Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anglo-Celtic Rioters

Anglo-Celtic Rioters

Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice
Default Anglo-Celtic Rioters

According to some knob writing (if that's what you can call it) in the West Australian today the non-muslim rioters were of Anglo-Celtic origin. Anybody ever heard this expression before?

I have a vision of yobos in kilts wearing knotted hankies on their heads rampaging through Cronulla.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:32 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Anglo-Celtic Rioters

Originally Posted by Steve Zodiac
According to some knob writing (if that's what you can call it) in the West Australian today the non-muslim rioters were of Anglo-Celtic origin. Anybody ever heard this expression before?

I have a vision of yobos in kilts wearing knotted hankies on their heads rampaging through Cronulla.
Yep, that's exactly what they wore.

And board shorts, too.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:49 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anglo-Celtic Rioters

The term has been around in oz for decades. It has no religious connotations, obviously.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 12:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Anglo = England/Northern Ireland; Celtic = Scottish, Welsh, Irish (except there is a Celtic aspect to NI) = British Isles. I don't see a problem. The dropping of Saxon might confuse. How about Teutonic/Celtic origins? The important thing is to say it as Keltic not Selltic as in Glasgow!

OzTennis
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really niceSteve Zodiac is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Anglo = England/Northern Ireland; Celtic = Scottish, Welsh, Irish (except there is a Celtic aspect to NI) = British Isles. I don't see a problem. The dropping of Saxon might confuse. How about Teutonic/Celtic origins? The important thing is to say it as Keltic not Selltic as in Glasgow!

OzTennis
Its still strikes me as a weird expression the rioters on one side were Australian Muslims the others were Australian Anglo-Celts. Never heard the expression before and why weren't they Australian Christians?

My other gripe is the general poor quality of journalism in the West Australian.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:36 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Anglo-Celtic Rioters

Never heard the expression before and why weren't they Australian Christians?
Probably because they weren't actually Christians. That would be my guess.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Probably because they weren't actually Christians. That would be my guess.
But were the muslims muslims in the muslim sense of the word?

Comparing rioting muslims (who if the rioting Christians aren't Christians aren't muslims) is, in journalistic terms, like comparing apples with tofu.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:52 pm
Fighting my corner

Question Re: Anglo-Celtic Rioters

But were the muslims muslims in the muslim sense of the word?
I don't know if they were Muslims at all. Were they actually described as Muslims?