Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anglo Australian couples

Anglo Australian couples

Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:48 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anglo Australian couples

Something I only just found out which is probably old news but thought I'd post it here.
Reading an article that my mother sent me from the Torygraph in the UK...
'If an Anglo-Australian couple have never bought in Australia, they are entitled to a AUS$7000 first home owner grant as well as stamp duty exemption up to AUS$500,000. You usually need to add around 5 per cent costs to the purchase price.'

I'd never heard of this and hope it's true. It seems almost too good. Anyone got the downside?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 4:34 am
Red Devil

angec has a spectacular aura aboutangec has a spectacular aura aboutangec has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anglo Australian couples

Originally Posted by iPom
Something I only just found out which is probably old news but thought I'd post it here.
Reading an article that my mother sent me from the Torygraph in the UK...
'If an Anglo-Australian couple have never bought in Australia, they are entitled to a AUS$7000 first home owner grant as well as stamp duty exemption up to AUS$500,000. You usually need to add around 5 per cent costs to the purchase price.'

I'd never heard of this and hope it's true. It seems almost too good. Anyone got the downside?
Well, we're an Anglo-Australian couple and we got the 7000 first home buyer grant having never owned a house over here. We were also exempt from stamp duty, I think that was because we were first time buyers here too.(although i don't know if there are thresholds here like the UK that we might have fallen under).
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We got the grant but it also applies to anyone who is buying in Aus for the first time. Don't know if we were exempt from stamp duty - will have to check that
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Does it say in which states - we got the 1st time buyer grant but paid the Vic govt stamp duty in full
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:30 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Does it say in which states - we got the 1st time buyer grant but paid the Vic govt stamp duty in full
In VIC you get (First Home Bonus) $3000 but only if your property is less than $500k.

LJJ
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hawk2005

Typical british article... doesn't say anything about states whatsoever.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Theres lots of threads on this on expats. It was a government iniative from about hmmm, 8 years ago? Not sure exactly. Each of the states decide the exact amount/conditions as far as i know. At one point it was doubled to $14k and then it all changed. It applies to buying a home for the first time or buying land and building a home on it for the first time - but in the second case you MUST live in the house for x period and not just build and then sell it on.

Stella (who is quite lonely cause Bert has flown the coop up to Katoomba for a conference for 3 days!!! So am sitting here on me own drinking some nice white wine,,,,,,)
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
Theres lots of threads on this on expats. It was a government iniative from about hmmm, 8 years ago? Not sure exactly. Each of the states decide the exact amount/conditions as far as i know. At one point it was doubled to $14k and then it all changed. It applies to buying a home for the first time or buying land and building a home on it for the first time - but in the second case you MUST live in the house for x period and not just build and then sell it on.

Stella (who is quite lonely cause Bert has flown the coop up to Katoomba for a conference for 3 days!!! So am sitting here on me own drinking some nice white wine,,,,,,)

Thank you Stella - I'll do a search on past posts. If Bert's in Katoomba, let me recommend he goes to Mountain Harvest cafe for some excellent food ... and let me reassure you I was in town this morning and it was cold, foggy and miserable.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:50 am
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Have a looksie

http://www.anewlifeinaustralia.com/money-matters.html

Erik the Viking
Old Jun 6th 2006, 9:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by The Norwegian

Cheers Erik
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

Yer, Bert'll be lucky to leave Lilianfels! Conference is so poorly organised that he wont have time to do much. We have friends in Katoomba and he doubts he'll get time to see them, even if they go to him!

Don't tempt me with the Katoomba cafes - I miss it so much. Nothing like it, at least here in Mackay. Another friend has just opened a new cafe in Katoomba but I dont know the name yet!

Stella
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:19 am
Account Closed

Yer, Bert'll be lucky to leave Lilianfels! Conference is so poorly organised that he wont have time to do much. We have friends in Katoomba and he doubts he'll get time to see them, even if they go to him!

Don't tempt me with the Katoomba cafes - I miss it so much. Nothing like it, at least here in Mackay. Another friend has just opened a new cafe in Katoomba but I dont know the name yet!

Stella

Really? Let me know the name and we'll go support them.

At least he's at Lilianfels though... It could be worse.
Old Jun 6th 2006, 5:00 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anglo Australian couples

I received the $7,000 grant when I bought my first house.

The rule was that you had to be an owner-occupier, and had to live in your new property for at least a year before selling.

The original grant was $7,000 for a "second-hand" house and $14,000 for a new build.

The scheme was introduced in 2001 to offset the introduction of the GST, and is still going strong - though the owner-builder grant has since dropped to $14,000.

The grant was paid by the federal government, with no repayment necesary (unless you sold your house within the first year of ownership.)

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jun 6th 2006 at 5:03 pm.