is still current, you can 'swap' it for a Queensland one: see http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...sing_question1 for info.
It may be worth checking with the ACT on this one. The ACT does not appear to have restrictions on renewing expired licences. Qld on the other hand will only allow a licence to be expired for 5 years. After this time, a full driving test etc will be required.

It may be therefore possible to renew your old ACT licence, then transfer to QLD. However to renew your ACT licence, you will need to provide proof of residency in the ACT, so all in all, this could be a very protracted and expensive route!

As Proofreader suggests, better hope your Isish licence is still valid!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:16 am
I don't re Member

Originally Posted by Trevglas
It may be worth checking with the ACT on this one. The ACT does not appear to have restrictions on renewing expired licences. Qld on the other hand will only allow a licence to be expired for 5 years. After this time, a full driving test etc will be required.

It may be therefore possible to renew your old ACT licence, then transfer to QLD. However to renew your ACT licence, you will need to provide proof of residency in the ACT, so all in all, this could be a very protracted and expensive route!

As Proofreader suggests, better hope your Isish licence is still valid!
Irish licence is still 100% valid.
They have 10 year expiry so it is still the same one I got in exchange for my ACT licence.
I think the best bet is to get the proof from ACT that I passed my test their and my old ACT licence no. and take that to QLD office.
Thanks all

Andrew
Old Dec 28th 2004, 5:19 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Irish licence is still 100% valid.
They have 10 year expiry so it is still the same one I got in exchange for my ACT licence.
I think the best bet is to get the proof from ACT that I passed my test their and my old ACT licence no. and take that to QLD office.
Thanks all

Andrew

I called QLD transport the other day, they were pretty helpful. Their number is: 13 23 80