Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

annual car mileage

annual car mileage

Old Nov 18th 2005, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default annual car mileage

I have been looking at second hand cars for sale in Australia. I am trying to see what I can get for my money.

Obviously the mileage in Australia is recorded in KMs, which is going to make the figure bigger, but looking at the cars in the lower end of the price bracket they seem to have done billions of KMs!

I know the average mileage per year in the UK is 10,000. I also am aware that there is a lot more road to cover in Australia and I am expecting the annual average KMs to be more, but does anyone know what is the average.

I am quite supprised at the cost of the cars also, seem quite expensive for what you get.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: annual car mileage

Originally Posted by manxfamily
I have been looking at second hand cars for sale in Australia. I am trying to see what I can get for my money.

Obviously the mileage in Australia is recorded in KMs, which is going to make the figure bigger, but looking at the cars in the lower end of the price bracket they seem to have done billions of KMs!

I know the average mileage per year in the UK is 10,000. I also am aware that there is a lot more road to cover in Australia and I am expecting the annual average KMs to be more, but does anyone know what is the average.

I am quite supprised at the cost of the cars also, seem quite expensive for what you get.
I suppose living where you do then anything over a couple of thousand must sound like billions to you

I've never understood where the 10K mile average came from in the UK or who actually drives that few miles. Maybe it's a carry over from those stopping distances in the highway code when the brakes were s**t!

Don't know the answer I'm afraid. Just thought I'd add something
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:47 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Just completed my first year and did 13500km.

Not claiming to be Mr.Average though
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:59 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

25,000 here. That makes me above average.

And yes, secondhand cars are v expensive. New ones not too bad though, provided you don't go for anything too exotic.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Just completed my first year and did 13500km.

Not claiming to be Mr.Average though
Youre anything but average Bix
Old Nov 18th 2005, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

From memory 20-25K for people who live in cities, obviously more if you live further out/more regional where public transport is rubbish.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 7:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: annual car mileage

20,000 km per year is the standard; I used to do anything between 15,000 and 18,000.

Cars are certainly a lot more expensive back home; one thing the UK has going for it is the low price of a decent motor!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I have done 25000km in 10 months. Most of that is taking my daughter to her after school activities...........taxi service springs to mind lol.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mand8002
I have done 25000km in 10 months. Most of that is taking my daughter to her after school activities...........taxi service springs to mind lol.
I do 25k a year.

remember that alot of Aussie k's are 'country' ks done at kinder speeds for the engine.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:21 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I've done 24k in almost exactly a year. we're not doing a school run yet though.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:23 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I've done close to 50k in my new Ute, only got it end of July I pay more in fuel costs a month than I spend on glue and grout at the tile shop . Since the hike in fuel prices here we've started charging a minimum of $50 extra per job if the jobs more than 40k away.
If your a self employed tradie expect to spend almost as much time driving as working if you live out in the sticks a bit.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:31 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

I did 5000Km in the first year. But thats cos we live near a train station, and I hate driving in Brisbane CBD.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:40 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the other aussies in the thread, 20K is considered "average" for a year for someone who lives in the city. Of course there are plenty of people that do higher & lower than the "average" which is why there is an "average" .

FWIW, I now do around 10K/year, roughly 15km round trip school run (which I sometimes do 3 times/day) & running the kids around after school to stuff like scouts/AFL. It was around 5K before but we used to live much closer to the school, plus now the kids are older they are doing more after school activities. I think Dagboy does just under 20K/year.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Nov 19th 2005 at 11:47 am.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

jskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura aboutjskogsta has a spectacular aura about

No idea, but I know it is ALOT .. we arrived in June and we've already run 14.000 km's on our 4WD! That's just driving in the Melbourne area .. with one long-range trip from Sydney to Melbourne (bought the car in Sydney).

.. so for 5 months that is alot! Should end up somewhere in the 30-35.000 km mark. Possibly more as we are planning some long-range trips.

Not sure if that helps, but ..

/Jorgen
Old Nov 19th 2005, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Electrician and builder in our family one did almost 60,000 last year the other only started in july but has done 16,000 in 5 months, lovely petrol bills :scared:

One thing for those with older kids as soon as your kid is 17 most jobs expect them to provide a car and petrol, example first year apprentice, all expect them to have a car and pay to run it out of wages that are little more than pocket money. Same when son was in business administration job requirement was a car! and own computer.

Driving kids around, we dont live in the sticks but I am in the car up to 1.5 hours a day just on school trips and getting them to sporting activities which are all over the place, plus soon school hours will be totally different, one starts at 8 one at 10 one finishes at 3 one at 4 so that will go up again.