Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anger on our roads

Wikiposts

Anger on our roads

Old Apr 30th 2003, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We had problems in Sydney, but I was driving a campervan at the time! Main thing there was how long it takes to get anywhere, even in a car, it takes ages to get through traffic. Just forget cars and rush hour.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 6:39 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

It's true then, Queenslanders are as mad as snakes.
Old Apr 30th 2003, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to agree with people's comments regarding Brisbane and Queensland drivers. We've just come back from Aus , having visited Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane and Cairns. We also drove the Great Ocean Road. The standard of driving in Brisbane was appalling - we got the impression that people switch on cruise control and at the same time disengage their brains. It would be the main reason why we wouldn't move to Brisbane - in all honesty! We could both see us losing our licences through sheer frustration...
Old Apr 30th 2003, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats you have all convinced me not to drive over there, when and if we get there. However we still have road rage here especially in the graveyard where i live, full of BLOODY OAPS that should have had there licences taken away long ago, and they even have the cheek to blame you. I don`t worry about supermarket parking now having just paid £120 quid to get to knocks out of car courtesy of trollies i now just take up two spaces far enough away from the old.

Sorry just got back from sainsburys after run in with rude, pain in arse eldery man. Who had the cheek to have a go at me for double parking and he was in a family space.

Sorry ranting over.

footie chick
Old May 1st 2003, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by dotty
We had problems in Sydney, but I was driving a campervan at the time! Main thing there was how long it takes to get anywhere, even in a car, it takes ages to get through traffic. Just forget cars and rush hour.
Compared to the southeast of London we think Sydney is a breeze where driving is concerned, major improvement for us. What seems to hold the traffic up here is all the misplaced traffic lights, once they are green the traffic flows, where as around southeast London what holds the traffic up is the sheer volume, lights go green and you're still 'parked'.

I haven't been faced with any road rage here yet but then I tend to make use of my 3.8L V6 power and assertive driving. Helps having a commodore wagon, people tend to not argue.

What I have found though is drivers when changing lanes, tend to indicate and go whether you are there or not, this took some getting used to as in UK you would wait to be let out. So I have now adopted their way and find people will let you out if you indicate and just push in, no worries! I don't hang around to be argued with.

Mandy
Old May 1st 2003, 1:39 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Is this a competition to see which country has the best road rage?

In that case: In South Africa you get shot at or run off the road if you raise a fist or a finger at anyone so count yourselves lucky.

Old May 1st 2003, 2:00 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mandy Bale
Compared to the southeast of London we think Sydney is a breeze where driving is concerned, major improvement for us. What seems to hold the traffic up here is all the misplaced traffic lights, once they are green the traffic flows, where as around southeast London what holds the traffic up is the sheer volume, lights go green and you're still 'parked'.

I haven't been faced with any road rage here yet but then I tend to make use of my 3.8L V6 power and assertive driving. Helps having a commodore wagon, people tend to not argue.

What I have found though is drivers when changing lanes, tend to indicate and go whether you are there or not, this took some getting used to as in UK you would wait to be let out. So I have now adopted their way and find people will let you out if you indicate and just push in, no worries! I don't hang around to be argued with.

Mandy
You have fitted in already with the dead heads who infest Australian roads then?
The commodore is hardly a speed machine an over weight piece of crap covers it , even the V8 is not going to set any speed records the V6 is way under powered for a tank.

Old May 1st 2003, 2:26 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by footie chick
Thats you have all convinced me not to drive over there, when and if we get there. However we still have road rage here especially in the graveyard where i live, full of BLOODY OAPS that should have had there licences taken away long ago, and they even have the cheek to blame you. I don`t worry about supermarket parking now having just paid £120 quid to get to knocks out of car courtesy of trollies i now just take up two spaces far enough away from the old.

Sorry just got back from sainsburys after run in with rude, pain in arse eldery man. Who had the cheek to have a go at me for double parking and he was in a family space.

