Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another CFA war story

Another CFA war story

Old Jul 2nd 2006, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another CFA war story

About 6 weeks ago I completed my Search and Rescue /Breathing Apparatus course and now consider myself to be a fully trained structural firie - as in can deal with the range of standard fires. No more standing outside when I can be inside ..

I was pretty chuffed last Friday night - I got to use it. There are bods who do the course and never use it in a few years.

Deep asleep at 11pm - knackered after a hard week.
Pager goes off - and I do my normal fumble for my glasses. Chief rescues the situation as always by turning on the light, allowing me to find the door to the bedroom.

Get out the door in gear, without waking Little Miss Badge in a good time but drop my pager in the hallway so have no idea what incident it is.

Get on the back of the tanker as it is leaving, hoping I've left my ute in gear....and its not going to roll out the station driveway whilst I'm trying to get my turnout coat on.

Sitting on bank of tanker , lights and sirens going, have no idea whats going on.

Get onscene, to find a nice Toyota convertable ablaze. Luckily, its not on gas. Jump off, bowl a hose and go in to attack it, half asleep. A few loud noises - hope the diffs, suspension, tailshafts etc won't blow! Get a whiff of a noxious fume - phew - and one of the Lieuys says "get BA on Badge". Get BA on, forget all the training, panic when for a few seconds when I realise I can't get off the tanker, there's a velcro strap holding me and it in place (not on the course) and finally end up walking to car sounding like Darth Vader whilst tightening all the straps.

Everybody stands around and watches me try to open the bonnet with a crowbar but my glasses have steamed up under the facemask so it takes an age. Then realise I'm not wearing my structural gloves - ouch - it's hot, and I've cut myself.

Captain decides in the debrief I have been a liability...

Stuffed up back at the station trying to change cylinders and pressure test - - still half asleep - but still came away with a sense of achievement.

Badge
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another CFA war story

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright

Stuffed up back at the station trying to change cylinders and pressure test - - still half asleep - but still came away with a sense of achievement.

Badge

Bloody well done Badge. Proud of you. It'll be second nature after a few of those.
(But keep safe, eh?)
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:18 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Another CFA war story

Good onya, Badge! Great to see you doing your bit for the local community.

CFA geezers are all heroes, in my book - regardless of whether they're old hands or new recruits.
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

About 6 weeks ago I completed my Search and Rescue /Breathing Apparatus course and now consider myself to be a fully trained structural firie - as in can deal with the range of standard fires. No more standing outside when I can be inside ..

I was pretty chuffed last Friday night - I got to use it. There are bods who do the course and never use it in a few years.

Deep asleep at 11pm - knackered after a hard week.
Pager goes off - and I do my normal fumble for my glasses. Chief rescues the situation as always by turning on the light, allowing me to find the door to the bedroom.

Get out the door in gear, without waking Little Miss Badge in a good time but drop my pager in the hallway so have no idea what incident it is.

Get on the back of the tanker as it is leaving, hoping I've left my ute in gear....and its not going to roll out the station driveway whilst I'm trying to get my turnout coat on.

Sitting on bank of tanker , lights and sirens going, have no idea whats going on.

Get onscene, to find a nice Toyota convertable ablaze. Luckily, its not on gas. Jump off, bowl a hose and go in to attack it, half asleep. A few loud noises - hope the diffs, suspension, tailshafts etc won't blow! Get a whiff of a noxious fume - phew - and one of the Lieuys says "get BA on Badge". Get BA on, forget all the training, panic when for a few seconds when I realise I can't get off the tanker, there's a velcro strap holding me and it in place (not on the course) and finally end up walking to car sounding like Darth Vader whilst tightening all the straps.

Everybody stands around and watches me try to open the bonnet with a crowbar but my glasses have steamed up under the facemask so it takes an age. Then realise I'm not wearing my structural gloves - ouch - it's hot, and I've cut myself.

Badge
The first bit sounds horribly familiar (apart from the glasses)

Good on ya
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The first bit sounds horribly familiar (apart from the glasses)

Good on ya
Some days, I am out the door in seconds (and am first to the station - even
have time to do boots up whilst driving).

Others, I bounce off every door and wall in the house, can't find my ignition key or ignition slot, have left my boots in the laundry...turn up with wrong helmet..
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:51 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Some days, I am out the door in seconds (and am first to the station - even
have time to do boots up whilst driving).

Others, I bounce off every door and wall in the house, can't find my ignition key or ignition slot, have left my boots in the laundry...turn up with wrong helmet..

lol.....your post read like a hollywood action movie!!!

i think what you are experiencing is called frank spencer syndrome ......
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
lol.....your post read like a hollywood action movie!!!

i think what you are experiencing is called frank spencer syndrome ......
"Betty!".

"I'm not doing very well, am I!?"

Will always remember the pregnancy one.