Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Annoying Chest-Puffer Thread

The Annoying Chest-Puffer Thread

Old Jul 9th 2019, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Annoying Chest-Puffer Thread

What have you been able to accomplish or achieve in Australia, that you think would not have been possible to do in your home country?

This will be a good read for intending migrants as they weigh up what to do.

Post and discuss.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:09 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Annoying Chest-Puffer Thread

Originally Posted by carcajou
What have you been able to accomplish or achieve in Australia, that you think would not have been possible to do in your home country?

This will be a good read for intending migrants as they weigh up what to do.

Post and discuss.
Why don't you start us off?
Old Jul 10th 2019, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Why don't you start us off?
Sure.

I realise it's cliche but I did manage a (more or less) complete lifestyle change. Much more active and outdoorsy, and far less sedentary, here than I ever was overseas.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 7:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know for certain that I couldn't (or wouldn't) have done it in the UK but I moved from the corporate to non-profit world (after 6 years in Asia without a real career role), went in not far above entry level as the oldest Database Assistant in town, ended up back up there as a Finance Director and Company Secretary, and went to bed at night feeling I was making a difference in the world.

I felt lack of relevant qualifications was no barrier to this, my age and experience were respected, and I experienced no xenophobia, working in a very diverse and multicultural sector.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 9:50 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Dreamy is paid enough here so that I don't need to worry about working (which is nice) and means that I've been able to do a uni degree in the comfort of my own home. In the UK, I did Open University too, but I had to pay upfront for it there - here, as a citizen, I can just load up on the debt that may be repaid if I ever get a job

We were also able to afford a much bigger home (admittedly bought 10 years ago and 90 minutes from Sydney) than we could have afforded in the UK.

I'm not sure our lives are fundamentally different here, we had a good life in the UK and we still have a pleasant and enjoyable life here - oh, hang on, I wouldn't have met Penny, Dorothy and Kooky if I'd stayed in the UK - hmmm... not sure that's a positive

Old Jul 10th 2019, 9:51 pm
Officially Bewildered

Sure.

I realise it's cliche but I did manage a (more or less) complete lifestyle change. Much more active and outdoorsy, and far less sedentary, here than I ever was overseas.
What was the driving force behind becoming more active/less sedentary?
Old Jul 10th 2019, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Brissy for four years and, to be honest, apart from the weather it wasn't that much different to any city I've ever lived in. Love being in Australia but it was just a city and was too expensive and hustly and bustly.

A couple of years ago, Sallyanne and I bought a little farm in Sugarloaf, QLD. We got shot of the mortgage and love the peace and quiet of living right out in the sticks. Even the problems out here are generally nice ones - an hour ago I had to coax a cow out of the home paddock and into the top paddock without the alpaca's storming the gate and having a munch around the house.

Small town Australia has opportunities too. I fell into being a support worker and I'm now earning more money than I ever thought possible which has brought forward our retirement plans by a couple of years. Sallyanne has started a business which is flourishing and, all in all, we couldn't be much happier.

Leave the city, ditch the mortgage and enjoy small town Australia.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 11:40 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Mr Dreamy is paid enough here so that I don't need to worry about working (which is nice) and means that I've been able to do a uni degree in the comfort of my own home. In the UK, I did Open University too, but I had to pay upfront for it there - here, as a citizen, I can just load up on the debt that may be repaid if I ever get a job

We were also able to afford a much bigger home (admittedly bought 10 years ago and 90 minutes from Sydney) than we could have afforded in the UK.

I'm not sure our lives are fundamentally different here, we had a good life in the UK and we still have a pleasant and enjoyable life here - oh, hang on, I wouldn't have met Penny, Dorothy and Kooky if I'd stayed in the UK - hmmm... not sure that's a positive
Love you too xx
Originally Posted by SoCalDon
I lived in Brissy for four years and, to be honest, apart from the weather it wasn't that much different to any city I've ever lived in. Love being in Australia but it was just a city and was too expensive and hustly and bustly.

A couple of years ago, Sallyanne and I bought a little farm in Sugarloaf, QLD. We got shot of the mortgage and love the peace and quiet of living right out in the sticks. Even the problems out here are generally nice ones - an hour ago I had to coax a cow out of the home paddock and into the top paddock without the alpaca's storming the gate and having a munch around the house.

Small town Australia has opportunities too. I fell into being a support worker and I'm now earning more money than I ever thought possible which has brought forward our retirement plans by a couple of years. Sallyanne has started a business which is flourishing and, all in all, we couldn't be much happier.

Leave the city, ditch the mortgage and enjoy small town Australia.
Sounds idyllic. We would like to do something similar. Buy a few acres, have fruit trees, chooks and a small place away from the city.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

What was the driving force behind becoming more active/less sedentary?
It didn't happen by design. When it was time to leave the Middle East, we didn't want to go back to our home countries, and I saw a gap in my field in Australia that my work could fill. We also wanted to live regionally.

But there are so many interesting things etc in the regions, and the beaches are the best in the world, that soon we found ourselves putting 5,000 kms on the car every month. I rarely did anything outdoorsy when I lived in Miami or Seattle or Asia etc, and so to be doing it virtually every weekend was a big life change, and a very positive one.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Love you too xx

Sounds idyllic. We would like to do something similar. Buy a few acres, have fruit trees, chooks and a small place away from the city.
Are you still thinking about Harvey?
Old Jul 11th 2019, 1:47 am
Officially Bewildered

Originally Posted by SoCalDon
. Even the problems out here are generally nice ones - an hour ago I had to coax a cow out of the home paddock and into the top paddock without the alpaca's storming the gate and having a munch around the house.
I love that.
We have friends who live on acreage outside Yass (they both work in Canberra) who love to regale us with tales about their stroppy cows, wayward ducks and overflowing fruit trees. If it wasn't so bloody cold in the winter and searing hot in the summer (lol) I'd live there tomorrow.

Old Jul 11th 2019, 4:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you still thinking about Harvey?
Maybe. Somewhere like that. 5 acres or so.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 4:24 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

oh, hang on, I wouldn't have met Penny, Dorothy and Kooky if I'd stayed in the UK - hmmm... not sure that's a positive
Cheeky mare. I might be more than 90 minutes away now but I'm still reading your posts, you know.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

I love that.
We have friends who live on acreage outside Yass (they both work in Canberra) who love to regale us with tales about their stroppy cows, wayward ducks and overflowing fruit trees. If it wasn't so bloody cold in the winter and searing hot in the summer (lol) I'd live there tomorrow.
I live on a farm. It is true the cows get out, the water tank runs dry etc. It is a lot of work and takes a lot of money, but if you can get the economics of it right (ie securing jobs in the regions etc) there is no place in the world better than regional Australia.
Old Jul 11th 2019, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Maybe. Somewhere like that. 5 acres or so.
Could I suggest looking down the other highway instead - Wandering, Williams etc. It's about the same distance from Perth, good medical facilities available nearby in Narrogin, and the area just to the west around Boddington is very scenic.

As you are looking - make sure you get sorted on who is going to help you maintain the block. 5 acres is a lot of work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.