Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

....another day in Brisbane

....another day in Brisbane

Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:17 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ....another day in Brisbane

OK, with Dotty's encouragement heres another newbie post, please feel free to ignore it if I'm boring you

Today we had our first experience with a doctor in Oz. My daughter had been off colour for a few days and started complaining of earache so off we trundled to get her checked out.

We arrived at the medical centre not having a clue about the system but were told as we had medicare no. (get it as soon as you can) she would be seen in 20 minutes. Dr saw her, gave her a very good checking over and prescription. Also gave us a lengthy talk about sun safety (I'm very pale!) and a general guide to the area! On our way out we had to sign a form but were told there was no charge. I've no idea how this works but wasnt about to argue! Popped to the chemist, antibiotics cost $17.50 which is comparable to uk prescription charge.

Overall a positive experience
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:28 am

nikkers will become famous soon enoughnikkers will become famous soon enough
Default Re: ....another day in Brisbane

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcmercer
OK, with Dotty's encouragement heres another newbie post, please feel free to ignore it if I'm boring you

Today we had our first experience with a doctor in Oz. My daughter had been off colour for a few days and started complaining of earache so off we trundled to get her checked out.

Hi Michaela

I really look forward to your posts it helps to learn with you!Please keep posting everything new

Nikki x
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcmercer

We arrived at the medical centre not having a clue about the system but were told as we had medicare no. (get it as soon as you can) she would be seen in 20 minutes. Dr saw her, gave her a very good checking over and prescription. Also gave us a lengthy talk about sun safety (I'm very pale!) and a general guide to the area! On our way out we had to sign a form but were told there was no charge. I've no idea how this works but wasnt about to argue! Popped to the chemist, antibiotics cost $17.50 which is comparable to uk prescription charge.

I thought prescriptions were free for children in UK. (under 16 or 19 in full time education)

Been to Docs twice here, Went to one who had a 3 day waiting list !! and wanted $30 just to see him, all I needed was a prescription for diabetic blood strips.

So found another one (Mends Street, South Perth, who saw me within the hour which was quite impressive, and as it was just a prescription to get PBS he bulk billed so no charge. Which meant I got strips for $23.20 rather than $68 over counter.

Still prefer UK though, free prescriptions etc. for Diabetics.

Last edited by karawara88; Feb 28th 2004 at 7:36 am.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Dilly's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diabetics

Wow, another diabetic!

I too have diabetes and have just (today!) got our passports back with PR Visas stuffed in em.

We are off to Brisbane in about 12 weeks and I have some apprehension about how easy or expensive it is going to be to get insulins etc.

would appreciate any advice or info about peoples experiences.

Cheers
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

rich and debbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diabetics

Hi Dillys
We are off in 3 weeks and are also wondering about cost etc of insulin, Anybody got any advice?
Debbie
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Diabetics

Originally posted by Dilly's
Wow, another diabetic!

I too have diabetes and have just (today!) got our passports back with PR Visas stuffed in em.

We are off to Brisbane in about 12 weeks and I have some apprehension about how easy or expensive it is going to be to get insulins etc.

would appreciate any advice or info about peoples experiences.

Cheers
Make sure the insulin you take and other type stuff is available in Australia, I was about to change insulins before we left but found the one that was best for me not available in Australia. Also Hypostop not available here.

Think if you email the diabetes association here they can tell you whats available. web address is on http://www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/medical.php

I made sure I stocked up before leaving and had enough of everything to last a long time. The only shortfall was my medisense glucose strips. Which are available on PBS here so get discounted, the doctor gave prescription for 5 repeats.

Also diabetics association have a subsidy thing called NDSS the order form is at http://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/...rm%20DA102.pdf gives you an ide of prices etc. look quite reasonable and all you need to do is register!

Had a few problems when I got here with trying to get a balance. Not too bad now though, but on humid days I somtimes get a bit of a panic as the humidity can give the hypo feeling.

My main concern being here was not having regular dibetic check ups, eyes, feet etc which I had at home every six months for free. The cost of those here might be a bit steep.

Anything you want to know email me if I can help I will. Also PP is diabetic and maybe able to offer more help as she is on the other side. So to speak.

If you are diabetic and never heard of hypostop, ask your doctor for a prescription its supplied by bio diagnostics (I should be on a commission) its the best stuff ever! small tube about 3 inches long with fast acting dextrose gel, if you are feeling low just snap top off and squirt in mouth. Its got me out of trouble a few times, the beauty is its a flexible plastic so fits in bag etc. with this sweaty climate no worries about carrying fruit pastels etc. and getting sticky in pocket.

They come in box of three, so get stocked up on them, I always have one in my pocket. Any one who has had a hypo will know the importance of having somthing available.

Last edited by karawara88; Feb 28th 2004 at 8:31 am.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

rich and debbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for all that I will pass it on to Rich. I know he is really well stocked up with everything . But these links will be a help, knowing him hes probably sussed a lot out already (VERY organised bloke) but sometimes I find out things on this site which he doesnt know.

Debbie
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Dilly's is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Diabetic

Thanks for the info.Hadnt heard of hypostop so shall get some.

Paul
Old Feb 28th 2004, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

On our way out we had to sign a form but were told there was no charge. I've no idea how this works but wasnt about to argue!
It looks like you found a Doctor that "Bulk Bills".

The form you signed is effectively a credit card "payment authorisation" for the Government (Medicare) to pay the doctor direct, for whatever amount is on the form.

With some other doctors you may have to contribute to the cost.
eg: If the Government scheduled charge for a visit is $35, but the Doctor charges $45, then you pay the difference of $10.00

What I have noticed is that most Chinese or Indian Doctors will "Bulk Bill", but I have also seen that a lot of Doctors who normally charge higher, will actually "Bulk Bill" for children and Pensioners. Definition of Pensioner being a person of any age, who gets a health care card, and maybe some others.

Hope your daughter feels better soon, mine has had a cold for a few days now, and is now complaining about blocked ears, but it hasn't stopped her wanting to go swimming !

Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:00 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks ABC,
I must get to grips with the system here as I guess I'll be working in it! She's perked up a bit now managed a little swim today too! Hope yours is better soon too
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Thanks ABC,
I must get to grips with the system here as I guess I'll be working in it! She's perked up a bit now managed a little swim today too! Hope yours is better soon too
Michaela

Hope that she will soon be feeling better.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Alastair Rhodes is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: ....another day in Brisbane

keep these personal experiances coming. Brisbane 2005 fingers crossed!!

Any Ideas on the best suburbs north of brisbane ?????????