Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anadin Extra anybody?

Anadin Extra anybody?

Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anadin Extra anybody?

Just been reading through some old brisbane suburbs threads & feel as if my brain is starting to melt!!! Talk about info overload
Anyways, we are coming out next year on a reccie. Probably spend about a week to 10 days in Brisbane & will be looking at places to stay when we finally make the big move. We are trying to narrow down suburbs, but are finding it really difficult. So here I come, cap in hand, begging for advice. We have a friend in North Lakes, & it does look pretty good although the houses look a bit shoe-horned together Bayside always seems to get good reviews, & some propertys to the west of CBD seems a good bit cheaper than a lot of other places (already been warned off Inala though). So heres our remit
1. We have 2 boys who will be aged 4 & 6 when we arrive, so good schooling is an obvious issue.
2. Looking to spend between $400k to $500k on, hopefully, a 4 bedroom property.
3. I will most likely be working at Brisbane Airport, and would prefer a commute of no more than 30 mins. Is this acheivable from the Bayside area?

Thanks in advance guys

Oh and it's 0330 back here in the UK, has anybody got any pain relief for toothache. It's killing me
Old Nov 25th 2009, 4:20 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Anadin Extra anybody?

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Just been reading through some old brisbane suburbs threads & feel as if my brain is starting to melt!!! Talk about info overload
Anyways, we are coming out next year on a reccie. Probably spend about a week to 10 days in Brisbane & will be looking at places to stay when we finally make the big move. We are trying to narrow down suburbs, but are finding it really difficult. So here I come, cap in hand, begging for advice. We have a friend in North Lakes, & it does look pretty good although the houses look a bit shoe-horned together Bayside always seems to get good reviews, & some propertys to the west of CBD seems a good bit cheaper than a lot of other places (already been warned off Inala though). So heres our remit
1. We have 2 boys who will be aged 4 & 6 when we arrive, so good schooling is an obvious issue.
3. I will most likely be working at Brisbane Airport, and would prefer a commute of no more than 30 mins. Is this acheivable from the Bayside area?

Thanks in advance guys

Oh and it's 0330 back here in the UK, has anybody got any pain relief for toothache. It's killing me
Manly to Brisbane airport is quoted at about 20-25 minutes.
I did it last week from Victoria Point in 35 minutes, but 55 minutes coming back, with bad traffic on the bridge.

2 example houses in my area:
$485,000 brand new 4 bed 2 bath double garage (First Home buyers special ) http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2008064697

$418,000 4 bed 2 bath double garage http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2008117547

Tooth ache ? A bottle of Vodka cured mine once.... all of a full bottle

Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance guys

Get something with a mixture of paracetamol and codeine - I found that was the only thing that would kill the pain. I am also informed by my nurse wife that it is common to take nurofen as well; stagger the paracetamol/nurofen by 2 hours. Just be careful not to exceed the maximum dose and ensure it is safe for you to take.

Also - get to the dentist and get it fixed. I suffered for ages before giving up and having a root canal done - didn't hurt at all and the first treatment killed the pain almost immediately.
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I did it last week from Victoria Point in 35 minutes, but 55 minutes coming back, with bad traffic on the bridge.

$485,000 brand new 4 bed 2 bath double garage (First Home buyers special ) http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2008064697

$418,000 4 bed 2 bath double garage http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2008117547

Thanks ABC. The vodka is out as I'm at work Did manage a few hours head down there right enough Just wakened!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Get something with a mixture of paracetamol and codeine - I found that was the only thing that would kill the pain. I am also informed by my nurse wife that it is common to take nurofen as well; stagger the paracetamol/nurofen by 2 hours. Just be careful not to exceed the maximum dose and ensure it is safe for you to take.