Sorry ranting over.

footie chick
You don't want to park in the local supermarket carparks here either - Hubby borrowed my car, two days after I bought it to go to Office works - which has a very large car park. He came out and there was a trolley against the drivers door and a huge scratch! - someone must have just banged it in - only person around was a woman with a screaming kid. I was very P*ssed off when hubby came back - I'd like to catch one of these dick heads in the act.

My local supermarket have trolleys leaning against all the cars - not enough trolley bays - and lazy people. It's a prob in Aus too. Put this way if I had a Ferrari - I would be too scared to park it anywhere in Brisbane.

cheers
Old May 1st 2003, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

bobinoz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving in Sydney

Agree with Dotty that Sydney's got much less traffic than London.

Thing that shits me up are the narrow lanes. 3 cars going each way with nothing seperating the 2 directions. It's a recipe for disaster. And Jesus when it rains and you can't see anything it really gets scary!

Getting a Nissan 350Z at the end of the month. Hope I survive long enough to enjoy it!
Old May 1st 2003, 3:59 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving in Sydney

Originally posted by bobinoz
Agree with Dotty that Sydney's got much less traffic than London.

Thing that shits me up are the narrow lanes. 3 cars going each way with nothing seperating the 2 directions. It's a recipe for disaster. And Jesus when it rains and you can't see anything it really gets scary!

Getting a Nissan 350Z at the end of the month. Hope I survive long enough to enjoy it!
Very flash not a fan of Fords or Holdens then ? then looking at at it I can see why you would buy it , same price as a Crapadore (Commodore) but with style.
Sports models in WA are few and far apart the in thing is 4 wheel drive monsters , Sydney must be all together different.
have fun looks a dream.
Attached Thumbnails Anger on our roads-nis350z2.jpg  
Old May 1st 2003, 4:00 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad to hear that Brisbane is the worst for drivers, it's a good job the rest of the country is better. As for driving along and suddenly finding the lane you're in ends in 200M and you have to force yourself over with noone letting you in.. I also see people stopping at the slip roads onto the motorway to wait for a gap, how mad is that?
Old May 1st 2003, 4:08 pm
Banned

Originally posted by jayr
I'm glad to hear that Brisbane is the worst for drivers, it's a good job the rest of the country is better. As for driving along and suddenly finding the lane you're in ends in 200M and you have to force yourself over with noone letting you in.. I also see people stopping at the slip roads onto the motorway to wait for a gap, how mad is that?
Same rules apply in Perth , getting onto the Freeway is an art in its self , first timers learn quick.
First foot to the metal on slip road , then look for a gap do not try and indicate this gives the game away and the car behind on the freeway will run you off the road .
Beware of those who pull back and seem like they are giving you an even break , theres no quarter given in this game.
Watch out for Asian drivers over taking on the hard shoulder must be the custom in China.

Old May 1st 2003, 4:29 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by jayr
lol- yes - I do find the sign posting is bad regarding two lanes going into one and other "hazards" some are too short notice, and some are non existent!. Next time you're driving look to see if there is a sign for Traffic lights ahead , or bridge ahead - a lot of places have no signs warning you of up coming things, and as for direction signs - prepared to get lost if you've never been to a certain area before - I find Brisbane very bad for this. Newcastle in Nsw was better than this - and they are not too brilliant either.

I'd like to meet the person or persons who plan the roads here in Brisbane. Hope they are reading this! Wake up

cheers
Old May 1st 2003, 6:23 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

You think that's bad? Where I live in Europe they only just got roundabouts and never got any training for them in the driving test (those that took a driving test, that is - most seem to have bribed their way through, judging by the driving). So once a week or so you meet people driving round the roundabouts the wrong way, keeps you wonderfully concentrated.

Cheers - Don
Old May 1st 2003, 7:42 pm
Banned

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
You think that's bad? Where I live in Europe they only just got roundabouts and never got any training for them in the driving test (those that took a driving test, that is - most seem to have bribed their way through, judging by the driving). So once a week or so you meet people driving round the roundabouts the wrong way, keeps you wonderfully concentrated.

Cheers - Don
Roundabouts thats rocket science stuff in Australia they run adverts on how to use them , try this they tell people give way who every gets on first.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.