Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Annual Paid Vacation

Annual Paid Vacation

Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

The GoodbyeGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Annual Paid Vacation

Does anybody know what the annual paid vacation days are in Oz? Here in Canada they are only required to give you two weeks vacation by law.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:47 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Oz its generally 20 days (or 4 weeks) for a full time job (I think its over 32 hrs/week, will someone correct me if Im wrong pls?) which accrue if not used. Less than the UK where if I remember rightly its 25 days, but in Oz we also have long service leave after 10 years with the same employer, which is 3 months paid leave. But you have to have been working for the same employer . Not sure if the UK has anything like that or not.
Old Oct 17th 2003, 9:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Annual Paid Vacation

Originally posted by The GoodbyeGirl
Does anybody know what the annual paid vacation days are in Oz? Here in Canada they are only required to give you two weeks vacation by law.
The link below has your answer. I get 20 days holiday ie 4 weeks. If I wanted I could roll over the annual leave and save it for another year or have it paid out if I left. A lot of Aussies do not take their holidays and take the pay out. Now that the outstanding leave is a liability my employer has been ecouraging staff to take holidays. One colleague of mine had 6 months leave accumulated.

http://www.actu.asn.au/public/library/annualle.html
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Foggies is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just recieved a formal job offer and it says "annual leave accrues at the pro rata rate of 5 weeks per annum for each year of continuous service from the date of your commencement" which sounds the same as the UK. The bit I like is the fact that you appear to get 17.5% more pay during your annual leave ....unless I've misunderstood the blurb!!!!

Claire

Flying on the 4th Nov..........AAARRRGGGHHHH
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:34 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Foggies
I've just recieved a formal job offer and it says "annual leave accrues at the pro rata rate of 5 weeks per annum for each year of continuous service from the date of your commencement" which sounds the same as the UK. The bit I like is the fact that you appear to get 17.5% more pay during your annual leave ....unless I've misunderstood the blurb!!!!

Claire

Flying on the 4th Nov..........AAARRRGGGHHHH
Claire, nope, you havent misunderstood it, its called annual leave loading, AFAIK all employers have to pay it. I would think myself lucky with the 5 weeks though, the standard is definitely 4 weeks.

Congrats on the job offer BTW .
Old Oct 17th 2003, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

That's great, what a civilized way of paying your workers, it might pay for all the beer we drink when we're on holiday (well actually we drink a lot of beer when we're not on holiday LOL).
Thanks for your congrats, I feel very lucky to have got a job quite easily, the only problem is I'll have to support Marc until he finds something to occupy himself. He did mention part time work but I'm sure I must have misheard him

Claire
Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:01 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Foggies
That's great, what a civilized way of paying your workers, it might pay for all the beer we drink when we're on holiday (well actually we drink a lot of beer when we're not on holiday LOL).
Thanks for your congrats, I feel very lucky to have got a job quite easily, the only problem is I'll have to support Marc until he finds something to occupy himself. He did mention part time work but I'm sure I must have misheard him

Claire
LOL, Im sure he will find something, if you are coming to Brisbane, Im looking for someone to cut the grass, perhaps he could get a mowing run & get paid in beer?
Old Oct 17th 2003, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

That's a good plan! We are coming to Brisbane so if he's bored I'll send him round LOL.
He's pretty good at mowing grass, but then again he's pretty good at drinking beer as well.
He's actually a seafarer which is why we picked Brisbane, it being a port with lots of water and stuff like that. Hopefully he'll get sorted out quickly but if not we'll bear your offer in mind