Annual leave

Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Annual leave

No permie jobs in IT in Brisbane so a leave allowance is a bit of a fantasy, but agree with others that forcing people to have 2 weeks at Xmas is well out of order - This whittles down your annual allowance to 2 weeks and December is too hot & busy to enjoy time off. You need an employer receptive to unpaid/flexi. What does suprise me is that annual leave is not used as an incentive here to attract potential employees - There seems to be a collective agreement to keep it at 20 days across the board
Old Jan 7th 2013, 11:22 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
No permie jobs in IT in Brisbane so a leave allowance is a bit of a fantasy, but agree with others that forcing people to have 2 weeks at Xmas is well out of order - This whittles down your annual allowance to 2 weeks and December is too hot & busy to enjoy time off. You need an employer receptive to unpaid/flexi. What does suprise me is that annual leave is not used as an incentive here to attract potential employees - There seems to be a collective agreement to keep it at 20 days across the board
I worked for a national company in the Brisbane office that due to its own financial dire straits implemented a 3 week shutdown over Xmas...it was 12/20 annual leave days!! I know the LSL pay out threshold is 7 years in Qld too as I looked into it when that company went under. I'd been there for 2.5 years so $0 for me.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil248
Using sick leave if you are not sick is immoral and probably rather stupid.
Unless you work for a company that gives you pretty much unlimited sick leave (well 12 months in any 2 year period I think is the official policy)

Interestingly in the US our company decided to do away with official/monitored leave for certain areas and basically told employees just take whatever time off you want - upshot was that employees ended up taking less time off overall. Definitely would be abused in Australia.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely would be abused in Australia.[/QUOTE]

Why?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

I just wish you could opt out of long service leave and have an extra week a year instead![/QUOTE]

wouldn't this defeat the purpose of long service leave. Why would they give you an extra weeks leave out of the goodness of their hearts, when you have to earn your loyality and service to have long service leave!!
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Definitely would be abused in Australia.
Why?[/QUOTE]

I think there is more of a 'taking a sickie' culture over here, people in the US are a bit more appreciative and scared of losing their jobs these days.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:02 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Why?
I think there is more of a 'taking a sickie' culture over here, people in the US are a bit more appreciative and scared of losing their jobs these days.[/QUOTE]

Yup. sickie taking is endemic in the paces I have worked here.

S
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:04 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
wouldn't this defeat the purpose of long service leave. Why would they give you an extra weeks leave out of the goodness of their hearts, when you have to earn your loyality and service to have long service leave!!
Maybe...but it's a 2 way street. As I said, an employer could ditch me after 6 years and 11 months and I'd have absolutely nothing to show for my loyalty. Not a cent. Long service leave is of no interest to me whatsoever as I don't think I'll ever benefit from it - it's nothing to do with loyalty - people change jobs for all sorts of reasons. My OH worked at Borders for years (but not quite 7)...they didn't exactly benefit from it! In that respect it's stacked in favour of the employer. I'm just saying...you could agree to opt out, take the extra 4.5 days a year and should you happen to stay 10 years the employer doesn't have to cover a 2 month holiday.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Maybe...but it's a 2 way street. As I said, an employer could ditch me after 6 years and 11 months and I'd have absolutely nothing to show for my loyalty. Not a cent. Long service leave is of no interest to me whatsoever as I don't think I'll ever benefit from it - it's nothing to do with loyalty - people change jobs for all sorts of reasons. My OH worked at Borders for years (but not quite 7)...they didn't exactly benefit from it! In that respect it's stacked in favour of the employer. I'm just saying...you could agree to opt out, take the extra 4.5 days a year and should you happen to stay 10 years the employer doesn't have to cover a 2 month holiday.

Wasn't that what part of WorkChoices was about? you could trade benefits and entitlements for greater pay/longer leave to suit yourself?

When I started at my first company they offered me a choice of higher rate of pay but with reduced leave or standard rate with standard leave entitlements.

S
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Wasn't that what part of WorkChoices was about? you could trade benefits and entitlements for greater pay/longer leave to suit yourself?

When I started at my first company they offered me a choice of higher rate of pay but with reduced leave or standard rate with standard leave entitlements.

S
Was the standard still 20 days?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:15 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
Was the standard still 20 days?

No that only came in with FWA.

S
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
No that only came in with FWA.

S
So what was the standard then?
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:35 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
So what was the standard then?

I think the 20 days was standard, but not set in law. Now it's defined by statute as the minimum.

S
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:41 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I vaguely remember having annual leave, sick pay and long service leave, but for the last 15 years I have worked on contract where I get paid for the hours I work and don't get paid at all other times. As long as you can negotiate a good enough contract rate that means you can take all the holidays you can afford! I'm just back from a 4 week Christmas break, then we are taking a 6 week European holiday over Easter and another fortnight break in September.

It helps that I have paid off the house and all the kids are married and self-sufficient.
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:50 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
I vaguely remember having annual leave, sick pay and long service leave, but for the last 15 years I have worked on contract where I get paid for the hours I work and don't get paid at all other times. As long as you can negotiate a good enough contract rate that means you can take all the holidays you can afford! I'm just back from a 4 week Christmas break, then we are taking a 6 week European holiday over Easter and another fortnight break in September.

It helps that I have paid off the house and all the kids are married and self-sufficient.

This is my ideal TBH. I would happily forgo all of those things in exchange for the flexibility of contract work. I was hoping to get that in my current role, but they weren't having any of it

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.