Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another Bike Import Question (track day)

Another Bike Import Question (track day)

Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Bike Import Question (track day)

Hi,

This is a real pain. First I thought I couldn't import my bike as I am on a 457 visa, but it seems I can. It looks like too much hassle, but I have spent a fortune on my bike and dropped it like a silly bugger, thus the light damage will make it worth a lot less here if I sell it. There are hardly any decent modern sportsbikes for sale (on the web anyway) in Oz, and any that are are selling for about 40% more than here.

Anyway to the point of my question. Do I HAVE to register it etc once I have imported it. I was considering just keeping it as a track day toy and getting a trailer.

One more thing, do documents I send for gaining approval need to be "verified" copies, or will scans etc do ?

cheers folks

Last edited by tazkenny; Aug 27th 2007 at 10:04 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:56 pm
HCJ
Forum Regular

HCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the roughHCJ is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Another Bike Import Question (track day)

You don't have to register it if you're not taking it on the road, but you might want to research the price and availability of track days in NSW. Eastern Creek and Bathurst are probably your best options.

You know you'll end up buying another bike for the road anyway so just take the pain and sell it before buying a new one in Australia.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

I just scanned and emailed mine.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:37 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tazkenny
Hi,

This is a real pain. First I thought I couldn't import my bike as I am on a 457 visa, but it seems I can. It looks like too much hassle, but I have spent a fortune on my bike and dropped it like a silly bugger, thus the light damage will make it worth a lot less here if I sell it. There are hardly any decent modern sportsbikes for sale (on the web anyway) in Oz, and any that are are selling for about 40% more than here.

Anyway to the point of my question. Do I HAVE to register it etc once I have imported it. I was considering just keeping it as a track day toy and getting a trailer.

One more thing, do documents I send for gaining approval need to be "verified" copies, or will scans etc do ?

cheers folks
It maybe worthwhile contacting the controlling body Motorcycling Australia on www.ma.org.au to check out rules, regs, possible importing advice and availability for trackwork. They can give you details on where (tracks) and when you can take your bike for a spin.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

tazkenny is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that. Pheonix, did you email your complete application ?

Ta