Annnual Leave

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Annnual Leave

Does anybody know how many days annual leave is the norm in Oz?

Thanks,
Mummy
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:42 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Annnual Leave

Originally posted by Mummy

Thanks,
Mummy
Sorry, no, but I did read somewhere that Oz holiday pay is 17% extra above normal day rate. Sounds cool to me - can anyone confirm?

Anya.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:48 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the work you are in

average company IT etc included 20 days

extra % means trades,

Over 10 years and you work up long service leave - after you stay with company ten years!

I left UK with over 28 days pa, usually your 20 days does not grow. Nursing I have heard better, but basic trade and service industry does not increase. Please let me know if I am wrong cause I will change jobs???

Cheers
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Husband is a nurse and get 6 weeks
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

20 days annual leave is standard plus 8 days bank hols (9 I think if you live in Tasmania)

Last week's 'New Life Down Under' said Oz had 11 public holidays - it does but some are allocated on a state by state basis only so you won't get all 11 if you reside in one state (e.g. Melbourne Cup Day is a a public holiday....but in Victoria only. Every one else in Oz is at work while Vic has a holiday.)

I just left my job and had 14 days holiday owing to me, so I took payment instead - it was taxed at 42% which is far higher than the rate of tax I was paying. I confirmed with ATO and they said that payment for holidays owed is indeed taxed at a higher rate than normal income tax (and it's on their web site)
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

In my current job I have 30 days plus bank holidays and any flexi time. In Oz I will have 365 days!!!
We will be living a `cheaper` but `happier` way of life, living in a less material way.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:55 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

You usually can acrue leave, meaning do not take leave and it is held over for the next year, and on and on.........

That is what most people I work with do, first year they take nothing so they get the 20 days after that they take a couple of weeks a year.....

NZ is worse basic allowance is 15 work days....

and before I become boring I am talking about statutory, and most I know stick to that...I design payroll systems including leave.

Oh sugar....sick leave ....10 to 20 days paid per year and you are doing very well.

Let me know who gets better?
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 12:59 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
20 days annual leave is standard plus 8 days bank hols (9 I think if you live in Tasmania)

Last week's 'New Life Down Under' said Oz had 11 public holidays - it does but some are allocated on a state by state basis only so you won't get all 11 if you reside in one state (e.g. Melbourne Cup Day is a a public holiday....but in Victoria only. Every one else in Oz is at work while Vic has a holiday.)

I just left my job and had 14 days holiday owing to me, so I took payment instead - it was taxed at 42% which is far higher than the rate of tax I was paying. I confirmed with ATO and they said that payment for holidays owed is indeed taxed at a higher rate than normal income tax (and it's on their web site)
But when you fill in tax return for the year you will get tax back over the year....yes that is the rule for tax at that point in time but the ATO tax return does work it back over the year and if you do not reach the 42% bracket annuallly you will be due a refund

Cheers
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra

Oh sugar....sick leave ....10 to 20 days paid per year and you are doing very well.

Let me know who gets better?
Good question. My sick leave in Oz was first 5 days full pay, next 5 days at half pay, and any time off sick after that was unpaid.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:03 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Good question. My sick leave in Oz was first 5 days full pay, next 5 days at half pay, and any time off sick after that was unpaid.
so you did well then...they had a sick leave payment

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:12 pm
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

a lot of aussie companies run a tight ship so taking leave is also different to the uk.

uk it is usually more normal for everyone to take their allocation in the year it is allocated. in oz it is more usual for people to accrue their leave for one longer trip every few years or so.

accordingly do not expect to be able to take short breaks etc. it can be done but was not my experience.

leave loading rarely applies to packaged salaries i.e. most earning over $35k to $40k.

Last edited by dugongs; Jan 23rd 2004 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mummy

Thanks,
Mummy
20 days (4 weeks) is standard. Strictly speaking you don't get it till you've been there for a full year but some employers will allow you to take what you've accrued during the year - so you could take 2 weeks after 6 months.

A lot of people get the 17% leave loading. Public servants do, anyway and I've had it in all my permanent full-time jobs. It's a hangover from when people earnt a basic wage plus regular extra allowances/overtime - and it was to make up for the fact they didn't receive the extra stuff when they were on leave.

Long-service leave is accrued over 10 years, when you get 3 months. I think you can get paid out your accrued long-service pay (if you leave your job) after 5 years but if you leave before then, you lose it.
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:23 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I currently have 68 days leave, so I'm going to die in Oz. Hoping to get a job where I don't mind being at work! Or work for myself...

I agree with the average of 20 days - this is what I've heard too
Old Jan 23rd 2004, 1:29 pm
Gone Senile Member

Originally posted by nickyc
20 days (4 weeks) is standard. Strictly speaking you don't get it till you've been there for a full year but some employers will allow you to take what you've accrued during the year - so you could take 2 weeks after 6 months.

A lot of people get the 17% leave loading. Public servants do, anyway and I've had it in all my permanent full-time jobs. It's a hangover from when people earnt a basic wage plus regular extra allowances/overtime - and it was to make up for the fact they didn't receive the extra stuff when they were on leave.

Long-service leave is accrued over 10 years, when you get 3 months. I think you can get paid out your accrued long-service pay (if you leave your job) after 5 years but if you leave before then, you lose it.
On long service leave - which companies pay out after five? Public service (government jobs) is a different game, private check and then check again...most only pay LSL when they have to which is 10 years service.

cheers