Also - get to the dentist and get it fixed. I suffered for ages before giving up and having a root canal done - didn't hurt at all and the first treatment killed the pain almost immediately.
Cheers. Actually had pain a few months ago but by the time I saw the dentist it was gone. She offered to take the suspect tooth out anyway, but me being a big girls blouse, denied her kind offer
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

ABC, when do you think is the worst time of the day to travel that route to the airport. Have never had traffic cause me much hassle in the UK due to usually working shifts. Not sure if that would be the same case in Brisbane.
And, in your opinion, is the area you are in good for kids, i.e. parkland etc. We really just want them to be able to run about & play as much sport as poss!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:25 am
ABCDiamond

ABC, when do you think is the worst time of the day to travel that route to the airport. Have never had traffic cause me much hassle in the UK due to usually working shifts. Not sure if that would be the same case in Brisbane.
And, in your opinion, is the area you are in good for kids, i.e. parkland etc. We really just want them to be able to run about & play as much sport as poss!
My area for Kids, I personally think is very good. It feels safe, and that was one reason for us choosing this area, as we had a 6 year old when we moved here. She is now 13. There are plenty of sport options for kids, if you want them

Travelling from here to the airport... the one problem is when there is a problem at the bridge, there are no other real options.

It isn't like travelling to the city, where you could take a different route. For example, my wife travels to the City every day, but avoids Old Cleveland road, and does the trip normally in about 45 minutes, starting at work at 8am.

I do know people who travel over that bridge every day, working at Eagle Farm, but mainly shift work, so I think they tend to avoid main peak times.

You could look at the Gateway Bridge web cam, and see what the traffic looks like at various times.
http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/Road...ooking%20North)

also the one at Airport Drive... http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/Road...ooking%20North)

However, things will change for the better, when the additional bridge is complete, and the current road works completed.
Gateway Bridge Upgrade project

Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

My area for Kids, I personally think is very good. It feels safe, and that was one reason for us choosing this area, as we had a 6 year old when we moved here. She is now 13. There are plenty of sport options for kids, if you want them

Travelling from here to the airport... the one problem is when there is a problem at the bridge, there are no other real options.

It isn't like travelling to the city, where you could take a different route. For example, my wife travels to the City every day, but avoids Old Cleveland road, and does the trip normally in about 45 minutes, starting at work at 8am.

I do know people who travel over that bridge every day, working at Eagle Farm, but mainly shift work, so I think they tend to avoid main peak times.

You could look at the Gateway Bridge web cam, and see what the traffic looks like at various times.
http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/Road...ooking%20North)

also the one at Airport Drive... http://www.mainroads.qld.gov.au/Road...ooking%20North)

However, things will change for the better, when the additional bridge is complete, and the current road works completed.
Gateway Bridge Upgrade project
Thanks ABC. As always, you are a font of knowledge May be contacting you about a short term rental next year when we eventually pin down some dates
Old Nov 25th 2009, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anybody got any relevant info regarding the burbs to the west of Bris CBD and/or North Lakes. Would be appreciated
Old Nov 25th 2009, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

(
If you want beach type area with easy access to airport, look at woody point/redciffe areas Woody point is much nicer IMO than redcliffe and closer to the new bridge that will mean 6 lanes over the sea to northside city and airport - The upgrade of the road to the airport should also be finished if you know the facilities etc around northlakes, woody point is about 10 mins drive from there but on the water,

Sorry about no full stops, staple is stuck in keyboard
Old Nov 25th 2009, 10:11 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

30 minutes to the airport from here (The Gap)... and the some of the best best state schools (and state high school) in Brisbane.
$500k would get you a livable 4 bed house ( I think - its been a while since I checked property values).

Problems? Long way from beach of that bothers you.... (but close to cool breezy hills)
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If you want beach type area with easy access to airport, look at woody point/redciffe areas Woody point is much nicer IMO than redcliffe and closer to the new bridge that will mean 6 lanes over the sea to northside city and airport - The upgrade of the road to the airport should also be finished if you know the facilities etc around northlakes, woody point is about 10 mins drive from there but on the water,

Sorry about no full stops, staple is stuck in keyboard
I know the feeling. My two have ripped 7 letters from my keyboard. Takes forever to type anything
We looked at Woody point, and thought it was too far out. But an extra 10 mins doesn't sound much. Have you been to North Lakes. Is it as condensed as some say?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DadAgain
30 minutes to the airport from here (The Gap)... and the some of the best best state schools (and state high school) in Brisbane.
$500k would get you a livable 4 bed house ( I think - its been a while since I checked property values).

Problems? Long way from beach of that bothers you.... (but close to cool breezy hills)
The Gap does look nice, but having checked realestate.com.au, think we would have to pay nearer the $600k mark for a 4 bedroom.