Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Another 70 hour week

Another 70 hour week

Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another 70 hour week

Do painter & decorators have to work so many hours in Oz just to pay the bills. Please tell me they don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
Brisbane in 10 weeks
Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:32 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another 70 hour week

Originally posted by liz and mark
Do painter & decorators have to work so many hours in Oz just to pay the bills. Please tell me they don't!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark
Brisbane in 10 weeks
Blimey !! Thats twice what I work in a week.

My mate whos a plant fitter calls me a softie because i work a 32 hour week full time lol
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by liz and mark

Mark
Brisbane in 10 weeks
Depends what you want to earn, a basic crappy wage, stick to 7 to 4 and youll get by probably same as UK. Those who want money work 6/7 days a week or 12 hours a day. OZ offers no magic wands, same applies here as the UK really. No shortage of work tho, with the housing boom.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 10:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Depends what you want to earn, a basic crappy wage, stick to 7 to 4 and youll get by probably same as UK. Those who want money work 6/7 days a week or 12 hours a day. OZ offers no magic wands, same applies here as the UK really. No shortage of work tho, with the housing boom.
Had an interesting conversation with an Aussie builder who is doing some work for us on one of our sites. He said that he had left Australia (NSW) because there were so many builders there with so much competition that he found it hard to make a living. He's done really well in the UK, started his own company & now employs about 10 guys & he's flying. He said that the shortage of tradesmen in the UK (anyone trying to get work done will know about this) was a big plus & that there were a lot of builders in Australia chasing a smaller market making it easy to get work done at a fair price. Don't know what the situation is like now though.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

Don't know about decorators but here in the Financial sector things pretty much suck.

Am currently working 14 hour days just to keep my head above water.

Was here until 10pm last night (Friday) and here I am again today for most of the day.

Old Aug 16th 2003, 3:19 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Amazulu
Had an interesting conversation with an Aussie builder who is doing some work for us on one of our sites. He said that he had left Australia (NSW) because there were so many builders there with so much competition that he found it hard to make a living. He's done really well in the UK, started his own company & now employs about 10 guys & he's flying. He said that the shortage of tradesmen in the UK (anyone trying to get work done will know about this) was a big plus & that there were a lot of builders in Australia chasing a smaller market making it easy to get work done at a fair price. Don't know what the situation is like now though.
Your should have put a health warning on this post , I just hope Stoney , Chippy and the leak fixer show no interest in your rely to this thread.

Old Aug 16th 2003, 5:23 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Mr Who? Time travel can be a broadening experience.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 6:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Mr Who? Time travel can be a broadening experience.
Just telling you what the man said.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:43 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Just telling you what the man said.
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'

The Times They Are A-Changin'
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally posted by Megalania
And the first one now
Will later be last
For the times they are a-changin'

The Times They Are A-Changin'
Uh Uh
Old Aug 17th 2003, 3:09 pm
Carol in Oz

Originally posted by PeteY
Blimey !! Thats twice what I work in a week.

My mate whos a plant fitter calls me a softie because i work a 32 hour week full time lol

32 hours! Part time here!lol

Old Aug 17th 2003, 5:24 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I am usually awake 70 hours a week minimum. Tough life but someone's got to do it.